Tony Ventrella

Laloosh

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend anyone who's a big fan or a personal friend but my God, can the guy be any more boring when it comes to asking questions or doing the .com video stuff?

Be nice to have someone who's a little more... interesting(?), with that kind of access to the team and players. I find myself dozing off as I wait for him to put enough words together to form a question. Maybe it's just me missing the Real Rob Report but I cringe when I accidentally click on one of Tony's links on the site.

Cartire

Reaction score
Laloosh":1279epjc said:
I don't mean to offend anyone who's a big fan or a personal friend but my God, can the guy be any more boring when it comes to asking questions or doing the .com video stuff?

Be nice to have someone who's a little more... interesting(?), with that kind of access to the team and players. I find myself dozing off as I wait for him to put enough words together to form a question. Maybe it's just me missing the Real Rob Report but I cringe when I accidentally click on one of Tony's links on the site.

Hes been doing it forever, and his age has effected his enthusiasm. I got respect for the guy because of nostalgia, but I do believe that retirement should be a sought after option for him soon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ventrella's like Steve Raible, they're company men. So you're not going to get controversy or compelling questions/answers out of them when it comes to reporting or interviews.

But I'd say most of the local TV reporters and personalities fit into this boat. They ask the easy questions so they can continue to get access to the team and players.

byau

Reaction score
I like him. He's nice

And I agree. Couldn't put my finger on his interview style until just recently and then realized he'd be the perfect interview for Marshawn

99% of the questions he asks could be answered "Yeah"

dopeboy206

Reaction score
If you want controversy Mitch from KJR is your guy. As much as people dislike the guy you can't deny he asks the best questions and isn't afraid to ask the tough ones. He is the Howard Stern of Seattle sports media.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like him for the nostalgic angle but I agree, it's time for Tony to perhaps consider something else.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I generally avoid all of the fluff pieces he and Farnsworth put out for .com. I can't really view them as anything but corporate shills.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I used to hate him, after he cut me off one day near my house. LOL
He's just getting old, like Dave Neihaus did. BUT, Dave was far more loved and respected so we put up with his aging.
Tony interviewed me two years in a row (2010 & 2011) for the Seahawks 12k (I run in full uniform) and he asked the EXACT same questions both years.

Seen @ 1:59
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 3490886aad

Here is his interview the third year :29 into the video.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... b8afd75c25

SirTed

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2pn55qc6 said:
I generally avoid all of the fluff pieces he and Farnsworth put out for .com. I can't really view them as anything but corporate shills.

Yeah, I think this just about sums it up for me - but that's totally okay at this point. There are about 1,000 different bloggers, writers, talking heads out there who are a little more fiery - but considering these are Seahawk staffers - I don't expect anything from them.

Keep gettin' dem checks, Tony.

byau

Reaction score
Aros":3pl2hjp5 said:
I like him for the nostalgic angle but I agree, it's time for Tony to perhaps consider something else.

Yes.. good way to put it. Nostalgic. And he still looks dang near the same too from 20+ years ago when I was growing up watching him on the news.

I still like him and can understand he wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea when it comes to interviews.

grizbob

Reaction score
You kids are just spoiled, you've got a young cool team to root for and now you want all aspects of the team to be young and cool :D

I like Tony cause he's a I'm old and nostalgic. :thfight7:

hoxrox

Reaction score
I've noticed this for awhile also.. his boring questions elicit the same boring cliche answers from players every time..

"gotta take it one game at a time"
"need to look at the film"
"trying to get better every day"
"control what we can control"

All Marshawn needs to do is use those answers, and he'll be good to go.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's getting paid by the Seahawks. Of course he's going to pitch softballs constantly.

If any of you got paid by the Seahawks, you'd do the exact same thing. So would I.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Obviously the OP does not know the difference between a beat reporter and an organizational communications person. Very different jobs and objectives.

Beat reporter = find all the dirt.

Organization Communications Person = Make organization look good and positive.

umadbrolob

Reaction score
But Clare Farnsworth is by far worse, to me. He couldn't put his man pants on if he tried, imo.

Tical21

Reaction score
You take that back right now! You have no right to talk about Tony Ventrella in that way! You probably hate children and dogs. And old people. And Damon Huard.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I've got no problems with him. He's employed by the team, so I'm not sure what some people expect. He doesn't get very 'fired up,' like Coach does, but he's got that warm-and-fuzzy Motel 6 'we'll leave the light on for ya,' hosptitable feeling to his delivery.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
v1rotv2":12lh87gq said:
Obviously the OP does not know the difference between a beat reporter and an organizational communications person. Very different jobs and objectives.

Beat reporter = find all the dirt.

Organization Communications Person = Make organization look good and positive.

I never said the guy had to be controversial. How about little up-beat and charismatic at the very least. Perhaps more than 4 words per minute spoken... Are those traits that are allowed in an "organizational communications person"? If you're the head of marketing for the team, do you want people tuning in or tuning out when your "organizational communication person", you know... communicates?