Who’s your Seahawks Mount Rushmore

hawkfan68

Reaction score
His other argument is that cornerbacks were slower in Largent’s day, so he could beat them but not current cornerbacks.
Dieon Sanders, Darrell Green, Albert Lewis, Mel Blount, were some of the CBs that played during the same time as Largent. Each of them had a 40 time of 4.5 or better.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Dieon Sanders, Darrell Green, Albert Lewis, Mel Blount, were some of the CBs that played during the same time as Largent. Each of them had a 40 time of 4.5 or better.
So that raises the question “Did Largent have problems with fast cornerbacks? “ I don’t remember that happening. I don’t remember any CB who consistently shut him down. However, as a senior citizen, I don’t totally trust my memory these days!

chris98251

Reaction score
Speed didn't matter to Largent precise routes and he could cut on a dimes edge and give you 9 cents change, sure he could be caught from behind on a long pass, but that was not his game although he had a lot of 20 plus yard scores. He also was stocky and not taken down easy. Remember a lot of bump and run was played then and he was able to release and be free also. He was smart and set DB's up a lot as well.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

TraderGary

Reaction score
I have a guy on the Bears forum saying Largent was too slow (4.7 in 40) to play in today’s NFL, would be covered by a linebacker,etc. DJ Moore is Usain Bolt compared to him, blah, blah. Total disrespect.

My question: Would Largent in 2023 be Pro Bowl, average WR, or too slow to make the roster? If he ran 4.7 at the combine, he might go undrafted.
I'd argue that Largent would be even better today because of the rule changes. Back when he played, DB's could pretty much mug a receiver until the ball was in the air. No 5-yard rule back then. And then when the receivers did catch the ball, DB's were actually allowed to put a serious hit on them without fear of a penalty. Jack Tatum among others were infamous for that. It was a different game back then. (Yes I'm old enough to remember).

Largent didn't rely on speed. He was the best route runner in his era and one of, if not the best in history. He often found himself wide open vs the best CB's in the league.

I don't recall who it was that said it, but one of the top and well regarded CB's in the league at that time was asked straight out who the toughest receiver in the NFL was to cover, and without hesitation he said Largent. There's a lot more to being a great WR in the NFL than just speed.

Largent was an incredible route runner, had amazing hands, and terrific field awareness. One of the best to ever play the game and I felt so privileged to have the honor of watching him play for my favorite team every week. I have no doubt he would have thrived in today's NFL.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
May I have your permission to quote your comment on the Bears forum? It’s perfect.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Here's an article from 1986 where Lester Hayes, Raiders CB, comments on Steve Largent - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-10-11-sp-2620-story.html
Great article.. The debate on the Bears forum started when I said Bears should have drafted JSN and he will have a better NFL career than DJ Moore. I said I see some parallels between him and Largent and he could be the Seahawks next Largent. That’s when he said Largent is too slow to play against today’s faster corners, JSN is much bigger and faster, etc.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Admittedly I didn't watch Largent. Definitely a fan fav, but didn't other Seahawk receivers beat his single-season records? (Engram, Doug, Lockett) Someone school me on his greatness. If he was a receiver in today's game, would he be dominating? What made him special?
I only peripherally saw him play as I was a Bears fan back then (Sweetness is still my fave of all time). But even I knew Largent was great. This article sums it up fairly well:

“Steve Largent is another wide receiver who was arguably ahead of his time. Playing for the Seattle Seahawks from 1976-1989, Largent had eight seasons of 1,000 yards receiving, leading the league twice, and was a seven-time Pro Bowler and All-Pro in 1985. When he retired in 1989, he held the career receptions, receiving yards and touchdown records and did not exactly have Hall of Fame QBs in Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg throwing the ball his way, either. His 100 career receiving touchdowns still rank as 10th most all time.”

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment, and yes of course
The rejoinder on the Bears forum guy is that the 5-yd rule started in 1978, so Largent did benefit from it for most of his career. I said OK but he’d still benefit today.

keasley45

Reaction score
Rushmore:
Easley
Tez
Largent
 Walt

National / Presidential Libraries:
Lynch
Chancellor
Wagner
Sherm

If you're in the Hall, you're carved in stone in my book. So the 'founding fathers' are set.

The next gen- no less critical, but they need a different way to be recognized.

TraderGary

Reaction score
The rejoinder on the Bears forum guy is that the 5-yd rule started in 1978, so Largent did benefit from it for most of his career. I said OK but he’d still benefit today.
My bad on that. I didn't realize it was implemented that far back. Doesn't change anything in my mind regarding the greatness of Largent though and his effectiveness in today's game.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Rushmore:
Easley
Tez
Largent
 Walt

National / Presidential Libraries:
Lynch
Chancellor
Wagner
Sherm

If you're in the Hall, you're carved in stone in my book. So the 'founding fathers' are set.

The next gen- no less critical, but they need a different way to be recognized.
My lists would be exactly the same, not necessarily in that order though. Don't think you were putting them in any particular order.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I already did this but I'll do it again because I'm bored

Russell's
Largent
Cortez
Walter

It'd hard leaving lynch, Sherman, Earl, Easley etc off but had time do it. I think refency bias clouds peoples view of Russ which us fair but he's on there for me.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine the universe in which Wilson would deserve a spot on the "Seahawks Rushmore" and Wagner wouldn't.
In any case, I'd go with Largent, Easley, Kennedy, and Jones.
If somebody from the XLVIII team has to be on there, it's very clear to me that it should be Wagner. Sherman is probably second. Those two will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and were part of the historically great unit that made the Seahawks contenders in 2012-2016 and won XLVIII.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
How about Paul Allen as the "figure head", because he saved us from Ken Behring shipping the team off to LA!!!
After Paul, our local hero, I would put Marshawn Lynch as my favorite player and choice to be honored.
The traitor @dangerwich, should not be in consideration until after his career is over.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine the universe in which Wilson would deserve a spot on the "Seahawks Rushmore" and Wagner wouldn't.
In any case, I'd go with Largent, Easley, Kennedy, and Jones.
If somebody from the XLVIII team has to be on there, it's very clear to me that it should be Wagner. Sherman is probably second. Those two will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and were part of the historically great unit that made the Seahawks contenders in 2012-2016 and won XLVIII.
Who made the rule about only 4 on the Seahawks Rushmore? I like your picks but I'm adding Wagner. Out of a dominant defense with plenty of stars , 54 has had a hof career , never was really sidelined with injury, and just kicked ass.

Latest posts