Who would you rather go up against?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
If you were a #1 or #2 WR, let's say 6' maybe 6'2", who would you rather have defend you, Browner or Sherm?

Against Browner, he is going to beat the crap out of you within the 1st 5 yards and probably a little after that as well.
Against Sherm, he is going to bat away almost everything thrown at you while providing gobs of lip service the entire game.
In this scenario, you are a WR, not a LB or an SS that lives to hit people.

I would prefer to go up against Sherm, who is going to piss me off and be almost impossible to catch a pass against as opposed to getting smacked in the mouth at the start of each play. BB is a true force, and that is no knock on Sherm who is the better CB IMO.

Goofy thread but we are still in the offseason...

hawker84

Reaction score
Browner, battle is at the line of scrimmage. If you can shake him you can get free for a minute most of the time.

Sherman is a student of the game, not only is he going to jam you at the line, but he alread has an idea of the route you're running, and will be in your hip pocket harrassing you the whole time.

Both are very good at hand checking, it will be a tough day with either, but Browner is my choice.

sutz

Reaction score
QBs are less likely to throw at Sherm. He'll drop back a step and then close in for the pick after the throw. So, Browner, I guess. But the difference isn't that much. :)

Reaction score
It would depend on what kind of athletic abilities I have as to whom I'd prefer to line up against.

If I've got great quicks and very good footwork, I'll take Browner. You'd have to out-shift him somehow at the line, and acknowledge that you'll lose some snaps to his excellent jamming. But once you can shake him with a good move, you can blow by and be open for a few moments before ET closes in. My QB better be Johnny-On-The-Spot with the pass though; timing is everything in clearing Browner and getting the ball pre-ET so you have a chance to do SOMETHING with it after the catch.

Sherm would be so annoying to face all game long, LOL. I don't care who you are, his mental game will work your nerves. He's tough to shake off on routes and he baits the QB all day long. This CAN expose him to getting burnt but it seems to happen rarely enough that you can't depend on that as a WR or QB.

How about crossing routes??

Chancellor says no...

Cartire

Reaction score
Without question I would rather go against Sherman. I may not get the ball as much, but I should remain alive. Im about the same size as Welker if thats any indication.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Sherman. If you go up against him knowing that he's just having some fun with you, and can dish the trash talk back, then at the very least you'll have some fun while not catching anything.

With Browner you get trash talked and beat up. When you try and talk back he goes into full gangster mode and makes you feel like an idiot, then beats you up again. While you're sitting on the bench thinking about how awful that body slam was, you'll hear him and Sherm trash talking you, and right when you go to look around to see where it's coming from Browner will be there to beat you up one more time. This goes on for the entirety of the game.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I agree, SouthSound.

If being a WR only concerned running a route, it would be Browner. Mike Wallace made him look slow and uncoordinated.

But I'd pray my QB NEVER stepped out of the pocket; that's when Browner feasts on WRs, just ask Jennings. At least with Sherman, you may come out of the game alive and with only your pride injured.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd take Sherman.

I saw Browner at Big Al's in Vancouver. You see him on TV. You hear about how big he is, but you can't imagine how big this guy is until you're next to him. It's really stunning that this guy can even play DB.

When Browner gets his hands on you at the los, he erases you. He doesn't just mess the timing of the route up, he destroys it. I've seen QBs just quit looking his way after about 10 snaps as their WR isn't getting off the los, and the QB just moves away from them. He's also got great length (obviously) and bats a ton of balls away. Then there's the tackle. Say you do catch the ball. Who would you rather have tackling you ? I bet Wes Welker could answer that question quickly.

Sherman lets you get open. He baits the QB, then takes the ball away. Then he tells you about it, over and over. All that really hurts is your pride.

SE174

Reaction score
Browner, because if you put a quick move on him or he doesn't jam you at the LOS, you have a good shot of getting open enough for a completion. You're gonna need a surgeon to get separation from Sherman.

OP
OP
LudwigsDrummer

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
It looks like the few answers I got seem pretty well split down the middle.
The point of this thread is as good as Sherm is, some might wish to face him over BB. If BB is that big of a force for us, it would be great to keep him after he becomes a UFA at the end of this season. He is part of the identity of smashmouth hitters we have on both sides of the ball.
How much is BB worth to us? It would suck if a hated rival tried to sign him.

Cartire

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":sd7jv422 said:
It looks like the few answers I got seem pretty well split down the middle.
The point of this thread is as good as Sherm is, some might wish to face him over BB. If BB is that big of a force for us, it would be great to keep him after he becomes a UFA at the end of this season. He is part of the identity of smashmouth hitters we have on both sides of the ball.
How much is BB worth to us? It would suck if a hated rival tried to sign him.

Knowing BB's attitude and his love of the LOB, unless we punked him during negotiations for a crap deal, he would never leave for another team, especially in the division.

But with the pending contracts for both ET and Sherm, and Kams new deal, I could see BB's offer being the obvious lesser of the 4 and that might spite him a bit.

Latest posts