Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP53

Reaction score
HawaiiD":mhhhfptw said:
hieroglyphics":mhhhfptw said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

Heck...
I love this idea. How about Paul Allen giving RW
18 million a year MS endorsement deal and give
Him 2 million a year Seahawks contract

The NFL PA would never sign off on something like that.

jblaze

Reaction score
Kap (or his agent rather) is starting the negotiation at $18m/year in the media and I think that's an important piece to keep in mind. That's the starting negotiation point. My guess is it'll end up somewhere around 16m a year. This is important because RW will be getting similar numbers next year.

RW will not be taking a discount no matter how nice a guy he is or how much he wants to win. This is a business and he wants to own a franchise or two in the future and that takes money. He's also been very active in the media this offseason and is interested in being a celebrity so I don't think he's going to want to be in the middle of the pack for salaries.

I think RW gets 16-18 next year. The SB locked up his salary for the foreseeable future regardless of his function in the offense. Yes we're run first and don't ask RW to carry the offense but I think SB's matter more than stats in the end.

jblaze

Reaction score
Cartire":x3x2gds2 said:
EverydayImRusselin":x3x2gds2 said:
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

He's not gonna do it with $20 either. If he wants to own a sports team, he'll have to start investments now. Which I'm sure he already has. His salary in football will only be a small percentage of his overall. His endorsements and long term investments will be his actual money maker.

He'll still gonna get at least $15 a year, maximum of $18.

I stick by my thought that JS will not give him an early extension and instead let him play out his final year of his rookie contract. The new CBA is changing everything and were just now getting to the years where everything is actually going to change. The idea of QB contracts following this unheard of inflation to always be the "highest paid" isn't going to remain.

Strap yourselves in. There is gonna be a lot of changes to the common practice in the next few years.

There is zero chance the Hawks let RW play out year 4 of RW's rookie contract. They will not take a chance on letting him get away when we've been looking for a franchise QB for 38 years.

RW has far outperformed his rookie contract, he deserves the raise and they'll give it to him at the earliest opportunity. There's one common denominator in most bad teams and it's that they don't have a franchise QB.

They're first world problems having to pay a franchise QB. Any team would love the problem of having a franchise QB with a large salary as you cannot win without one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MVP53":373xlqqb said:
Uncle Si":373xlqqb said:
MVP53":373xlqqb said:
Bigpumpkin":373xlqqb said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Alot will be determined by Kaep's increase, as they are similar QBs

Agents & GMs aren't the simpletons that play in our fantasy football leagues who only care about yards & TDs. I'd be surprised if total yards & TD passes get more than a brief glance when it comes to Wilson's contract negotiation.

But, if we want to go the stats route, let's look at the stats that matter...

QB Rating: 101.2 (6th among full time starters)
YPA: 8.25 (4th among full time starters)
Comp %: 63.1 (10th among full time starters)
TD/Int ratio: 2.9 (7th among full time starters)

That all in his second year in the league.

Can't even imagine what Wilson's actual value is to the franchise, but the NFL salary cap does not allow for players to actually be paid that figure.

If NFL QBs were actually paid based on yards & TDs, then Wilson would be well served to play out his rookie contract in Seattle, then get the heck out of dodge, and sign a one year "I can throw for 4,000 yards & 35 TDs" prove it deal somewhere else.

Again, I understand RW's metrics and his overall value to this team. I'm just saying when targeting his future contract its hard to ignore the contracts that QBs like Romo, Dalton, Cutler, Stafford get/are going to get.

Maybe its as simple as defining a different set of metrics to compare to (as you have done, which makes alot of sense).

I guess I will be interested. for me, he is the perfect QB for this team, this franchise, this city. Maybe I'm just "hoping" common statistics limit his future contract

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2v2kpjkt said:
Like they did with all of Cutler and Romo's "intangibles"?

The samples are there.

I'm not suggesting in the slightest RW doesnt deserve it (and am in no way comparing this to Dilfer). But you dont have to look far to see big QB contracts handed out to big numbered QBs who have failed to secure any championships (or in Romo's case even a playoff game).

just saying numbers will play a part. But I still see Kaep's contract being the benchmark for Griffin and Wilson

Dude for our sake lets hope numbers do not play a part in it. because other than Yards and attempts he is top 10 or better in every other one, to include wins, comebacks, etc. You need to be careful when you talk stats because there are a lot of other stats besides yards that matter, and Rw is top 10 or better in all of them

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":rfkdeh2d said:
EverydayImRusselin":rfkdeh2d said:
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

He's not gonna do it with $20 either. If he wants to own a sports team, he'll have to start investments now. Which I'm sure he already has. His salary in football will only be a small percentage of his overall. His endorsements and long term investments will be his actual money maker.

I stick by my thought that JS will not give him an early extension and instead let him play out his final year of his rookie contract. The new CBA is changing everything and were just now getting to the years where everything is actually going to change. The idea of QB contracts following this unheard of inflation to always be the "highest paid" isn't going to remain.

Strap yourselves in. There is gonna be a lot of changes to the common practice in the next few years.

Heck of a gamble, we could loose him and then what? Answer we give the division back to SF. If they resign Kap with a year left and leave Rw dangling that would be a major slap in the face, and Rw already has a reason to want to go someplace else, that being go to a team that is more pass orientated. There is no way they do not try to get something done before he becomes a FA, NONE at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawaiiD":6yjt927t said:
hieroglyphics":6yjt927t said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

Heck...
I love this idea. How about Paul Allen giving RW
18 million a year MS endorsement deal and give
Him 2 million a year Seahawks contract

Yeah I would venture to say the NFL and NFLPA will be all over that looking for the obvious collusion. Will never happen. Besides Rw will get those endorsements no matter how big his contract is.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MVP53":rapd7pbf said:
Uncle Si":rapd7pbf said:
MVP53":rapd7pbf said:
Bigpumpkin":rapd7pbf said:
Answer: No, Russell Wilson will not be asking $18 million! Because he knows that it will not allow the FO to gather a decent team around him. The key to success in the NFL is to have a "balanced team".....just like we have now. While it is true the our OL does not have the success that our LOB has, our strengths are in relative balance. No NFL team can have "All-Pro" players at every position......not with a salary cap.

I think a lot of Seahawk fans are going to be a little surprised & a little disappointed when it comes time for RW's contract negotiation.

He may work it to be as cap friendly for the team as he can, but he's going to be paid top QB money, ESPECIALLY if he has 2 SB wins under his belt.

Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Agents & GMs aren't the simpletons that play in our fantasy football leagues who only care about yards & TDs. I'd be surprised if total yards & TD passes get more than a brief glance when it comes to Wilson's contract negotiation.

But, if we want to go the stats route, let's look at the stats that matter...

QB Rating: 101.2 (6th among full time starters)
YPA: 8.25 (4th among full time starters)
Comp %: 63.1 (10th among full time starters)
TD/Int ratio: 2.9 (7th among full time starters)

That all in his second year in the league.

Can't even imagine what Wilson's actual value is to the franchise, but the NFL salary cap does not allow for players to actually be paid that figure.

If NFL QBs were actually paid based on yards & TDs, then Wilson would be well served to play out his rookie contract in Seattle, then get the heck out of dodge, and sign a one year "I can throw for 4,000 yards & 35 TDs" prove it deal somewhere else.

Exactly

dean

Anthony!

Reaction score
jblaze":opw56uiu said:
Kap (or his agent rather) is starting the negotiation at $18m/year in the media and I think that's an important piece to keep in mind. That's the starting negotiation point. My guess is it'll end up somewhere around 16m a year. This is important because RW will be getting similar numbers next year.

RW will not be taking a discount no matter how nice a guy he is or how much he wants to win. This is a business and he wants to own a franchise or two in the future and that takes money. He's also been very active in the media this offseason and is interested in being a celebrity so I don't think he's going to want to be in the middle of the pack for salaries.

I think RW gets 16-18 next year. The SB locked up his salary for the foreseeable future regardless of his function in the offense. Yes we're run first and don't ask RW to carry the offense but I think SB's matter more than stats in the end.

The problem is while we do not always ask Rw to carry us, he has, and has shown he can when need to include this year, with the 31st ranked pass blocking o-line, and that will also be brought up.

jblaze

Reaction score
Anthony!":10c17t3z said:
jblaze":10c17t3z said:

The problem is while we do not always ask Rw to carry us, he has, and has shown he can when need to include this year, with the 31st ranked pass blocking o-line, and that will also be brought up.

I think this is true but for a limited period. Maybe 8 games while Breno and Okung were hurt, otherwise this wasn't the case so it's probably not a huge leverage point.

I do think RW could do more if we asked him to and we will in the future as our run game deteriorates a bit once Lynch leaves. I think he's doing exactly what they're asking to in regards to game management, not turning the ball over if there's any risk at all, etc.

MVP53

Reaction score
Uncle Si":17kbuamg said:
Again, I understand RW's metrics and his overall value to this team. I'm just saying when targeting his future contract its hard to ignore the contracts that QBs like Romo, Dalton, Cutler, Stafford get/are going to get.

Maybe its as simple as defining a different set of metrics to compare to (as you have done, which makes alot of sense).

I guess I will be interested. for me, he is the perfect QB for this team, this franchise, this city. Maybe I'm just "hoping" common statistics limit his future contract

You reference Romo & Cutler, what about Joe Flacco? He was 14th in total yards & 15th in TD passes in 2013.

Cartire

Reaction score
jblaze":ef1lh0wh said:
Cartire":ef1lh0wh said:
EverydayImRusselin":ef1lh0wh said:

There is zero chance the Hawks let RW play out year 4 of RW's rookie contract. They will not take a chance on letting him get away when we've been looking for a franchise QB for 38 years.

RW has far outperformed his rookie contract, he deserves the raise and they'll give it to him at the earliest opportunity. There's one common denominator in most bad teams and it's that they don't have a franchise QB.

They're first world problems having to pay a franchise QB. Any team would love the problem of having a franchise QB with a large salary as you cannot win without one.

Trends change. There's another common denominator that's becoming more and more noticeable. Once QB's get there pay day the teams around them begin to drop out of Super Bowl contention.

Peyton made it with his team, but I think we can all agree just how weak the AFC is and also, Peyton made up for a huge deficiency in his team.

-Flaccos paid, they lose everyone.
-Rogers is paid, they limp into the playoffs in a bad division. Out first round.
-Ryan is paid, there goes the Falcons.
-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha
-Do you really think Cutlers team is going to be dynamic next year?
-I have no idea how the lions can field a enough players with Stafford, Johnson and Suh taking up 33%, but is it a surprise that they come up short every year?
-Brady is one of the best QB's I've ever watched, and he is the main reason they made it as far as they did. But let's be honest, the AFC East? St. Louis could have won that division.
-Bree's did well bringing his team back to the playoffs this season, but now that they have to pay a second player (Graham), let's just see what happens.
-Rivers? The definition of a long term mediocre team.
-Hell, I'll throw Bradford in there since he's making franchise money on the preCBA 1st round overall. ....

There you go. There's your franchise QB's in a nutshell. So tell me again why we must follow the status quo? Things are changing. And they will continue too. Do you not think that JS sees these trends? Do you want to do what everyone else does, or do you want to win Super Bowls?

Edit: and one more thing about searching for a franchise QB for 38 years. I think that's a huge slap in the face of Hasselback. Guy was our franchise QB for a long time and won us multiple divisions. Let's not pretend RW is the first coming. I love him, but you have severely hyperboled our history just because we hadn't won a Super Bowl.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Uncle Si":uwq18cna said:

Joe Flacco laughs at this

chris98251

Reaction score
So it's been a long time since the NFL has done this but in the old days there were player coaches. How would a player / coach salary work? Say 10 million player and Assistent to the Head Coach salary of 5 million.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":38eexk60 said:
Uncle Si":38eexk60 said:

The same Joe Flacco who has thrown for over 3600 yards and 20 TDs the last 5 years? 3800 and 3900 the last two years) Wilson threw for 3300...

I get it... noone likes my statistics argument.

I'm hoping it keeps his cost down.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2uizrlnr said:
Hawkfan77":2uizrlnr said:
Uncle Si":2uizrlnr said:

The same Joe Flacco who has thrown for over 3600 yards and 20 TDs the last 5 years? 3800 and 3900 the last two years) Wilson threw for 3300...

I'm dreaming it keeps his cost down.

He executes the offense he is asked to. When that offense needs more he puts the team on his back and takes over. DC, ATL playoff games. Houston this year. Something Cutler, Ryan etc I dont believe could do at his level.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2aqbhyvn said:
Hawk Strap":2aqbhyvn said:
Yep. And he deserves it. One day in the next couple years Lynch will be gone and the defense will go from one of the best ever to just damn good, and we will continue to win because of the once in a lifetime greatness of Russell Wilson.
This.
For me too.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Smellyman":3gul3rzl said:
fridayfrenzy":3gul3rzl said:
Those that think Russell Wilson will try to be your friend and not get as much money as he can are fooling yourselves. Just because Russell Wilson is a good guy and the Seattle QB does not mean he is going to take less money. These guys have a short time to make their money and Russell Wilson's is already shorter cause of the rookie deal he is on.

Russell Wilson should ask for as much money as he can and no one should expect otherwise. When the time comes for his third correct, then perhaps he may look at a deal like Tom Brady took recently.

but many on this board would take less money than their peers if it is better for the company.

I wouldn't take less money because it's better for the company, but would take less money if it's better for myself for other reasons, and have indeed done so. And when I was a kid, my parents turned down job opportunities that would have meant substantial wage increases because, after pondering the prospects, ultimately decided they'd be happier staying where they were. And now that I think of it, Andrew Luck turned down the potential of a 70mil rookie signing bonus by returning to Stanford to get his degree rather than going to the draft, knowing that the following year such rookie signing bonuses would no longer be in effect because there'd be a new CBA in place. And he got trashed in the media for making that decision.

I'm not saying that Russell Wilson will turn away chances to get as much money as he can, and won't make any judgments against him if he went to a different team for more money. I'm not one of those expecting him to give a "hometown discount". I'm just saying that whenever I see discussions about athletes contracts, I see comments like yours which suggest that nobody ever takes less money in any walk of life, so nobody should expect athletes to. The fact is that every year, large numbers of people do indeed decide to work for less money than they could get elsewhere, including athletes.

But as I said, I have no preconceived expectations on what Russell Wilson will do. I do think there's a likelihood that eventually teams will begin to decide that giving 1/5th of their salary to one player is a detriment to their chances to win a Super Bowl, so the market simply will no longer result in 20mil per year contracts.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":jcwqhq1g said:
Uncle Si":jcwqhq1g said:
Hawkfan77":jcwqhq1g said:
Uncle Si":jcwqhq1g said:

I'm dreaming it keeps his cost down.

He executes the offense he is asked to. When that offense needs more he puts the team on his back and takes over. DC, ATL playoff games. Houston this year. Something Cutler, Ryan etc I dont believe could do at his level.

I agree 100%... and I believe he is a very underrated QB. these are more intangibles than basic statistics (although another poster was spot on in listing the statistics he excels at).

I'm saying (or asking) is what plays more of a role in "getting paid?" maybe its both (probably both I guess)

Cartire

Reaction score
Escamillo":74x44ooa said:
Smellyman":74x44ooa said:
fridayfrenzy":74x44ooa said:
Those that think Russell Wilson will try to be your friend and not get as much money as he can are fooling yourselves. Just because Russell Wilson is a good guy and the Seattle QB does not mean he is going to take less money. These guys have a short time to make their money and Russell Wilson's is already shorter cause of the rookie deal he is on.

Russell Wilson should ask for as much money as he can and no one should expect otherwise. When the time comes for his third correct, then perhaps he may look at a deal like Tom Brady took recently.

but many on this board would take less money than their peers if it is better for the company.

I wouldn't take less money because it's better for the company, but would take less money if it's better for myself for other reasons, and have indeed done so. And when I was a kid, my parents turned down job opportunities that would have meant substantial wage increases because, after pondering the prospects, ultimately decided they'd be happier staying where they were. And now that I think of it, Andrew Luck turned down the potential of a 70mil rookie signing bonus by returning to Stanford to get his degree rather than going to the draft, knowing that the following year such rookie signing bonuses would no longer be in effect because there'd be a new CBA in place. And he got trashed in the media for making that decision.

I'm not saying that Russell Wilson will turn away chances to get as much money as he can, and won't make any judgments against him if he went to a different team for more money. I'm not one of those expecting him to give a "hometown discount". I'm just saying that whenever I see discussions about athletes contracts, I see comments like yours which suggest that nobody ever takes less money in any walk of life, so nobody should expect athletes to. The fact is that every year, large numbers of people do indeed decide to work for less money than they could get elsewhere, including athletes.

But as I said, I have no preconceived expectations on what Russell Wilson will do. I do think there's a likelihood that eventually teams will begin to decide that giving 1/5th of their salary to one player is a detriment to their chances to win a Super Bowl, so the market simply will no longer result in 20mil per year contracts.

I would also argue that a QBs long term value skyrockets with the more Super Bowls he wins or is apart of. I think it's more then obvious that Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw have made so much more in endorsements and promotions because of the longevity of their accomplishments. What they made in the NFL pales in comparison to their life long earnings after they were done playing the game.

We are just now entering the 4th year of the new CBA. The magnitude of pay structures is just now beginning to show its face. And as all the new rookies that were apart of it begin to enter their next contract, it's going to completely change the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.