Sweezy an All-Pro?

seabowl

Reaction score
I know I've read some people have said that Sweezy is playing at an all pro level this year. Have to admit I don't watch the line much but what I did see last week is him blown by his assignment twice on the last few plays causing Russ to scramble for his life. Again I don't watch the line that much but I just don't see All-Pro in him. Hutch was a perennial All-Pro and rarely if ever did I see him get beat let alone on 2 plays almost in a row.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
The thing about an Offensive Lineman is that he can play an almost flawless game and then have 1 bad play and that's all the casual observer will recognize. Sweezy shut Poe down for pretty much the entire game. He did have the 2 lapses there at the end and that was a very unfortunate time to have them. It looks to me like he doesn't trust Lewis very much. If you go back and watch the play where he gave up the sack his attention was drawn to what Lewis was doing.

Do I think Sweezy is an All Pro? He is real close. His first year he was a rookie with growing pains, his second year he was a very serviceable RG and this year he is one of the better RG in the league.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
He's had some obvious and devastating run blocking going all season. Pass-blocking whiffs (most recently against Poe as mentioned) are still notable.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
All-Pro is a stretch. Is he improving? Yes but a ways to go to consider him an All-Pro. All-pro guards don't let defensive tackles go unabated to their QBs. Sweezy does that repeatedly at the worst times possible.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sweezy is still developing consistency. He has had some of the most dominant blocks on the season, opening up huge holes through the right A gap for Lynch. He's also improving as a pass blocker, allowing 19 total pressures (down from 20 at this point last season). Unfortunately, he's also had some major brain farts in getting Wilson hit. Poe made him look silly at the most critical juncture of the game. Playing next to a rookie has not helped, as Britt has allowed a team-high 32 pressures. Overall, Sweezy has allowed seven QB hits and sacks, which is the most of the team. I expect him to continue to improve.

I'm more concerned about Britt's ceiling as an outside pass protector. He has short arms for a tackle (33 1/2'')-- shorter than Bailey's. And he does not look fluid moving laterally. If he earns a second contract, he might be better served moving inside in the future. That makes drafting tackles, who excel in pass protection, even more vital.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think a Pro Bowl nod would definitely be warranted.

He's a dominant run blocker on a run-first team. If you go by football outsiders, the Seahawks have had a historically great season as a rush offense; I would hope that the most obvious worthy candidate contributing to the run blocking would get some award recognition.

Rat

Reaction score
For offensive linemen, All-Pro selections are primarily based on reputation. Sweezy has a ways to go there.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
kobebryant":2yx8kvxg said:
I think a Pro Bowl nod would definitely be warranted.

He's a dominant run blocker on a run-first team. If you go by football outsiders, the Seahawks have had a historically great season as a rush offense; I would hope that the most obvious worthy candidate contributing to the run blocking would get some award recognition.

The historically great season as a rush offense is partially (a large part at that) due to Wilson having an incredible season running the ball and on a lot of plays where our OL can't protect him in the pocket. I like Sweezy but at this point he isn't IMO an All Pro player.

cacksman

Reaction score
Rat":333r78ss said:
For offensive linemen, All-Pro selections are primarily based on reputation. Sweezy has a ways to go there.

I think you mean pro bowl. All Pro voting is done by people that watch tape more than look at stats/know names.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":2rxrmrx6 said:
The thing about an Offensive Lineman is that he can play an almost flawless game and then have 1 bad play and that's all the casual observer will recognize..

Indeed. And given that he's a DL convert in his third NFL year, and was playing against a Pro Bowl OL between a rookie and a third-string center last week, I have to think our returns on the guy are pretty impressive. Pro Bowl might still be a ways away.

kmedic

Reaction score
I don't think one can be considered an All-Pro lineman if you're great at run blocking but below average at pass blocking.

nepahawk

Reaction score
cacksman":22eawoq2 said:
Rat":22eawoq2 said:

I think you mean pro bowl. All Pro voting is done by people that watch tape more than look at stats/know names.

Pro Bowl nomination and All Pro are 2 different animals.
Pro Bowl nomination close, All Pro is a ways off but, maybe some day.

Largent80

Reaction score
He IS a pro bowl run blocker. Not so much a pass blocker, but he is improving and to me, the rock of the O-Line.