Witherspoon Hasn’t signed yet.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Derick Hall got 85% of his signing bonus prior to the start of training camp too.

So if Young - 100%; Stroud - 100%; Richardson - 100%; Anderson - 85%; and Hall - 85%; right or wrong, I can understand the pushback from Witherspoon's representation.

Bingo. So before we jump on a 22/23 year old who probably doesn't know the whole picture -- let's acknowledge both sides part in it.

It's a business issue. It has nothing to do with Witherspoon's desire/attitude/character. So many are calling him a diva/bum/punk are out of tune and it's easy to point a finger.

So many personal feelings and axes to grind with this one.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He will. It’s haggling over the signing bonus they already have the contract hammered out

KinesProf

Reaction score
Bingo. So before we jump on a 22/23 year old who probably doesn't know the whole picture -- let's acknowledge both sides part in it.

It's a business issue. It has nothing to do with Witherspoon's desire/attitude/character. So many are calling him a diva/bum/punk are out of tune and it's easy to point a finger.

So many personal feelings and axes to grind with this one.
Yep. No good guys or bad guys. I'm sure the Seahawks have a firm and justified belief in their position too. Ultimately, it is business, not personal. And does not reflect at all upon football character.

They'll come to an agreement.

But I do understand the position of his representation if they don't want to be the outlier amongst the 4 players picked ahead of him and his defensive teammate that went 32 picks after him.

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
Wow, just take a step back off of the ledge. It’s July and Spoonman is a baller. Take heart this kid will turn out to be a great pick.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I remember Marcus Trufant held out as a rookie for a little bit in training camp.

It'll all work out. Looking forward to seeing him play. They'll get the deal done

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
This is nothing. I hope. History tells us he will sign, and most likely soon. Holdouts well into training camp used to be the norm. Glad we’re past that. As soon as they implemented the rookie wage scale, holdouts became essentially non existent. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t signed by Friday.

Fade

Reaction score
Not too concerned yet. But it is strange he's the only unsigned draft pick. I hope the Seahawks didn't draft a "head case". Luckily they have some solid depth at the secondary positions. The longer he sits the more he gives another player a chance to win starting CB spot or playing time. There is deep competition with Jackson, Coby Bryant, Tre Brown, Burns, and the newly signed Whitaker.
Witherspoon's film and physical tools are excellent, but this is making me nervous.

Their whiff rate in the first 3 rounds on defense going back to 2016 is abysmal.

If they drafted yet another bust with a top 5 pick... I... man... I'm sick of having that conversation.

They might have drafted a kid who's secured the bag, and isn't really concerned with being great. He has his $20M+ guaranteed and is cool with going through the motions and being mid. It doesn't matter how gifted an athlete you are if you don't have the drive.

He is more concerned with how his money is doled out to him than securing his starting spot which is all but lost at this point. (Jackson isn't giving it up, Witherspoon has to take it, which is hard to do while holding out.) As the only unsigned rookie out of 259, no less. This is a 🚩.

I want to be dead wrong.

bileever

Reaction score
I think he will sign soon. Missing a couple of days is nothing.

I wonder if it is a cap issue. Most teams picking at the top of the draft are rebuilding and have plenty of cap space. So although a number 5 pick might ordinarily expect to get his money up front, the Seahawks don't have that luxury. But couldn't they pay it up front and then spread it out over 4 or 5 years if it's a bonus?

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Witherspoon's film and physical tools are excellent, but this is making me nervous.

Their whiff rate in the first 3 rounds on defense going back to 2016 is abysmal.

If they drafted yet another bust with a top 5 pick... I... man... I'm sick of having that conversation.

They might have drafted a kid who's secured the bag, and isn't really concerned with being great. He has his $20M+ guaranteed and is cool with going through the motions and being mid. It doesn't matter how gifted an athlete you are if you don't have the drive.

He is more concerned with how his money is doled out to him than securing his starting spot which is all but lost at this point. (Jackson isn't giving it up, Witherspoon has to take it, which is hard to do while holding out.) As the only unsigned rookie out of 259, no less. This is a 🚩.

I want to be dead wrong.

This is so much speculating....it's all sorts of messed up. I have no idea how Witherspoon is going to turn out but reading things like is something else.

You usually have valuable inputs with legit reasonings but boy...I have a hard time with this one. You feel how you want to feel but there is nothing to suggest Witherspoon has this type of attitude or lack of passion for the game. Things that I have read about him suggest he is very driven and wants to provide for his mom and siblings.

It's been a weird day with fans attacking this kid. Some have a good understanding of the situation and some without a clue. A lot of judgement here.

Hopefully this gets resolved so fans can actually talk about what he does on the field -- whether good or bad. It's better than stuff like this...

pmedic920

Reaction score
Someone mentioned this in the actual tweet/twitter comments.

It’s possible that it’s all due to not having established residency in Washington yet.

According to the comment, if he gets paid prior to establishing residency he will owe a large chunk to the State of Illinois.

Seems like it could be a valid reason, huh?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
He’s not a bust he wants more signing bonus up front. Has zero bearing on his play and physicality. This is a top 5 contract he is due a signing bonus which is why Quandre restructured his contract

NoGain

Reaction score
We keep talking about "he". What do we know about his agent? A lot of times it's just the agent's doing.

toffee

Reaction score

It’s possible that it’s all due to not having established residency in Washington yet.

According to the comment, if he gets paid prior to establishing residency he will owe a large chunk to the State of Illinois.

what about the other rookies? and FAs? Not sure taxation would be on contract or payment date, I would assume it's the payment date, if so, all he have to do is delay the payment a few weeks.

CPHawk

Reaction score

Isn’t he from Florida though? Going to college someplace doesn’t make you a state resident.

NoGain

Reaction score
He can always fire the agent at any time.....
Sure. We know it's all about what percent of the upfront money he's going to get at the signing of his contract. Three of the four picks in front of him are getting 100% of it. The Hawks are offering, I think, 75% of that, as is their custom. Witherspoon and his agent want 100% of it like those three players picked in front of him.

Is it more the agent or Witherspoon who is currently more in the driver's seat about that? I don't know. We'll likely find out soon enough.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Isn’t he from Florida though? Going to college someplace doesn’t make you a state resident.
Unless that’s where he established his residency, right?

I’m not sure where he’s from or if it’s even a valid point.
It just seemed reasonable to me, while him holding out really doesn’t unless there’s more to it than we’ve already speculated on.

I didn’t hear the question well but I’m fairly certain Pete was asked about it during his press conference today.
If I heard what I’m thinking, Pete seemed pretty darn confident, and I’m less concerned now than when I started looking for answers to why he hasn’t signed.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Sure. We know it's all about what percent of the upfront money he's going to get at the signing of his contract. Three of the four picks in front of him are getting 100% of it. The Hawks are offering, I think, 75% of that, as is their custom. Witherspoon and his agent want 100% of it like those three players picked in front of him.

Is it more the agent or Witherspoon who is currently more in the driver's seat about that? I don't know. We'll likely find out soon enough.
I can't really blame an agent for pushing back against my client being the outlier; especially with D Hall getting 100% and Will Anderson getting 85%. I'd also question why the team feels an arbitrary cutoff at pick 4 when "pick ranges" are often referred to in groupings of 5.

Sauce Gardner was a 4th overall pick at CB and signed in May of that year. So either the Hawks are acting abnormally here, or Spoon's agents are.

far north

Reaction score
I hate it when holdouts come back only to get injured for some reason so i hope he signs soon