Sweezy declined penalty

chevelle03

Reaction score
1st and 15 at GB 44 (8:02) R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

Has anyone ever seen a penalty like this declined? Aren't personal fouls tacked on to the result of the play if they happen after the play is over like this one did? That would have made it 2nd and 45 (and we ended up scoring a TD on that drive.)

RunTheBall

Reaction score
they ruled it happened during the play... so it was take the penalty and replay the down or take the sack.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the explanation.

Not sure how that can be ruled unnecessary roughness if its during the play, though. Can you not a hit a guy who is in the process of tackling your teammate?

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's a good point, and something I was wondering about as well.

It seemed pretty borderline to me as it was, and if it was during the play, I don't see the problem with it. OLmen hit guys to get them off their QBs all the time.

Sweezy did get a clown suit put on him by Peppers though, several times. I hope he plays better in the Superbowl.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It looked like he speared him in the back with his helmet. That's a move Sweezy has done before. We were lucky it was judged to have occurred during the play. Otherwise, we would have been facing a 2nd and 45 and in jeopardy of losing the field position battle.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
I definitely thought it occurred after the play when I saw it live. Could have been a back breaker considering we scored our first points on that drive. Anyway, glad it wasn't and thanks for the replies. At least the ruling, and the subsequent declination (that's a fun word) make sense to me now.

OP
OP
chevelle03

chevelle03

Reaction score
I definitely thought it occurred after the play when I saw it live. Could have been a back breaker considering we scored our first points on that drive. Anyway, glad it wasn't and thanks for the replies. At least the ruling, and the subsequent declination (that's a fun word) make sense to me now.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
It was a crappy call, the play happened AFTER Russell was down.

Not that I'm complaining but rather arguing for accuracy.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This is one I don't get. I didn't think it mattered when it happened if it's a personal foul. For example, a face mask penalty is a personal foul. It happens during the play and it is tacked on the result of the play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
This one still made no sense. The personal foul penalties I've paid attention to all seemed to get added to the end of the play. Maybe the ref that called it realized it was so ticky-tack that his "makeup call" was to determine that it happened during the "live" portion of the play, instead of dead ball foul.

At the time it baffled me, and I wondered if GB declined it out of pity and sportsmanship, because we were already plenty backed-up enough. You have to figure that Green Bay was presented by the refs with the *option* of either the play or the penalty.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I loved this penalty by Sweezy. Every defensive player is going to lay some extra weight onto the QB after a sack. Sweezy wasn't going to let him. He was protecting his QB. If you watch the play, Sweezy saw the sack coming and timed his "block" to get Clay Matthews off Wilson a split-second later, so it was more simultaneous than "after the play".

razgriz737

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":5mwu98mr said:
I loved this penalty by Sweezy. Every defensive player is going to lay some extra weight onto the QB after a sack. Sweezy wasn't going to let him. He was protecting his QB. If you watch the play, Sweezy saw the sack coming and timed his "block" to get Clay Matthews off Wilson a split-second later, so it was more simultaneous than "after the play".
Yep I was just going to say at that point I was happy Sweezy did that. Russ had already taken both of Matthews' questionable hits by that point, so I appreciated him sticking up for his QB.