Scouts: Su'a-Filo best guard prospect since Hutch

TheWebHead

Reaction score
UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo could be the first guard selected in May's draft, which would make sense considering UCLA coach Jim Mora said two scouts told him that Su'a-Filo is the best guard prospect in the draft since Steve Hutchinson in 2001.

More...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ter_nfl_cb

Nice company and a guy who very likely could be there at #32, unless one of those 2 scouts have a lot of influence and are not working with the Seahawks...

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack last year were pretty damn good prospects. Top 12 picks.

It seems like every year there's always the "best Guard since Hutch" talk. Cooper, Warmack, DeCastro, and even Danny Watkins (no longer plays) were given this similar comparison.

I like Sua-Filo and believe he has massive potential, but if he's viewed as a similar prospect as Hutch, no chance he gets to 32.

kearly

Reaction score
He's a lot like JR Sweezy. Lots of athleticism, speed and hustle but not a ton of pure strength. Technique is kinda lacking too. Not sure why he's being hyped so much. I'd have mixed feelings if we got him at #32.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sua-Filo is so damn overrated. He got burned over and over again at UCLA. He doesn't have any pop off the line of scrimmage. Not a First Rounder, IMO.

OP
OP
TheWebHead

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Most of the tape I've seen of Su'a-Filo has him moving d-linemen in reverse, well down field, or ton them on pass downs.. He's also frequently mocked in the mid to back end of the first round by experts with a bit more gravitas than those on fan forums, certainly pegged higher on most draft boards than a o-lineman with tape facing MWC competition, who has a consensus third round grade.

justafan

Reaction score
I watched the asu and stanford video.The start of the ASU game he looked rough, lunging and missing several blocks.After the LT got hurt he slid over and actually looked better at tackle than guard.
Stanford he looked much better but not to the level that tells me he is another Hutch.Daniel Jeremiah has a huge man crush on him and had high praise for the Stranford game maybe he is right who knows at the end of the day.
I do think he will be better than either guard we have now though.
For the Hawks I agree with English on the Bitonio pick.I feel more confident that he could play the tackle position which is a pressing need since we lost Breno.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
justafan":ar0k8i98 said:
I do think he will be better than either guard we have now though.

Sua-Filo is not as talented as Sweezy, Bailey, or Bowie.

I can sort of see the Sweezy comparisons based on their similar athleticism and raw technique, but Sweezy is a much better athlete. Sweezy had a freakish 36 inch vertical at the combine. Sua-Filo's vertical is 24 inches. Also, Sweezy is taller with a bigger frame to get stronger. And Sweezy does not become a free agent until 2016, so if you're going to groom someone to replace Sweezy, there is no need to spend a high draft pick on them this year.

justafan

Reaction score
Actualy I think he is better at pass pro than drive blocking.Its easy to find one or two bad plays for any guard,pro or college.The second play i dont think was that bad.he could have recognised it earlier but it wasnt a physical short coming IMO.
I also think he could take either guard spot if he were on the team.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
justafan":1gmtns3z said:
Actualy I think he is better at pass pro than drive blocking.Its easy to find one or two bad plays for any guard,pro or college.The second play i dont think was that bad.he could have recognised it earlier but it wasnt a physical short coming IMO.

Go back to that second clip. The more disturbing play occurs right after that when he overextends and gets knocked down by the blitzing LB, forcing Hundley to flush out of the pocket. His recognition skills in pass pro are borderline terrible. True, he lacks size and power as a run blocker, but his pass blocking is a total joke. When he played LT in 2012, he was a human turnstile.

http://youtu.be/VUtzj6Lmpwk?t=3m27s

In 2013, UCLA finished 109th in the country in sacks allowed and 116th out of 125 teams in tackles for loss allowed (over seven per game). And in 2012, they were the worst team in the country in tackles for loss allowed (over eight per game). Sua-Filo did not help them in either category.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1853qk1h said:
justafan":1853qk1h said:

Go back to that second clip. The more disturbing play occurs right after that when he overextends and gets knocked down by the blitzing LB, forcing Hundley to flush out of the pocket. His recognition skills in pass pro are borderline terrible. True, he lacks size and power as a run blocker, but his pass blocking is a total joke. When he played LT in 2012, he was a human turnstile.

In 2013, UCLA finished 109th in the country in sacks allowed and 116th out of 125 teams in tackles for loss allowed (over seven per game). And in 2012, they were the worst team in the country in tackles for loss allowed (over eight per game). Sua-Filo did not help them in either category.

You can tell that all by one play? You should be a scout. :2:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3hu1ra8y said:
hawknation2014":3hu1ra8y said:
justafan":3hu1ra8y said:

You can tell that all by one play? You should be a scout. :2:

Just my opinion. I'm a huge Pac-12 fan and watched every UCLA game this year. Sua-Filo was beaten like a drum over and over again. His upside is limited by his size, slow lateral agility, and poor instincts/recognition skills.

If there was more video of him on youtube, I could produce much more evidence than these three plays.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
They also have some plays from the 2012 Pac-12 Championship. Again, Sua-Filo was a human turnstile:

[youtube]0MJMZx8Lgus[/youtube]

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2l0ytd2k said:
They also have some plays from the 2012 Pac-12 Championship. Again, Sua-Filo was a human turnstile:

[youtube]0MJMZx8Lgus[/youtube]

Im not an expert, but why would the draft experts make him out to be a 1st round prospect if he was a "human turnstile"? What round would you select him in?