WRs getting separation

jman316

Reaction score
Obviously the loss of Percy for most/all the season took the wind out of our collective sails a bit. Of the level-headed die-hards that I know, they aren't too concerned about the WR position considering we have the same group that dominated the second half of 2012.

Now, I was watching the TC scrimmage today (a little freaked out by RW's first series...2 fumbled snaps and a batted ball, yikes), but what struck me was how little separation our receivers were getting.

Yes, we have a beast of a secondary and Sid wasn't active today, but Russ had to run around quite a bit and really work to give our guys time to find some space. It's also early in camp and the D is always ahead of the O this time of year, but I'm hoping Kearse, Harper or one of the other fringe guys in camp can show they can get open consistently.

Willson did have a nice TD catch towards the end of the scrimmage this afternoon.

GO HAWKS!!

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
It's the primary receivers that matter, and Tate, Baldwin and Kearse are all good at getting separation. Baldwin in particular. He doesn't just get separation, he get's a divorce.

cesame

Reaction score
This is basically what happened a lot last year. It was Russell Wilson buying time with his legs so his WR's could scramble and get open.

Thankfully this team is built on defense and pounding the rock.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
True....Russell was "rusty" in his first series, but "came on strong" as the game progressed. I have to admit that Russ is showing a tendency to be a "slow starter" during the first part of the game.

What did you think of Brady Quinn's play today?

OP
OP
jman316

jman316

Reaction score
"Doug Baldwin doesn't get separation, he gets a divorce" is awesome and just made my new signature!

I've heard some good things from other folks that have watched practices and I thought he (Quinn) looked sharp today.
Maybe Wilson is helping him finally figure things out at the NFL level?

Watch JS turn him into a draft pick or two down the road!

hawker84

Reaction score
Early in camp, those mishaps (fumbled snaps) are going to happen, better now than later.. i don't recall a problem with that once last season..

As far as seperation, that was a huge concern for me last season, but in the second half that seemed to have went away.. I would expect that problem to be a non issue heading into the season... And as stated, they are going up against arguably the best secondary in the league.. Let's see how they do in the preseason then start to worry if it shows it's ugly head again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The toughest D Wilson will face all year is the one he sees in practice. That should comfort you. Those guys are really good, and they know the tendencies of our offense better than anyone.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
How did the pass rush look? That concerns me more than anything while Clemons heals and Irvin is out for 4 games. I am very worried about this.

OP
OP
jman316

jman316

Reaction score
Hard to see specifically who was getting pressure (camera angles + no audio commentary), but there were several times I saw interior pressure. Russell had to scramble quite a bit and was "sacked" once.

Someone who was there would have a better account.

Can't wait for next Thursday!!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
While the rain may have been a factor, all three QB's were "running for their lives" in the first part of the scrimmage. All improved as the day went on. Our Defense really "brings the heat"! I'm looking forward to the first Pre-season game next Thursday. We'll see what the WR's have in their back pocket when they play at San Diego.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
i think theres possibly some different variables at play here.
1. the starters arnt all in doesnt matter.
2. the defense is kind of good
3. d playing more agressive during camp? (disclaimer: havent been following tc much) but im sure this is a great time of year for the secondary to work on ball skills.
4. guys like baldwin, among others are more precision type receivers and can create space, but in more specific windows and not so much freestyle. i think no matter how amazing we all know wilson is, he still has plenty of room to grow and it takes time to build chemistry with players.

Tical21

Reaction score
IMO it is our biggest offensive weakness. You can count on one hand how many slants we were able to hit last year. Things could be so much easier for us if we would create any type of rhythm passing game. Sidney has never gotten separation, but he has such a wide radius where you can throw it to him anyways. Golden as yet hasn't done it consistently either, although you hope he'll start. Baldwin gets very sneaky separation, but it usually is in the middle of the route, not the quick stuff.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
what is the saying Iron sharpens iron ? Having the WR's go up against the most physically imposing CB duo in the league is definitely goin to be rough but will improve the groups physicality, route running, and hands those that don't probably won't make a catch or the squad.

rideaducati

Reaction score
jman316":l5qnprv1 said:
"Doug Baldwin doesn't get separation, he gets a divorce" is awesome and just made my new signature!

I've heard some good things from other folks that have watched practices and I thought he (Quinn) looked sharp today.
Maybe Wilson is helping him finally figure things out at the NFL level?

Watch JS turn him into a draft pick or two down the road!

JS can work miracles...he received a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson.

Latest posts