Thoughts on kicking (not punting) special teams?

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
I'm just not impressed on either side of the ball - more so when we receive.

Man for man, hold your block and try to block as kickoff assignment is called. (Middle return, return right/left.)

Am I the only one who thinks changes need to be made?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say the consensus has been that special teams KO and PR units this year are the weakest part of this team.

Pete's been trying to change things, but no one's stepped up.........which is why safety valve Walters is back returning punts. Richardson's been alright, not great, but OK for me.

But yes, one of the off season priorities is to either develop a more dynamic punt returner, or go find one in FA or the draft.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
They were able to "part the waters" for the Percy Harvin return in the Super Bowl. Since then...I haven't seen much. Richardson had a nice return to the 30+ yard line yesterday, but that was about it.

OP
OP
D

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
Not even sure who our ST coach is? Time for a ST coaching change?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
daveCFPrez":30fxicv3 said:
Any relation to our GM?

No, I think he's a USC guy that came with Pete in 2010. We've had very good special teams up until this year, so I'm not going to put the recent woes on Schneider.

IMO it's a personnel issue, gotta find the right personnel depth. Remember we also lost some key guys last year like Maragos and lost some key guys to injury this year like Farwell.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He came from the Raiders and was with Pete for one year at USC before Pete brought him along to Seattle. I don't know where he was prior to Oakland.

pehawk

Reaction score
Theres been really, really bad blocking on kickoffs. Scheme and execution.

shawnsim

Reaction score
I am just glad that the Earl Thomas experiment is over. Dude has too much heart to fair catch. At least Walters is safe. I think went a long way in Pete's choice of him.

Okay NOT punting. Although punt blocking has been bad as well.

I am all for Baldwin taking the spot from Richardson. Baldwin seemed to generate great things from time to time. He is shifty and compact. Paul is tall and lean and just seems to run in straight lines.

baumer64

Reaction score
I'd like to see Richardson try punt returns and Baldwin go back to kick returns.

Latest posts