World Cup 2014

SeatownJay

Reaction score
This team has talent, it simply lacks consistency in their play to be successful at this level. Their biggest failing is their inability to keep the ball, they were 31st in possession in the group stage.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1oqunvp8 said:
This team has talent, it simply lacks consistency in their play to be successful at this level. Their biggest failing is their inability to keep the ball, they were 31st in possession in the group stage.

Inability to keep the ball is reflective of a lack of talent. Klinsmann had the right approach. The players the US is producing just aren't quite there.

But even in this short tournament you saw great flashes from young players. As Smurf said their are many on the horizon (watch for the name Akale) that are developing in a different environment than the ones this cycle

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":9ns4ught said:
Largent80":9ns4ught said:
How exciting.

Thanks for your insight.

Ignore him...he probably had to set an alarm to wake his old ass up and remember to troll the soccer thread

Silky Johnson

Reaction score
Well it is what it is, and we are progressing. We battled and we still have a ways to go. Belgium was better than us and they deserved to move on. We saw some bright spots though in Yedlin, Gonzalez, and Green (limited) during the tournament. Howard was a blast to watch.

Now its down to the big boys and as a soccer fan I'm still excited.

Question: Does any team look dominant?

I think it might be Columbia and I think Brazil is up for the toughest test next match.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Uncle Si":2qvziikf said:
InSuarezWeTrust":2qvziikf said:
Largent80":2qvziikf said:
How exciting.

Thanks for your insight.

Ignore him...he probably had to set an alarm to wake his old ass up and remember to troll the soccer thread

Did he get bored trolling flat-brimmed cap wearers? I don't get why depressing old dudes that don't like change have to lash out on the internet and whine incessantly about how back in their day, they broke in their caps and didn't play that sissy, boring soccer.

I guess he should have his fun before senility sets in within a couple years.

Anyway, this loss killed me. Killed me. I read that the Americas are going to be doing something like the Euros and the first one will be held in the United States...I'm excited to see if we'll be able to hang with Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, etc. in 2016.

I'm so proud of DeAndre Yedlin's play today, too.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
You know it was a good run in the World Cup when fans of other countries national teams admit that they're jealous of our performances compared to theirs. Saw a lot of England fans saying that they wish the National Team played like the US did, with heart, passion and determination.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great showing by the USA in the WC. Congrats to all. Yedlin played well for being in his first WC. Bradley was very good today. Tim Howard is the mannnnn! Wow! He had an Ochoa like game. Concacaf repped well. Looking forward to a better showing in 2018. Klinsmann has the team in the right direction.

Nog

Reaction score
I've never believed in you, but that was a great showing of your team guys. So congrats from a frenchman ;)

Personally, I think you guys didn't physically respond in this game. I felt like most of your players had some fatigue due to efforts made in the group stage. As I said, Belgium has superior players... They actually don't play like individuals.

Nog

Reaction score
Silky Johnson":1h3zib2k said:
Who do you think has the better keeper?
The United States!!!! Howard had the game of his life today.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":t54c298b said:
Nog":t54c298b said:
Silky Johnson":t54c298b said:
Who do you think has the better keeper?
The United States!!!! Howard had the game of his life today.
Dude had a game for the ages. Too bad his team didn't step up.

His team did step up, the US were unlucky in the end. The way Belgium celebrated should tell you how hard a game that was for them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2u8fktf7 said:
Nobody that played a match in Manaus is still playing. Relevant.

no...
(in case that was a question)

in retrospect, as upset as we can be with Wondo's miss (come on Chris, you had one job, one!), and then disappointed at the near misses at the end of that match, Belgium was the better side. They got forward with initiative, dominated the midfield play and posed problems for the US on all sides throughout the game. The US never settled into possession, and often were harried off the ball after a couple connected passes. Belgium controlled the 2nd half, implementing a high press whenever they lost the ball, and immediately (sometimes before the US could even connect a pass) winning the ball back. In all, the US keeper made 16 saves, looked down 30+ shots and his defense made 67 (sixty seven!!) clearances. I dont recall Belgium losing an aerial battle (outside the Jones knockdown that lead to the... oh who wants to discuss that again)

Belgium was better. They are a young team with top tier talent. They have a world class player in Hazard, and many on that cusp. their players were in the top teams of England, Spain and Germany last season. Many played in the Champions league knockout stages. They played well yesterday. Belgium ran at the US, forcing us deeper and deeper and having to go further to get the ball on their side. If the US had managed to win that game it would have been theft. that happens in soccer, happens alot in tournaments. its part of the beauty of it.

That said... the US does what its known for. it defended like demons and pushed to the end. Depsite being on the back foot for much of the tournament the US escaped the toughest group and pushed a very good Belgium side to the brink. They had a good tournament. It also exposed some weaknesses the program has. But unlike tournaments passed, it exposed weaknesses that were more apparent in the system the head coach wants to implement than an overall lack of talent.

Thats what I enjoyed about this tournament. Klinsmann remained true to his proclomations. he wants the US to "play" soccer. The outside backs defended by being attackers. The centerbacks were asked to contribute in possession. we tried to build rather than bomb. at times, the lack of technical skill and basic experience in this set up cost us possession. it did not, however, cost us results. Klinsmann let them go. they just were up against teams that were better, more experienced, more consistent. We still nearly made the last 8. thats good. there are a very talented crop of young players on this team and in the wings. it will be interesting to see them in 2016, taking the field in qualifying, and how well this philosophy has been implemented with fresh players. In the end, you can remember that Jones finally showed his quality for the US, Dempsey officially took over the team from Donovan, Howard is a world class soccer player from the United States, Bradley struggled yes, but still went face to face with some of the best midfield players in the world (seriously, look at the names he stared down). but also that Yedlin and Johnson may have been the team's best players outside Howard, Besler, Gonzalez (and in the end Cameron) defended like top tier centerbacks (under that much pressure) and Julian Green made the best, most creative attacking run and finish by an American in the entire tournament.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mwt0bsd said:
InSuarezWeTrust":3mwt0bsd said:
Nobody that played a match in Manaus is still playing. Relevant.

no...
(in case that was a question)

in retrospect, as upset as we can be with Wondo's miss (come on Chris, you had one job, one!), and then disappointed at the near misses at the end of that match, Belgium was the better side. They got forward with initiative, dominated the midfield play and posed problems for the US on all sides throughout the game. The US never settled into possession, and often were harried off the ball after a couple connected passes. Belgium controlled the 2nd half, implementing a high press whenever they lost the ball, and immediately (sometimes before the US could even connect a pass) winning the ball back. In all, the US keeper made 16 saves, looked down 30+ shots and his defense made 67 (sixty seven!!) clearances. I dont recall Belgium losing an aerial battle (outside the Jones knockdown that lead to the... oh who wants to discuss that again)

Belgium was better. They are a young team with top tier talent. They have a world class player in Hazard, and many on that cusp. their players were in the top teams of England, Spain and Germany last season. Many played in the Champions league knockout stages. They played well yesterday. Belgium ran at the US, forcing us deeper and deeper and having to go further to get the ball on their side. If the US had managed to win that game it would have been theft. that happens in soccer, happens alot in tournaments. its part of the beauty of it.

That said... the US does what its known for. it defended like demons and pushed to the end. Depsite being on the back foot for much of the tournament the US escaped the toughest group and pushed a very good Belgium side to the brink. They had a good tournament. It also exposed some weaknesses the program has. But unlike tournaments passed, it exposed weaknesses that were more apparent in the system the head coach wants to implement than an overall lack of talent.

Thats what I enjoyed about this tournament. Klinsmann remained true to his proclomations. he wants the US to "play" soccer. The outside backs defended by being attackers. The centerbacks were asked to contribute in possession. we tried to build rather than bomb. at times, the lack of technical skill and basic experience in this set up cost us possession. it did not, however, cost us results. Klinsmann let them go. they just were up against teams that were better, more experienced, more consistent. We still nearly made the last 8. thats good. there are a very talented crop of young players on this team and in the wings. it will be interesting to see them in 2016, taking the field in qualifying, and how well this philosophy has been implemented with fresh players. In the end, you can remember that Jones finally showed his quality for the US, Dempsey officially took over the team from Donovan, Howard is a world class soccer player from the United States, Bradley struggled yes, but still went face to face with some of the best midfield players in the world (seriously, look at the names he stared down). but also that Yedlin and Johnson may have been the team's best players outside Howard, Besler, Gonzalez (and in the end Cameron) defended like top tier centerbacks (under that much pressure) and Julian Green made the best, most creative attacking run and finish by an American in the entire tournament.

Do you know how friggin close I was to being right Si? I knew he'd get one chance at a finish...

FUUUUU...

How about that gadget free kick in ET? Nice to see that from the US...and it almost got the job done....Dempsey just couldn't finish. SHould he have shot first time? Probably.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i dont think the first time finish was an option there. the ball was played a bit behind him, and looks like it almost hit him accidentally. either way, Courtois deserves credit for jumping at it.

thought id add something to your list:

Tim Howard - 39
Brad Guzan - 33 (Is he our guy in 4 years? Depends on Howard)
Fabian Johnson - 30 (yes, but we will see the likes of Eric Miller with Montreal challenging for a spot)
Matt Besler - 31 (yes- but expect to see SKC product Eric Palmer-Brown in the mix)
Omar Gonzalez - 29 (yes)
John Brooks - 25 (yes)
Geoff Cameron - 32 (probably)
Timmy Chandler - 28 (doubtful)
DeAndre Yedlin - 24 (will be a house hold name and European regular by then)
Julian Green - 23 (same as Yedlin)
Michael Bradley - 30 (yes- but Diskerud looks poised to take over)
Alejandro Bedoya - 31 (Bedoya and Zusi will find youth players pushing their minutes by 2016, again, look for Mukwelle Akale to be a name on the team sheet in the wing/mid spot by 2016)
Graham Zusi - 31
Mix Diskerud - 27 (may even be the Captain by then)
Jozy Altidore - 28 (yes, and will be important)
Aron Johannsson - 27 (yes, and will be important)
Clint Dempsey - 35 (sadly, it will be off the bench, if at all)

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1m4822vf said:
i dont think the first time finish was an option there. the ball was played a bit behind him, and looks like it almost hit him accidentally. either way, Courtois deserves credit for jumping at it.

thought id add something to your list:

Tim Howard - 39
Brad Guzan - 33 (Is he our guy in 4 years? Depends on Howard)
Fabian Johnson - 30 (yes, but we will see the likes of Eric Miller with Montreal challenging for a spot)
Matt Besler - 31 (yes- but expect to see SKC product Eric Palmer-Brown in the mix)
Omar Gonzalez - 29 (yes)
John Brooks - 25 (yes)
Geoff Cameron - 32 (probably)
Timmy Chandler - 28 (doubtful)
DeAndre Yedlin - 24 (will be a house hold name and European regular by then)
Julian Green - 23 (same as Yedlin)
Michael Bradley - 30 (yes- but Diskerud looks poised to take over)
Alejandro Bedoya - 31 (Bedoya and Zusi will find youth players pushing their minutes by 2016, again, look for Mukwelle Akale to be a name on the team sheet in the wing/mid spot by 2016)
Graham Zusi - 31
Mix Diskerud - 27 (may even be the Captain by then)
Jozy Altidore - 28 (yes, and will be important)
Aron Johannsson - 27 (yes, and will be important)
Clint Dempsey - 35 (sadly, it will be off the bench, if at all)

there were two options. First time finish, or tap across to Dempsey (which would have been behind, and to heavy).

Any other players in the youth system coming up?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
that play was always designed to land with Dempsey and he didnt have a clean touch.

Miller, Cropper, Palmer-Brown, Akale (obviously, these are Minnesota and Sporting KC products, as that is where I do my coaching).
Marc Pelosi from the Liverpool academy. Would have seen his name more if not for a terrible injury. CM/wing player who could do left back.
Gedion Zelalem from the Arsenal academy. Kid could be amazing, but may choose Germany. Klinsmann will need to make whatever concessions he did for Green with this kid as well
Luis Gil is another that will step into the scene relatively soon, part of the illustrious IMG program. still south of 20 years old though, on that same U20 team as Akale.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Being a fan of el Tri I'll tread lightly here... :mrgreen:

Being fans of one of the biggest regional rivalries I know we don't always see eye to eye. I just want to say that you guys should be proud with your team! They played very tough and almost squeaked in the win (wond'oh!) and that last free kick play was very clean.

I'm curious as to why it seemed at times that Klinnsman played very conservatively when you guys had talent to play up with some of these teams. I think Klinnsman has you guys in the right direction the only thing you truly lack is that motor of your team that can really control the tempo and distribute the ball to the rest. The good thing is that the CONCACAF for the most part showed that we are a beginning to show we can play with the european or s. American giants.

I dont have a clear cut favorite to win but I would like the Cup to stay in the Americas. Wouldnt mind seeing Colombia win it, a little shake up and having a first time winner again would be cool. Plus I love the way Jah-mess is playing, that kid is special.

Latest posts