Zach Miller placed on IR, out for year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Uphill battle in front of us. Let's go, Hawks.

byau

Reaction score
Huge loss. Zach has been out for awhile. Looked like Willson and Hefelt were starting to get in a groove but Willson now is banged up too right?

And too bad you can't combine them, last game Willson had a few good blocks, and seems Hefelt can catch and run well.

I have no idea why I'm about to post this, because I can already imagine the reaction, but WTH: hey, Bruce Irvin @ TE. Just one of those naturally athletic guys that hey, you never know.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Well in college my friends son caught more passes from Russell than any one else. Maybe he can get a shot at TE on the practice squad.

http://www.sikids.com/sites/default...-preview-all-acc-team/images/george-bryan.jpg

Big George has great hands: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/21/n- ... eat-hands/

He can snare the ball away from his body and make catches with his back to the quarterback on the move. However, the reason he has been a quality target for his N.C. State quarterbacks has been another mark of great hands: gaining quick separation at the line of scrimmage.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Another big loss. Russell has been missing a safety valve this season (with Tate and now Miller gone) and this won't help. I think Garry Gilliam will do just fine in the blocking department and maybe making a catch or two, but either Willison, Helfet, Moeaki or Allen need to start adding something to the passing game, because right now none of them has shown to be as reliable as Miller has been over the last two years making consistent catches and Miller isn't even an elite TE, so that doesn't say much about the Seahawks current group.

taz291819

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawk":j467whm7 said:
Another big loss. Russell has been missing a safety valve this season (with Tate and now Miller gone) and this won't help. I think Garry Gilliam will do just fine in the blocking department and maybe making a catch or two, but either Willison, Helfet, Moeaki or Allen need to start adding something to the passing game, because right now none of them has shown to be as reliable as Miller has been over the last two years making consistent catches and Miller isn't even an elite TE, so that doesn't say much about the Seahawks current group.

He's not an elite pass-catching TE, but he is an elite blocking TE. But your point still holds.

irocdave

Reaction score
Wonder if Tony Gonzalez is still in shape and interested in a part time job? Only half joking, the passing game is in serious need of a big target with great hands.

HawkWow

Reaction score
NorCalSeahawk":3tdm8e77 said:

Miller is money.

Zach didn't just suddenly go downhill since his time as a pro-bowler. We dragged him downhill. Similar to what happened to ASJ last year at the Dub.

The numbers that put Miller in the pro-bowl eroded because like ASJ, the game around him changed. When you limit a TE's targets, asking him instead to stay in-line, you can't downgrade the guy for not producing as a ball catcher, and you shouldn't penalize him for not being a ball catcher. Yet our Hawks did exactly that in asking him to take half (IIRC) of his former pay and ASJ fell into the 2nd rd when another campaign like his Sophomore year would have piloted him into the 1st.

If not for Miller's love for this team, I am sure he could have got a better deal elsewhere. And again like ASJ, Zach is actually a better, more rounded TE for the experience. When Zach starts dropping the few balls that come his way, then I will be more apt to remove him from "elite" status.

Offensively speaking, Wilson is our brain, Marshawn our heart and Miller our backbone (imo).

HawkWow

Reaction score
irocdave":3atuqq09 said:
Wonder if Tony Gonzalez is still in shape and interested in a part time job? Only half joking, the passing game is in serious need of a big target with great hands.

I think Gonzo could suit up now and do well (as a pass catching TE) but if you believe him, he's made clear the only team that he would come back for would be the Falcons. That's what he swore to Blank and the fanbase.

Tony reminds me of a man of his word so I don't see him as a possibility. Good idea, though. I'd love to have the guy.

Steve2222

Reaction score
HawkWow":1b1ycd0z said:
irocdave":1b1ycd0z said:

I think Gonzo could suit up now and do well (as a pass catching TE) but if you believe him, he's made clear the only team that he would come back for would be the Falcons. That's what he swore to Blank and the fanbase.

Tony reminds me of a man of his word so I don't see him as a possibility. Good idea, though. I'd love to have the guy.

Where did you hear this? You have a source because that sounds like something you made up.