Read Option Plays - Clarification

pehawk

Reaction score
I know there's been some questioning of the frequency in which it was called and when. I still contend when the Hawks ran it from wider sets, 4WR sets late, that was the only time Russ had a true option to keep it.

Barnwell has an article up about the NFCCG, where he states; the Seahawks ran the RO 7 times for 28 yards in the first 3 quarters and 10 times in the 4th quarter/OT for 93 yards and two TD's. FWIW

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2shlermk said:
I'm hoping we give NE a healthy dose of it.

Me too. It's something they have historically had trouble with. At the very least it'll help pull a guy out of coverage and help the receivers out.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The RO sure seems to be a cheap way to sustain drives, doesn't it?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":5ln7wwqy said:

I've had that same thought. At the same time, if you can't stop it, why should the other team stop using the play. Over and over, if necessary. I don't think Ohio State is less a team for running like 9 Counter plays in a row. I was pissed at Oregon's lack of adjustment.

mistaowen

Reaction score
NE's linebackers are not great in space against quick guys. Justin Forsett carved them up with quick hitters. Jamaal Charles is that defenses kryptonite. I think RO would work wonders next week if the spy sells out to stop Marshawn like the Redskins did.

As for the GB game, there seemed to be room in the first 3 quarters for RW to keep the ball. In a few cases, the spy stayed with him and didn't go after Marshawn. He appeared to be sitting back waiting and the only one keying on him, at least from the camera angles shown. We've seen him make guys look silly in open space. He got some easy first down runs in the fourth when actually keeping it and I think it was there for the taking all game. Marshawn had an excellent game though so there's no fault in him getting almost every RO carry. I could be way off although Kaep always has success keeping it against GB. I truly wonder if the gameplan is to lull defenses into expecting Marshawn every time and then hitting them later in the game with some big RW runs.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":14yht7o5 said:
pehawk":14yht7o5 said:

I've had that same thought. At the same time, if you can't stop it, why should the other team stop using the play. Over and over, if necessary. I don't think Ohio State is less a team for running like 9 Counter plays in a row. I was pissed at Oregon's lack of adjustment.

I meant cheap as in easy. Also, its not like the Patriots are going to just line up and be sportsman like. At least the RO isn't a gimmick based on a loophole.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I think we play the way we do on purpose. Anyone can tell the difference between a regular handoff and a read option one. So early in the game RW just keeps handing it off to ML and lets him beat on people. Late in the game, when the D is about gassed and at least a half step slow, RW keeps it and bests them to the corner/edge. Also less chance of getting blasted.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I was surprised we didn't do more of it against GB. They have been pretty bad historically in this regard and it seemed open at times to me. We had some success with it late in the game as well. I have a feeling we see a ton of it in the SB.

bandiger

Reaction score
I honestly hope we run on NE all game, they don't look too impressive against the run.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":2nguytxs said:
I was surprised we didn't do more of it against GB. They have been pretty bad historically in this regard and it seemed open at times to me. We had some success with it late in the game as well. I have a feeling we see a ton of it in the SB.

I think you're eye is more technical than mine, but, I agree completely. I was very frustrated.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We were in no huddle w/ 3WR/1TE/1RB personnel in our last two drives at the end of regulation. Obviously, we would run high percentage of RO because we aren't subbing out at that point. We also stayed out of bad yardage situations so the threat was alive on every down. The RO personnel in the first half is exactly the same. The only difference is whether the TE lines up inline or as WR4, but they run keepers out of both looks.

Clay Matthews was also on the sideline for the last six minutes of regulation. I don't know if that made a difference, but the eye test suggests they were slower and less disciplined up front without him in the game. I also agree with the interpretation in another thread that RW is more liberal with the "keeper read" late in games. It's been that way basically always, and I think it works because it can't be adjusted for early on.