Who is this year's Bruce Irvin type surprise draft riser?

Starrman44

Reaction score
Joel Bitonio is who I am hoping for as well if we do a surprise pick.

I would rather do it on a line prospect.

cover-2

Reaction score
Florida St (FS) Terrence Brooks. A lot of other teams are going to try to copy our defensive personnel types and Brooks is a poor mans version of Earl Thomas. Brooks has great range like ET, although not his ball skill. If teams want to play our type of cover-3 where the CB's press at the line of scrimmage, then those teams are going to need a FS with some great speed. IMO Brooks is the second best safety, maybe the best safety in the draft. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is #1 with Brooks being 1a; for me if Brooks had a better team interview than Clinton-Dix he would then edge out to be the number one safety this year. If I were a team in need for a FS I would target Brooks as my guy instead of Clinton-Dix. Brooks is the #1 FS in terms of explosive athlete, exceptional quickness/closing speed, near elite - elite speed for the position, and he is tougher than what his size would indicate. Brooks had the best 40-yard time of all the safeties, tied for the best vertical jump of all the safeties, and the 5th best broad jump of all the safeties at the NFL combine; all those drills tell you how explosive each player is.

[youtube]x8yfj8MpI-A[/youtube]

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TheWebHead":36ltdc3y said:
Not a first round bump, but Howard Jones off his combine could move to day 2... wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland take Garappolo with their second first round pick

Garappolo is a good pick to surprise in a muddled QB class. He's from a small school but he's going to draw comparisons to Aaron Rodgers for his measurables and his tape.

pcbball12

Reaction score
I'll throw out a name. I have only seen 2012 tape on him, but Adrian Hubbard from Alabama. 6'6 257 listed as OLB but would play Leo fro us. I think his film is ok. Really stout in the run game, flashes pass rush ability (nice bull rush, shows some bend and dip, and explosive when stunting). 34 1/2 inch arms, ran a 4.69 and had a 38 1/2 inch vert so he has explosiveness to him. I don't think he has come close to reaching his potential as a player.

Right now I think he is being talked about as round 3ish. Last year he was being talked about as a future 1st round pick if I remember correctly. I personally would not take him round 1, but I could see Pete being enamored with the potential and the tools he has to be a long term Leo option. Obviously do not think this is what will happen, but since we are playing this fun game I thought I would throw out a name no one is talking about. It would fit the "what the helll?" type of pick we have become used to seing in round 1.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think Brandon Coleman would still be a bit of a reach at #32, but if Pete's looking for guys who still have some ceiling, you know he'll be looking that direction.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Donte Moncrief is the surprise riser for me. He gives us the 50/50 threat, can separate deep, and consistently uses his size to block. He only runs the vertical routes, but he can at least sink his hips and get open on short routes. Yeah, I'd be surprised if he went in the first... but that's kinda the point.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I don't know if you can have a Bruce Irvin type surprise pick at #32. I think part of that was where he was selected mid 1st round. It caused a stir because no one had him mocked that high. Those last picks in the first round are anyones guess. But, this is a cool topic you've started. Speculating on Janis in the first round is pretty bold. Boy, I don't know about that. Janis is projected in the 5th to 6th round by CBSSports and I'd probably more agree with that. Now you've got my attention a bit more with Janis. I did like what I saw in his highlights, but...

I'll go with Moncrief as well. While watching an Ole Miss game this season, my youngest son said, "That guy is awesome. The Seahawks should draft him." Yeah, well it's not just a young football player's opinion. I did have him sit down and watch Moncrief to see what he thought.

(If Tate is back, I'm sorta feeling fine with the WR group, though. I would feel just fine about going into the season with Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Tate and Lockette. Matthews, Bates, Clark and Walters to compete in training camp.) As far as an intriguing WR prospect that I think would be interesting to have in camp if they wanted to spend a mid-round pick on potential, I REALLY liked what I saw from Bruce Ellington (even though he's only 5'-9") in game action. I got the same impression with what is said in the 2nd paragraph about his strengths in this assessment - that he plays bigger than his height would otherwise indicate: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... -ellington His cousin, Andre, is doing well with the Cardinals.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Snohomie":1n070pul said:
Donte Moncrief is the surprise riser for me. He gives us the 50/50 threat, can separate deep, and consistently uses his size to block. He only runs the vertical routes, but he can at least sink his hips and get open on short routes. Yeah, I'd be surprised if he went in the first... but that's kinda the point.

I almost picked Moncrief.

Latest posts