Faster passing Russell Wilson

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I love this quote

"He makes great defenses look like peewee football." -Willson

In last weekend's playoff game with three touchdowns passes from Wilson that happened in the blink of an eye.
All three plays took less than 2.5 seconds from the time the ball was snapped until the time Wilson made his throw, and two of them took less than 1.5 seconds.

Here's the breakdown of those TDs:

1.4 seconds: Wilson to receiver Doug Baldwin for a 16-yard score.

First quarter, third-and-9. Baldwin, in the slot to the left, notices Panthers defensive back Colin Jones is sneaking up to blitz. Baldwin taps his leg to signal Wilson to look his way.

Wilson takes the snap from the shotgun and sees Baldwin headed for the end zone. Wilson lofts the pass sky high, giving Baldwin a chance to run under it after he freezes safety Tre Boston with a stutter step at the 5. The pass floats right into Baldwin's hands in the end zone, but snap to pass was less than a second and a half.

2.4 seconds: Wilson to receiver Jermaine Kearse for a 63-yard score.

Third-and-7 at the Seattle 37. Kearse is the inside receiver in a three-wide formation to the right. Cornerback Bené Benwikere is on him in bump-and-run coverage. Kearse runs a cross-country route, slanting across the field deep.

Wilson takes the snap from the shotgun and chucks it deep, dropping the ball right over Kearse's right shoulder. Kearse makes a spectacular one-handed catch with his right hand while fending off Benewikere with his left hand, then outruns Boston to the goal line and dives to the pylon.

The play took a while, but snap to throw didn't take long.

1.3 seconds: Wilson to tight end Luke Willson for a 25-yard score.

Fourth quarter, third-and-10. Luke Willson is split wide to the right and sees that cornerback Melvin White is 10 yards back in zone coverage with no one inside except a safety deep.

Russell Wilson sees it, too. He takes the snap from the shotgun and immediately zips a pass to Willson, who had taken three quick steps inside, split the coverage and raced to the end zone.

"I saw in a little window and Russ threw it right on time," Willson said. "He makes great defenses look like peewee football."

The Seahawks scored three TDs on plays that took a grand total of 5.1 seconds from the snap to the throw. Cue MC Hammer: "Can't touch this."

It's no secret the Seahawks have struggled at times with pass protection, but you can avoid a lot of those issues by getting plays off in less than three seconds.

"We need more of the fast rhythm stuff to eliminate the rush issue and hopefully get the ball out quicker," Carroll said. "It's good to see it happen. You have a chance to get the ball out before they can get to you. There's a lot that goes into that. It's not just the quarterback. It's the timing of the route."

Wilson said the speed of execution is something he works on constantly.

"I think the biggest thing that I've learned and continue to try to progress on is getting the ball out on time," Wilson said. "It's just understanding protections and understanding what we're trying to do. That's the biggest thing for us."

One of the first people to greet Wilson in the locker room after the Carolina game was Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon, who has been a mentor to Wilson.

"I was congratulating him for the rhythm that he showed in getting the ball out quickly," Moon said. "And the accuracy he had when he did it."

The full story here...
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... st-to-stop