Would you have traded Russ to LA for Goff?

toffee

Reaction score
I am not advocating to trade Russ. Would all the armchair GM look at the deal if the Ram call John instead of Detroit? Same terms except an additional 3nd pick?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":1pnvh938 said:
I am not advocating to trade Russ. Would all the armchair GM look at the deal if the Ram call John instead of Detroit? Same terms except an additional 3nd pick?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Oh HELL no

Somos doces

Reaction score
No, for three reasons:

1. The Hawks' new OC just came from the Rams, where the team's success with Goff was rather unsuccessful. That combo seems like a recipe for continued mediocrity anywhere they pair up.

2. Wilson would be unstoppable in a system that caters to his game. The Rams seem like their staff is open to crafting game plans that accentuate a player's positives while minimizing his weaknesses; thus far, the Hawks staff has generally been unable to do that consistently.

3. With Wilson and his LA coaches in sync, I feel they would obliterate the Seahawks twice a year for the next decade to come. As a Hawk fan, that would be incredibly hard to take.

I completely buy the logic of trading RW if the conditions are right, but a deal within the division — while Wilson is still near the peak of his game — is not the right conditions.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Somos doces":398arx6x said:
2. Wilson would be unstoppable in a system that caters to his game. The Rams seem like their staff is open to crafting game plans that accentuate a player's positives while minimizing his weaknesses; thus far, the Hawks staff has generally been unable to do that consistently.
I know this is the consensus around here, but take a step back and look at it as if you were a neutral fan.

Russ is on a Hall of Fame trajectory playing for the Hawks staff as a #75 pick while Goff was a failure for the Rams staff as a #1 overall pick. Of course as Hawks fans we want to jump to the assumption that Russ is 10x better than Goff and would be on a similar (or better!) career arc with any team. However, there are talented QBs every year that do poorly when the team around them is bad, and for each promising QB that busts there are many stories about how the team or support around them was lacking in some manner.

Isn't it just a bit weird that fans are looking at a player who is having an incredible career and their initial assumption is that the team is misusing that player? Russ averaged a 9.6 AY/A during his first 24 games under Schotty which would have been tied for first among all QBs this season. Doesn't that qualify as unstoppable?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely not!

You don’t trade away HOF players at the beginning of their peak.

RW is a proven commodity, Goff is truly a mediocre QB, and LA doesn’t have a first until next year.

I truly believe this trade Goff to Detroit plus 2- 1st round picks will take away any shot LA has to go to a SB for the foreseeable future. They are now truly cap strapped without an ability to surround Stafford with a competitive roster for the next few seasons.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Am I dreaming right now or is this a legit question posted? Not trying to be mean to the OP but I am at a loss for words right now.

Russ for Goff???

What the fk b9afd4434d

Chawker

Reaction score
Yes .... Only if I had a gun pointed at my head. Other then that, its a hard NO. This post sucks so bad. :beating:

Jeers

Fade

Reaction score
The only realistic available swap out there would be Watson for Wilson. That is it. Wilson has a no trade clause, so it isn't happening, anyway.

Goff is a dumpster fire who makes almost as much as Wilson. The Rams had to throw in an additional 1st rounder to get Detroit to take him off their hands, that is how bad he is.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ahhh the off season has arrived for the Seahawks.

Next up Uniform threads.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3btsgrvz said:
The only realistic available swap out there would be Watson for Wilson. That is it. Wilson has a no trade clause, so it isn't happening, anyway.

So does Watson and it appears he might be moved. A no trade clause is put in contracts so players have input in where they end up. They get waived all the time.

It goes without saying though that the question posed in this thread is ludicrous.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:34853_doh:
I'd comment, but I think everyone pretty much summed it up. Plus, if I do, someone will just blast me on here as always for having an opinion :irishdrinkers:

xray

Reaction score
isn't that like trading a Porsche for a Pinto ?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Definitely NO.

Goff’s contract is terrible. Trading just to trade is kid stuff. Every trade must have a purpose, a path to improving. For the Lions, I get it. They suck and need to try something different. Seattle doesn’t need 1st picks to make the playoffs, and Goff is not getting another team to a championship game anytime soon. Russ still has plenty of chances if the scheme and surround talent improve.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't understand this thread.

The time to trade Wilson would have been a bit ago, to the Jets. Because it would have been a haul of draft picks at the time and everyone knew that Carroll was not going to be able to win in the playoffs with Wilson.

Not because Wilson was not capable. But because Carroll's entire coaching thing is essentially 'We have better athletes than you". If he doesn't have better athletes...he is screwed.

So either get better athletes (ie load up on picks over the years by trading your HOF QB in his prime for what would have been the biggest haul in history since the Walker trade), or tread water with Wilson.

We chose to tread water with Wilson.

We still get 9-11 wins a year in the regular season. We still end up looking like we might be an amazing playoff contender by the 3/4 mark. It could be worse.

Honestly, I thought we would go for a Mahomes at the time (not because anyone thought he would be this good, but because he played a lot like we played Wilson at the time). So it probably wouldn't have even been a step down, but then Mahomes got picked by the Chiefs and it was sort of academic - since Mahomes is better than Wilson. I don't think anyone expected that.

Rat

Reaction score
No, the picks are too low and Goff's contract is terrible.

I'd happily trade him to the Dolphins for Tua and the #3 pick in the draft, if they were willing though.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1et79rk8 said:
:34853_doh:
I'd comment, but I think everyone pretty much summed it up. Plus, if I do, someone will just blast me on here as always for having an opinion :irishdrinkers:

Well I would have your back on this one.
And as we all know, my opinion is the only one that matters around here. :irishdrinkers:

I'd rather have Whitehurst over Goff.
I'd take a pouting Matt Flynn over Goff.
Id take Johnny Manziel over Goff.
I'd take Hasselbeck out the ESPN set and suit him up over Goff.

Wilson for Goff? No way. That's crazy talk. That's out of the stratosphere of realism.
I'm about to get Stephen A Smith up in here and break it down. This is insane it hurts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Made for a good laugh though. But I'm still laughing about being told that I'm ok with playoff losses. And somehow I have Pete Carroll pom pom's. Um.......no.
Couldn't be further from the truth on both counts. But, one of many reasons I just don't enjoy it here as much.

Forthewin

Reaction score
You are asking if the Hawks should pull the same deal as the lions. The problem is Russ is way better than Stafford.

Ask the question would you trade Russ for 5 firsts and 5 2nd round draft picks, plus a starting QB. Everyone would say yes to that...and then work backwards.

Russ has a price, but to find it you have to ask in a different way. This is not a horrible question at all. If anything, it brings us back to this is a business and ANYTHING is possible.

3 firsts, and 3 2nd round draft picks and homeboy is gone...maybe even a little less.