Scouts: Su'a-Filo best guard prospect since Hutch

hawknation2014

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2xq5tjaf said:
hawknation2014":2xq5tjaf said:
They also have some plays from the 2012 Pac-12 Championship. Again, Sua-Filo was a human turnstile:

[youtube]0MJMZx8Lgus[/youtube]

Im not an expert, but why would the draft experts make him out to be a 1st round prospect if he was a "human turnstile"? What round would you select him in?

Sua-Filo should probably go in the Third Round. Here are the five guards I think should be taken ahead of him, all of whom have superior recognition skills and size for the NFL level:

Cyril Richardson (6'5, 329, 35 inch arms)
Gabe Jackson (6'3, 336, 34 inch arms)
David Yankey (6'6, 315, 34 inch arms)
Brandon Thomas (6'3, 317, 35 inch arms)
Dakota Dozier (6'4, 313, 34 inch arms)

All five of these players are better in space than Sua-Filo. All five have excelled at OT, unlike Sua-Filo, who looked like one of the worst LTs in the country. All five are more intelligent players with the instincts and recognition skills to become reliable guards in the NFL. David Yankey, for example, was the much more reliable guard in the Pac-12 over the last three years.

Sua-Filo also has shorter arms than these five players, and he has a smaller frame while carrying more bad weight:
1393103010-Vikings_Xavier_SuaFilo.jpg

justafan

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of him at 32 for the hawks but I just disagree with your opinion.I dont see a problem with his feet or the human turnstile in that game.Pass blocking is his strength IMO.
He gets back on pass blocking fast enough,gets out on pulls or second level fast enough he just has trouble with actually getting a hit on the guy in open space.Not even sure why they pull hi so often.He sometimes lunges when drive blocking which causes him to whiff at times.Both those things bug the hell out of me.
Cable could probably coach most of that out of him.The physical talent is there.
I wouldnt draft him in our scheme but if I was a passing team I would think about it late 1st or 2nd.
Its not hard to see him develop or see him bust.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Watched the 2013 Stanford game last night.

Piss poor.

Athletic potential is there but that was an eye opener. Trent Murphy was pushing him around.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3d0g3rgs said:
hawknation2014":3d0g3rgs said:
They also have some plays from the 2012 Pac-12 Championship. Again, Sua-Filo was a human turnstile:

[youtube]0MJMZx8Lgus[/youtube]

Im not an expert, but why would the draft experts make him out to be a 1st round prospect if he was a "human turnstile"? What round would you select him in?

For the same reason they proclaimed Aaron Curry a sure-fire thing in the 2009 draft.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Compare his performance vs STANFORD in 2013 to Joel Bitonio's performance vs UCLA.

No contest.

It's staggering how underrated Bitonio is.

pcbball12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1mbvgebu said:
Compare his performance vs UCLA in 2013 to Joel Bitonio's performance vs UCLA.

No contest.

Su'a-Filo plays for UCLA....

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":a13qro33 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":a13qro33 said:

No contest.

I meant Stanford in the case of Su'a-Filo...

Basically the video up there ^^^^^^^

pcbball12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1sofsmyx said:
pcbball12":1sofsmyx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1sofsmyx said:

No contest.

I meant Stanford in the case of Su'a-Filo...

Basically the video up there ^^^^^^^
Gotcha. Ya I am with you though. Bitonio is a first round player on film. I have Su'a-Filo as 2nd round grade due to a mix of film/upside.

kearly

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":97wucl87 said:
Im not an expert, but why would the draft experts make him out to be a 1st round prospect if he was a "human turnstile"?

Well, the "experts" all said Aaron Curry was the best player in the 2009 draft. A few of us around here knew better and were more than a little pissed off when Seattle drafted him.

Su'a-Filo is the fastest moving lineman in this draft. I think that is confusing some teams that value speed at OL into making outlandish comparisons. I think he probably merits a 2nd round grade, but I personally don't want him for Seattle. We need power and speed, speed alone isn't enough. Last year we didn't have the power to move bodies in the interior, and that's a really big problem for a team like ours.

Hutch is exactly the guy we need, but this guy is nothing like Hutch at all. Hutch had adequate speed and monster strength.

Latest posts