Miss. St. vs Kentuky: Seahawks watch list

cover-2

Reaction score
This may seem like a boring game to watch, but there is a handful of NFL prospects at Seahawks positions of need.

Mississippi St - #61 (OG) Gabe Jackson 6-3 340 lbs.: He is projected as a 1st - 2nd round prospect. I would love to draft him with our 2nd round pick, but he may find his way into the 1st round. He would stop the never ending rotation at OG, potential Pro Bowl player.

Kentucky - #2 (DE/LB) Alvin Dupree 6-4 252 lbs. (junior) : Dupree could be a candidate to play the LEO or situational pass rusher for us. He has nice quickness, although not elite. I have only seen him twice this year, and look forward to getting a second look at him.

Kentucky - #94 (DE) Za'Darius Smith 6-5 254 lbs. (junior) : Smith has a good motor with nice quickness. Good build, strength and motor...possibly could also be a situational passing DT.

Kentucky - #40 (LB) Avery Williamson 6-1 238 lbs.: Williamson leads the SEC in tackles. He may be just a guy, but his production can't be ignored.

Kentucky - #90 (DT) Donte Rumph 6-3 320 lbs. & #97 (DT) Mister Cobble 6-0 338 lbs. : Rumph and Cobble could be a late round prospects.

kigenzun

Reaction score
"Just my quick take on Jackson is that at 6-3 he is the perfect height for a OG, long arms, he plays with a bit nasty streak, and very good awareness picking up stunts."--cover-2

I have previously heard of Miss. St.'s Gabe Jackson, and I've Googled before and watched his interviews, and some of his game play on YouTube.
(I'll also admit to still being in the Dark Ages-- 'Oh, Its so easy, any caveman could do it' --stages of learning the nuances of OL strategy and technique, so I still don't know the real details of what to look for in judging prospects. I know what I want--great run blocking & better pass protection--I just don't always know how to necessarily get there from here, and that's where Kearly's, Rob's, Attyla's, and your analysis kicks in and really helps me to understand; and is very much appreciated.)

Overall, I was thinking of drafting for OL depth, (specifically: @ RT first, TE second), but now you've got me all intrigued with this 'Pro-Bowl' Guard "ending the neverending rotation" theory. And that would be real nice too.

I don't see 'Tiny' Richardson making it all the way down to us, and yet, I could definitely see the Seahawks drafting Gabe Jackson at pick #32.
http://standingosports.wordpress.com/20 ... e-jackson/
(After all, IMO he's under the radar, but not so far under as to reach pick #64...)

PS
In your opinion, is there any possibility whatsoever in packaging picks to move up a tiny bit to get Tiny? ;)
And...
Last but not least, how do you see the comparison between Gabe Jackson and Cyril Richardson? And, (especially, due to recent injuries and the looming possibility of losing McQ and Breno to free agency...) which of all these guys do you think fits us and our Zone Wide scheme in need of better Pass Pro best?

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kigenzun":3v3d3eqb said:
"Last but not least, how do you see the comparison between Gabe Jackson and Cyril Richardson? And, (especially, due to recent injuries and the looming possibility of losing McQ and Breno to free agency...) which of all these guys do you think fits us and our Zone Wide scheme in need of better Pass Pro best?

I'll admit that I haven't really scouted any offensive linemen this year other than Gabe Jackson, Stanford (OG) David Yankey, and Miami (RT) Seantrel Henderson. I have watched a few others on YouTube, but I don't put quite as much stock into scouting offensive lineman on there because how small the video is and its cumbersome to rewind to re-watch a play. I really prefer scouting prospects on my big screen TV from my DVR of the actual games; my DVR is loaded with college football games. On Seahawksdraftblog I was trying to get Attyla's thoughts on Jackson compared to some of the other top offensive line prospects. Attyla seems pretty knowledgeable on this year's offensive lineman prospects. I don't normally get excited about offensive line prospects, but Jackson looked like a stud vs. Kentucky the other night. Up until then I had read a few scouting reports on Jackson and watched one of his games on YouTube. I have been guilty of getting too geeked up about a prospect after a game and this may be the case with Jackson.

kigenzun":3v3d3eqb said:
In your opinion, is there any possibility whatsoever in packaging picks to move up a tiny bit to get Tiny? ;)

Assuming we pick #32 or #31 in the draft - We could trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick that would give us the 16th overall pick. Rob has Tiny in the top-10 in his latest mock and Rang at CBSsports has him going 17th overall. So its possible that he could be in range for us to trade up and get him, but do you like/love Tiny enough to give up that much draft equity to get him. Would you rather trade up to get the 3rd or 4th best (OT) who you believe he will be a solid starter OR would rather stay where you are at and possibly get the best (OG) with the ability to address other needs in the next few rounds?

kigenzun

Reaction score
The short answer is: NO. (I'm not giving up the extra picks to take a RT. I like your idea of the OG better.)
Here's how I foresee this upcoming 2014 draft, as of right this second, during this 'extra-extra-long-wait for Week 8' moment:

Rd.1:#32= Gabe Jackson, OG, Miss. St.
Rd.2:#64= Zack Martin, OG/OT, Notre Dame
Rd.4:#96= Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Rd.5:#128= Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
Rd.6:#160= Jacques Washington, DB, Iowa St.
Rd.7:#192=???
UDFA=???

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kigenzun":2x61ee5c said:
The short answer is: NO. (I'm not giving up the extra picks to take a RT. I like your idea of the OG better.)
Here's how I foresee this upcoming 2014 draft, as of right this second, during this 'extra-extra-long-wait for Week 8' moment:

Rd.1:#32= Gabe Jackson, OG, Miss. St.
Rd.2:#64= Zack Martin, OG/OT, Notre Dame
Rd.4:#96= Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Rd.5:#128= Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
Rd.6:#160= Jacques Washington, DB, Iowa St.
Rd.7:#192=???
UDFA=???

I don't know much about the OT's, but I think you just extended Russell Wilson's career a few extra years. I saw that you wanted to get a TE in the 2nd round, so I'm a little surprised that you didn't plug one in there. Which TE's do you like? Do you want one of the athletic TE or one of the more traditional TE? I have a 7th round player you may like but I'm going to make a separate post for the prospect.

I can talk prospects and how we should rebuild/reload our team through the draft 24-7. So every drafnik has a handful of prospects that they love; who are, say five or so prospects, that you really like? They don't all have to be 1st and 2nd round prospects.

kigenzun

Reaction score
cover-2":3q4cxf89 said:
I don't know much about the OT's, but I think you just extended Russell Wilson's career a few extra years. I saw that you wanted to get a TE in the 2nd round, so I'm a little surprised that you didn't plug one in there. Which TE's do you like? Do you want one of the athletic TE or one of the more traditional TE? I have a 7th round player you may like but I'm going to make a separate post for the prospect.

I can talk prospects and how we should rebuild/reload our team through the draft 24-7. So every drafnik has a handful of prospects that they love; who are, say five or so prospects, that you really like? They don't all have to be 1st and 2nd round prospects.

Unfortunately, the solid 1st round Guard idea trumps my 'RTfirst, TEsecond' idea... and pushes the RT to the second round and the TE to the 5th and beyond. Thus, slightly overdrafting Zack Martin in the late second, (since I foresee both Breno & McQ gone in 2014...) because right now we don't have a 3rd.

Since I like Abbrederis and his improvisational ability and affinity with Russell in the 4th, as a Rice replacement/developing the 5th receiver guy, he also pushes the TEidea further. (But I'm curious now about your 7th rounder you say?)

Essentially, with Ebron trending upward out of reach, ASJ not really the 'I want to block-'er I want, and Colt Lyerla just plain done gone off the deep end crazy... I feel there the must be other late prospects I am completely unaware of.

Also, I actually am one of the people who likes 'Big Game' James Carpenter, and I'm not necessarily down on JR Sweezy either. I guess after watching injuries have a instant impact on our overall season so far, I see a immediate need to develop OL depth beyond just Bailey and Bowie; both of whom I see a future from as well. (+ my secret squirrel Random Synaptic Spark is always to make Sweezy the force of nature gnarly cut blocking/run blocking 3rd TE/HB/FB...and leave the pass blocking to "real"O-Linemen LOL!)

Zack Martin is my favorite late 2nd-early 3rd guy so that's why I've slotted him in the #64 slot. Fleming is a 'longshot, but why not' kind of guy. As far as a list o' guys... I am working on that this weekend so I'll have a couple ideas I'm sure in the next few days before MNF.

ps Speaking of which... I know this isn't a player but, if Bevell leaves for greener pastures, what about Jon Gruden as an offensive coordinator? I know he mancrushes Russell Wilson and has good experience with developing QB's/playoff winning experience. What do you think?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cover-2":k61rm522 said:
kigenzun":k61rm522 said:
"Last but not least, how do you see the comparison between Gabe Jackson and Cyril Richardson? And, (especially, due to recent injuries and the looming possibility of losing McQ and Breno to free agency...) which of all these guys do you think fits us and our Zone Wide scheme in need of better Pass Pro best?

I'll admit that I haven't really scouted any offensive linemen this year other than Gabe Jackson, Stanford (OG) David Yankey, and Miami (RT) Seantrel Henderson. I have watched a few others on YouTube, but I don't put quite as much stock into scouting offensive lineman on there because how small the video is and its cumbersome to rewind to re-watch a play. I really prefer scouting prospects on my big screen TV from my DVR of the actual games; my DVR is loaded with college football games. On Seahawksdraftblog I was trying to get Attyla's thoughts on Jackson compared to some of the other top offensive line prospects. Attyla seems pretty knowledgeable on this year's offensive lineman prospects. I don't normally get excited about offensive line prospects, but Jackson looked like a stud vs. Kentucky the other night. Up until then I had read a few scouting reports on Jackson and watched one of his games on YouTube. I have been guilty of getting too geeked up about a prospect after a game and this may be the case with Jackson.

Assuming we pick #32 or #31 in the draft - We could trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick that would give us the 16th overall pick. Rob has Tiny in the top-10 in his latest mock and Rang at CBSsports has him going 17th overall. So its possible that he could be in range for us to trade up and get him, but do you like/love Tiny enough to give up that much draft equity to get him. Would you rather trade up to get the 3rd or 4th best (OT) who you believe he will be a solid starter OR would rather stay where you are at and possibly get the best (OG) with the ability to address other needs in the next few rounds?

Here's a link from seahawksblue a couple weeks back on the same subject:

http://www.seahawkblue.com/showthread.p ... ost1065062

I'm a huge Jackson fan. Although I don't think we'll take him sadly. Nor do I think we move up for Richardson.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kigenzun":2gsn92rj said:
ps Speaking of which... I know this isn't a player but, if Bevell leaves for greener pastures, what about Jon Gruden as an offensive coordinator? I know he mancrushes Russell Wilson and has good experience with developing QB's/playoff winning experience. What do you think?
Gruden is good at the TV game commentator thing and I don't think he would come back to the NFL unless he was just bored and wanted to get back into coaching. But even then, he would have to probably want complete control of the team similar to what Coach Carroll has with the Seahawks.

Attyla":2gsn92rj said:
the Hawk Here's a link from seahawksblue a couple weeks back on the same subject:

http://www.seahawkblue.com/showthread.p ... ost1065062

I'm a huge Jackson fan. Although I don't think we'll take him sadly. Nor do I think we move up for Richardson.
You sure do get around the different Seahawks related forums :D ...I took a look at Cedric Ogbuehi, who you said you liked on the other forum site, and he looks like a solid late 1st round prospect. A little light at only 300 lbs, but he has long arms and is light on his feet. He recently said that he is returning for his senior year. He wants to take the same route that teammate Jake Matthews did, move to LT senior year and be the top rated OT in the draft.

Any particular reason you don't think we will draft Jackson? Do you not like him for a zone blocking scheme OR do you think JS may be gun shy to selecing an offensive lineman that may have problems with his weight ala James Carpenter OR maybe you think they like the development of some of our young o-lineman? I personally don't think Jackson will be off the board for us. He is not as athletically gifted like last year's 1st round OG's Jonathan Cooper or even Chance Warmack, but he make up for it with some other nice attributes.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I am doubtful they take him for a couple reasons.

First and foremost, he's not a tackle, but a guard. Positional value is one aspect, but another being that we have players under club control there and I'm not sure their grades relative to a rookie are going to be that poor. While I do think he'd be an upgrade at both of the positions, Seattle looks at the delta. The relative difference is going to be lessened. In particular, it'll be much much less relative to a position group where starters are released.

Second, Seattle has to start plowing under big contracts for cheaper rookie talent. Sweezy is uber cheap. Replacing Carpenter with a first round rookie is almost a financial wash. The big picture will be that we are going to have to cut productive expensive starters in order to restructure our roster payouts to the guys that have high impact. Getting Jackson doesn't provide that. However getting a RT does. I personally have doubts that Bowie will be able to seize the RT position in a manner that Seattle will demand. Not a knock on him, just that he is still developing and it's unlikely he'll be developed sufficiently to entrust him in the starter role by years' end. If Giacomini is not resigned, they will need an infusion of good rookie talent, not late day three projects, to compete effectively for a starting nod.

Obviously we're going to need to cut some salary to extend/resign the guys we really need. Seattle will be in a position to bolster these losses in UFA before the draft. But it's unlikely they'll resign expensive/top shelf talent to do that even if it's on show me deals. Whomever they let go is going to go a long way to tipping Seattle's draft hand.

I think Jackson may well be on the board. But I think there will be some good 2nd tier OT prospects available in the 40s. Seattle could opt to drop back 10 or so spots if a couple of prospects look good there. And I'm certain there will be WR talent there if OTs get run on during the course of the draft. I know it's not a revelation that we might trade down -- we try it all the time. But I'm doubtful Jackson makes it to 40.

For us to take him, I'd have to think he slides to the mid 40s due to other teams taking the OTs/WRs we like in that 30-40 range. If Seattle does take him if he's available in the first, then it would indicate to me that Seattle isn't as enamored with Sweezy and/or Carpenter as we've been led to believe. This is of course a possibility -- Cable indicated we were looking at OL in day 2 last draft. I wouldn't expect Seattle to tip their hand publicly like that going into 2014. So I won't pretend to think I know what their opinions are of their existing starters.

I suspect Jackson would be a luxury pick that we won't be in position to indulge.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Attyla,
Such logical, reasonable, well thought out, practical, mindful, economical, emotionally sound and well written arguments such as this one brings my particular spinning like a top brain completely full circle once again to my first strange idea of Seantrel Henderson, RT, Miami, as the #5 OT off the board but the best we could get in the late first/early second #32(if stuck)-#45 (if mild trade down) range.

I guess I figured Matthews, Lewan, Kuoandjio, Tiny Richardson, Cyril Richardson, & Gabe Jackson...and possibly Erving were all gone. And we therefore had a choice between Yankey, Martin, Henderson, Collins, Fleming, Erving...and I decided to go with Seantrel hoping Tom Cable could mold him into an All-Pro RT to replace Breno.

But after your review on Robs blog I kinda gave up on Seantrel's risk factors, while next cover-2 convinced me here that I would really rather have a Gabe Jackson up front protecting/extending Russell's life in the long run; so now I'm hoping he'll be available.

ps ...all of which goes towards realizing my crazy dream of turning Sweezy into a burly nasty 3rd cut blocking TE/HB. Muhahaha :179417: LOL!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1mxr58i0 said:

First and foremost, he's not a tackle, but a guard. Positional value is one aspect, but another being that we have players under club control there and I'm not sure their grades relative to a rookie are going to be that poor. While I do think he'd be an upgrade at both of the positions, Seattle looks at the delta. The relative difference is going to be lessened. In particular, it'll be much much less relative to a position group where starters are released.

Second, Seattle has to start plowing under big contracts for cheaper rookie talent. Sweezy is uber cheap. Replacing Carpenter with a first round rookie is almost a financial wash. The big picture will be that we are going to have to cut productive expensive starters in order to restructure our roster payouts to the guys that have high impact. Getting Jackson doesn't provide that. However getting a RT does. I personally have doubts that Bowie will be able to seize the RT position in a manner that Seattle will demand. Not a knock on him, just that he is still developing and it's unlikely he'll be developed sufficiently to entrust him in the starter role by years' end. If Giacomini is not resigned, they will need an infusion of good rookie talent, not late day three projects, to compete effectively for a starting nod.

Obviously we're going to need to cut some salary to extend/resign the guys we really need. Seattle will be in a position to bolster these losses in UFA before the draft. But it's unlikely they'll resign expensive/top shelf talent to do that even if it's on show me deals. Whomever they let go is going to go a long way to tipping Seattle's draft hand.

I think Jackson may well be on the board. But I think there will be some good 2nd tier OT prospects available in the 40s. Seattle could opt to drop back 10 or so spots if a couple of prospects look good there. And I'm certain there will be WR talent there if OTs get run on during the course of the draft. I know it's not a revelation that we might trade down -- we try it all the time. But I'm doubtful Jackson makes it to 40.

For us to take him, I'd have to think he slides to the mid 40s due to other teams taking the OTs/WRs we like in that 30-40 range. If Seattle does take him if he's available in the first, then it would indicate to me that Seattle isn't as enamored with Sweezy and/or Carpenter as we've been led to believe. This is of course a possibility -- Cable indicated we were looking at OL in day 2 last draft. I wouldn't expect Seattle to tip their hand publicly like that going into 2014. So I won't pretend to think I know what their opinions are of their existing starters.

I suspect Jackson would be a luxury pick that we won't be in position to indulge.

I'm interested in your own analysis of the Delta value for the Hawks. Which positions do you think provide the most potential delta? How will that square with salary cap issues? For instance, I doubt a rookie WR provides a higher delta over Rice, but they would provide a massive salary cap cut. Which positions do you think they will be targeting to start young guys in 2014?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":ckq3pjiq said:
Attyla the Hawk":ckq3pjiq said:

I'm interested in your own analysis of the Delta value for the Hawks. Which positions do you think provide the most potential delta? How will that square with salary cap issues? For instance, I doubt a rookie WR provides a higher delta over Rice, but they would provide a massive salary cap cut. Which positions do you think they will be targeting to start young guys in 2014?

I'll give a crack at it:

1. Richard Sherman v. any available CB. Sherman has more positional value over any player at his position. It is imperative that he be extended. He is absolutely worth his value. It's exceptionally rare that you find superstar talent go hand in hand with superstar work ethic at any position. I fully expect Sherman to continue to get better injuries willing. There might be 5 players in this league with that same combination of talent, drive and dedication to work. This combination reverberates over the entire roster. When your hardest workers are your stars, then you create a clubhouse where there are no exceptions. Everyone gets better. Because the alpha players set the work standard.

This reality drives our draft scenario in a way that is incomparable to how we've drafted in the 3 years since Pete and John have arrived. I believe we will alter how we draft based on how our roster is moving from rookie deal dominated to mature, 2nd contract dominated.

2. ASJ v. Luke Willson. This assumes that Miller is cut to partially pay for Sherman -- thus we are left with Willson and McCoy on the roster. ASJ is a better blocker than either of those two, and is an outstanding target over the middle. His catch radius is ridiculous and his ability to catch balls in traffic is excellent. He probably won't tear up the combine, but then Zach Miller tore the 40 with a blistering 4.84.

Look to see if Seattle tries to renegotiate/extend Miller to a cheaper cap hit.

3. Daniel McCullers v. Jesse Williams. McCullers is a very good 2 gap player with incredible length. Williams is a guy I liked in 2013. But availability is in question and for sure talent level is. He didn't look like a guy who was going to push for playing time. We don't have the ability to really gauge how Carroll feels about him. McCullers should be a big upgrade over Williams. Why consider this backup delta? Because it's a possibility Bryant is released to pay for Sherman.

4. Robinson/Matthews/Abbrederis/Street v. Kearse. Assumes Rice and his 7m+ contract (dead money factored in) are released. Personally, I have grown very fond of Kearse. He just keeps answering the call with every opportunity thrown his way. But the real problem could be that Rice and Tate walk. The WR position has the potential of losing Tate and Baldwin too. We're unfortunate in that we have 2 free agents and a salary cap crater all in the same year. Kearse is likely going to start next year, whether it's at Tate's position or at Rice's. So in truth, there is likely to be a cap related vacancy with no player to fill it. We might end up keeping Rice and cutting elsewhere because we don't have a succession plan in place.

5. Zack Martin/Ogbuehi/Richardson v. Michael Bowie. Assumes Giacomini is not resigned. Although that could be a big assumption. Honestly, Giacomini is not worth 3.5m to any team in this league. It's not unrealistic that Giacomini is actually brought back at near half his current contract. Recall, we were in a position where we had to overpay for him because our rosters' depth was unable to let him go. Carpenter was already being moved after not working out on the edge. Overall, if we could shave 1m off of Giacomini's cap hit, I'd be ok with Giacomini with some extended development time for Bowie.

Richardson is one of my favorite prospects. If he slides to our pick and we trade out, I'd kind of feel similar to how I felt when Fletcher Cox slid to us in 2012 and we moved back to get Irvin. Richardson would be in essence a second left tackle. Only on the right side. But given Okung's availability question, having a 2nd option that is better than McQuistan as an injury contingency would be worth getting him.

6. Ed Reynolds/Clinton-Dix v. Chris Maragos. Outside of Russell Wilson, there is no player on this team as irreplaceable as Earl Thomas. Our whole scheme revolves around his talent like spokes on a hub. If he goes down, this defense drops from top 5 to the 8-15 range. Seattle has flirted with the idea of a 3 safety personnel group. Ed Reynolds would fit in that aspect nicely. Although I prefer Clinton-Dix. He is an outstanding tackler who can physically punish players despite his rangy physique. Seattle likes a good measure of thumper in their defenders. Dix fits that closely.

7. Gabe Jackson/Zack Martin v. Carpenter/Sweezy. I believe Jackson is a big upgrade at either position. There could be questions whether he'd be a schematic fit under Cable. From a pass pro perspective, he'd probably enter training camp as our second best pass protector to Russell Okung. He is an absolute wall. Quick feet, great leg drive good balance and excellent strength and girth. The real problem though is that Carpenter and Sweezy are passable talents at guard. Some of the depth guys listed above aren't as much.

I just get the feel that the OL group as a whole has more depth and ability to absorb attrition than other position groups. Yes, it's not performing as well as we'd like but allowing for circumstance, probably as well as we could hope. Bowie is getting experience. He and Bailey aren't as good now as they will be next spring.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Attyla,
This is one of the best pieces I've seen written on the Seahawks options in the 2014 draft thus far.
Lots and lots to think about.

Its like you read my mind and answered almost all of my questions before I could ask them; from Tiny and (Seantrel previously) at RT, to McCullers runstopping reality (vs. Jesse's comeback potential), to Gabe Jackson & Zack Martin upgrading the pass protection on the OL. I especially thought the double LT in Tiny idea (in case of injury to Okung etc) stood out as our first best ideal world wishlist option.

Excellent work.
Thank you. :D

Now, I pose a JStrade-up scenario question to you that cover-2 posed to me... Would I rather pick Gabe Jackson at #32 or trade multiple picks (1,2,&5?) to grab Tiny at say #16-20?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Thanks for the in-depth response Attyla. My simple mind was thinking we might be chasing a WR for our first pick because of salary/depth needs. Your response is much deeper than that.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
After last night I feel like we have to at least entertain someone like Jackson in the 1st now.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":pyx77jrh said:

I'm not sold on either Sweezy or Carpenter at this point, and IMO Jackson would be a big upgrade over Sweezy. I have seen Sweezy get steam rolled enough times for me to be highly skeptical of him as a starter. I like him as a backup, but not a starter. JS and Carroll have shown they will take best player available ie., RB Christine Michael in the 2nd round last year, which is the main reason I am even talking about selecting a OG in the 1st. RT is the most pressing need, so maybe this is a year where we take need over BPA. I get your argument about the whole "delta" (new term to me, had to look it up) thing but if that is how you go about the draft then you are drafting specifically for need as opposed to taking the best available player, which is a dangerous way to rebuild or reload a team. I'm good with trading down, but it all depends on which players are available when we select in the 1st round.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
cover-2":2xtt6ks7 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2xtt6ks7 said:

I'm not sold on either Sweezy or Carpenter at this point, and IMO Jackson would be a big upgrade over Sweezy. I have seen Sweezy get steam rolled enough times for me to be highly skeptical of him as a starter. I like him as a backup, but not a starter. JS and Carroll have shown they will take best player available ie., RB Christine Michael in the 2nd round last year, which is the main reason I am even talking about selecting a OG in the 1st. RT is the most pressing need, so maybe this is a year where we take need over BPA. I get your argument about the whole "delta" (new term to me, had to look it up) thing but if that is how you go about the draft then you are drafting specifically for need as opposed to taking the best available player, which is a dangerous way to rebuild or reload a team. I'm good with trading down, but it all depends on which players are available when we select in the 1st round.

In reagrds to the Delta comment, I don't recall where but at some point JS said they go through and grade the entire roster. Then they go through and grade the draft prospects. They look for the biggest delta here by finding which prospects would provide the biggest upgrade in Grade. I.e. McQ might grade out to them as a 70 let's say and Richardson from Tenn might grade out as a 90 so the delta is 20 and that could be the highest delta for available prospects so they pick him. That's an over simplification, but I swear I read that somewhere.

kigenzun

Reaction score
cover-2,
A) I am still with you on Gabe Jackson being a potential All-Pro inside, going a long long way to helping solve what we're actually seeing on the field right now.

B) I don't think Tiny Richardson drops enough to get to us, and I don't see us trading up.

C) I think JR Sweezy would be best put to use as a cheap, solid, O-Line backup as well, but could conceivably be a 'multipositional, save a roster spot' monster '3rd blocking TE'. I think, given the opportunity, he would thrive put outside the tackle and blocking from there similar to how Zach Miller has been used in TE protection.

Or, set in the backfield as a blocking FB to chip that DE coming in off the edge, & smash mouth that delayed LB blitzing.

We would be essentially be playing 6 lineman, in our 'Pass Blocking Package' and whoever came storming straight through in would have to take on Sweezy first, and crush Russell 2nd.

For instance, after McQ/(or anybody) is badly beat by the Mighty Quinn around the edge, Monster FB Sweezy stonewalls and pancakes his fast little ass; because he is shaded to the outside of the LT/RT as needed.