Which Football Fan Are You?

What Type of Fan Best Describes You?

• I am a "Follow The Ball" Seahawks Fan. My focus is on who has the ball and where it is going.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • I am a X's and O's Fan. I study the game within the game and I am a student of the game.

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • I just want the Seahawks to win. That's all I care about. I don't care about the who, what or why'

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other (Read my comments)

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For years it's been a curiosity of mine to understand the dichotomy of 12's who walk these halls here at .NET, always wondering who is the casual observing football fan and who is the X's and O's experts among us. Yes, certainly we can point fingers at a few here that we know are the latter based on their posts but I always wonder about the lurkers.

This is your opportunity to stand up and be counted...

Davidess

Reaction score
I am an Xs and Os kind of fan but also like im sure a lot of hawks fans, just want them to win.
I love hearing others talk about the game and love talking to others about it. although I get bored when a subject gets rehashed over and over (I.e Bevell)

GO HAWKS!

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Never really thought about it but I guess I'm a Follow the Ball type of guy. The X's and O's come before and after the game for me but during the game I'm just way too invested. If we have the ball I just really want to see the Seahawks get that first down and march up the field and when we're defending the only thing going through my mind is making them punt. Every play is exciting for me.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I kind of reside in both X's and O's and follow the ball.

But most the time I follow the ball but my analytical side can't help it at times.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Watching a game with others, i have to remind myself to just enjoy the game and not annoy others with the details they don't care to know. to call someone a casual fan fells like calling a QB a game manager, so I won't. I am however, a football nerd. (though I do personally call the tribalistic strictly follow the ball types Ham n Eggers. Not a term of my origin, but I like it as an apt description of my polar opposite type fan)

Because when I watch any game, Hawks or other, I scan the lines, linebackers and tight ends to see what the blocking scheme might be. Then I look to see if it is 2 deep or something else. How much space are the corners giving, and to who. I try to figure out where I think the play is going, then see what unfolds. Like Largent80, what was the matchup? Is it a ruse by the D, or is the matchup really there? I am manic almost tryinf to get all the info I can. I absolutely hate it when the broadcast is so busy showing replays or other crap that they only cut to the play just before the snap, I get none of my pre snap stuff when they do that. If alone, I will pause the game presnap in that event so I can get my bearings.

ESPN on occasion broadcasts college games on the web from the perspective of the sky cam. No sound except for stadium sound. It is, to me, the absolute best way to watch a football game, over the quarterback's shoulder.

I think the day is coming when we will be able to choose the camera we watch from, that one will be my choice.

BeaHUman

Reaction score
I'm a Follow the Ball' type on Sunday. I get my X and O from the DVR, experts here and around the media, not much I can add that isn't covered by the regulars. :th2thumbs:

(Been a .net fan and member since the Cheney days and met a few at Radish's house.)

nepahawk

Reaction score
Watching a game on tv, it's hard not to be a follow the ball viewer.
You are at the mercy of the producer in the truck.
You might get glimpses pre snap but after that your following the ball.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":113ggp75 said:
Watching a game with others, i have to remind myself to just enjoy the game and not annoy others with the details they don't care to know. to call someone a casual fan fells like calling a QB a game manager, so I won't. I am however, a football nerd. (though I do personally call the tribalistic strictly follow the ball types Ham n Eggers. Not a term of my origin, but I like it as an apt description of my polar opposite type fan)

Because when I watch any game, Hawks or other, I scan the lines, linebackers and tight ends to see what the blocking scheme might be. Then I look to see if it is 2 deep or something else. How much space are the corners giving, and to who. I try to figure out where I think the play is going, then see what unfolds. Like Largent80, what was the matchup? Is it a ruse by the D, or is the matchup really there? I am manic almost tryinf to get all the info I can. I absolutely hate it when the broadcast is so busy showing replays or other crap that they only cut to the play just before the snap, I get none of my pre snap stuff when they do that. If alone, I will pause the game presnap in that event so I can get my bearings.

ESPN on occasion broadcasts college games on the web from the perspective of the sky cam. No sound except for stadium sound. It is, to me, the absolute best way to watch a football game, over the quarterback's shoulder.

I think the day is coming when we will be able to choose the camera we watch from, that one will be my choice.

Ham and Eggers? Casual fan?

Those two jumped out at me. I like the Ham and Eggers nick name kind of funny to me but the casual fan I take a little defensively.

I definitely don't qualify as a casual fan but I do follow the ball. It's something I noticed when I started watching games with a friend who picks the game apart as it happens. He is constantly saying did you see that hit so and so made (something barely on the screen) type of comments and I am constantly saying no. Fortunately I record all the games and so I am constantly rewinding to see what he caught that I missed. I do make much more effort now than I use to to scan the field but I find myself getting caught up in the old habits fearing I will miss the play if I am scanning other areas.

I liked that you listed a couple things you look at like defensive formations and trying to diagnose a play before it happens. That is something I honestly haven't tried but it seems like it would be fun and interesting to give a shot.

Would be cool if you had some suggestions on what to look for pre-snap as well as post snap that might help others like myself that have an interest but can't get past old habits.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I am kind of a combo of all really. I am always trying to look at the matchups and alignments presnap but like I have mentioned before and Scotte noted the broadcasts drive me nuts anymore. The coming back late from commercials, close ups on fans/coaches/players eyes right up until the snap irritates me to no end. I try to force myself to just sit back and enjoy the live action game or else I would go max rager on my tv. Later, I rewatch the game on DVR and pause rewind a lot of stuff looking for other stuff (ie. blocks, missed blocks, blitz pickups, coverages....).

I certainly do not consider myself an expert by any means as I do not know all the intimate details and names coverages and such but I do enjoy identifying what the strategies are. I also love reading thru poster's thoughts, breakdowns, and seeing the gifs from our resident gurus.

A

Anonymous

I tend to take a more scientific, calculated, and a silent approach to watching, even when in the stands. When a great play happens, I scream like a pre-teen girl at a slumber party, but otherwise, I'm studying as much of the screen as possible before the snap. I do tend to follow the ball a lot during play action but once the carrier is established my focus widens. At the end of a good play, I hold back my enthusiasm until we are absolutely assured of no flag on the play.

It's all about the preparation to me. I'll watch a few hours of pre-game coverage to find out all about who is playing and will try to predict how the matchups will be exploited; very much like what Rob does.

Reading Scotte's post, it occurs to me we should have a live, all-22 channel option. One where you can switch audio feeds around, and would get just a one-camera wide shot throughout the game. That would be soooo cool.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":ws8nmskw said:
I tend to take a more scientific, calculated, and a silent approach to watching, even when in the stands. When a great play happens, I scream like a pre-teen girl at a slumber party, but otherwise, I'm studying as much of the screen as possible before the snap. I do tend to follow the ball a lot during play action but once the carrier is established my focus widens. At the end of a good play, I hold back my enthusiasm until we are absolutely assured of no flag on the play.

isn't that a little sad? Like a puppy that has been slapped on the nose to often. I wonder if Green bay or Stealer fans do this? It's frustrating to feel like you have to wait to celebrate because to often a mysterious flag comes flying in and kills the play. Even worse is so many times they don't show what the flag was for but rather show the players sitting on the sidelines or a previous play. It wouldn't sting nearly as bad if they showed you the call was legitimate.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2k5t42rl said:
Never really thought about it but I guess I'm a Follow the Ball type of guy. The X's and O's come before and after the game for me but during the game I'm just way too invested. If we have the ball I just really want to see the Seahawks get that first down and march up the field and when we're defending the only thing going through my mind is making them punt. Every play is exciting for me.

:13: exactly the same for me. Well said. I get so pumped over anything that goes successful our way. Not as much as when I was younger, but still an air fist pump or two. I typically watch the game by myself because I've drove everyone away with my madness. I get so stressed out.

I'll admit I learned my football X's and O's from madden NFL football. When we get the overhead cam I get a better feeling diagnosing what russell or our D was looking at.

Like the poster a few before mine, I wish I could watch the game from overhead cam without commentary, I'd be much more comfortable diagnosing that way.

Other than that, I'm just an angry young man watching by myself, flipping off the announcers if they say something negative about us, rooting for the seahawks. I can only watch the ball with broadcast camera angle

hawk45

Reaction score
I played OG and OLB in HS which doesn't add much to my ability to see the entire field on TV. On D my first read was TE then backfield, my man coverage assignment was TE, my zone was curl/flat, easy peasey.
On O I blocked the guy in front of me away from the hole or reached an ILB if was uncovered. In passing situations i was responsible for anything inside me if I was uncovered.
Film study was present but not exhaustive and for me mostly on defense. Each week the opposing team might have one standout player so we'd watch what the liked to do with him or any other tendencies.
I emphasize enjoying the game when watching so I don't spend too much effort.
I find myself watching watching LBs for blitzes pre snap when we are on O, watching to see our RB and WR alignment at times, and after snap I stare at the OL and if I don't see a jailbreak I get excited that we might see a good completion. I might look at opposing corners to see if their alignment gives away man or zone.
When we are on D I might check to see if Kam is in the box or if we are in press but lately I have been ball watching when we are on D. I used to always locate Williams on passing downs for obvious reasons but now that he is gone I just relax and enjoy watching them play.
I'm fine with the broadcast coverage, I don't really desire to engage analytically too much on game day. I will listen to pre game coverage for fun but don't task my own neurons with predicting how things might go. I freeload off of this message board for that.

calihawk

Reaction score
i follow the ball and then depending on the situation focus on coverage or formations or whatever.Mostly x and o evaluation
is done on my vcr.
When at a game its just win!

chris98251

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2atskog9 said:

It's all about the preparation to me. I'll watch a few hours of pre-game coverage to find out all about who is playing and will try to predict how the matchups will be exploited; very much like what Rob does.

Reading Scotte's post, it occurs to me we should have a live, all-22 channel option. One where you can switch audio feeds around, and would get just a one-camera wide shot throughout the game. That would be soooo cool.

You forgot to add check and make spelling and pronunciation of names is correct :)

Mick063

Reaction score
DVR allows me to cover all the bases.

Occasionally some periphery action will catch my eye. If so, I will zoom back 30 seconds and watch again for further dissection. I will repeat until I am satisfied in catching what I'm looking for. Often I don't need to do this because the color commentator will highlight the key elements and show the replay for me.

The nice thing about my own DVR replays is that it chews up "real time" and allows me to skip an occasional advertisement.

For me, the X's and O's typically come later, in review. During most live action, I get into the emotional aspects. The flow of the game, facial expressions, and body language. I like the emotional roller coaster and getting too technical takes away from that. Regardless, the technical stuff is often required as a backdrop to explain the emotional aspects of the game.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Labels, labels, labels. Sigh.

You're asking a life long non-conformist to label his fandom? Grrrrr.... OK, cuz I adore you, I'll try.

I mainly watch the action and the ball. Sometimes I may watch certain match ups because they interest me. And whenever possible I like to watch the cheerleaders. (Hey, we all got our own priorities!)

My Dad bought me my first pads, pants, and helmet (no facemask) when I was 13yo. I played sandlot ball, Federation ball in the Bronx, and some flag ball in the Army. (Toughest, meanest, ball I ever played. LOL)

I love the game and I certainly understand about strategy and X&Os. But to me it's all about the action, boss. I love the mano y mano aspect, but also realize the importance of 'being where your supposed to be, and doing your job' Which I attribute to coaching, which I also appreciate.

But winning the game is my main concern. How we win is of very little importance to me. 'Winning isn't the everything, it's the only thing." Lombardi?

Guess I'm a little bit of each of your categories. But hey, that's me. :les:

warden

Reaction score
I am a fan of football and my love for football trumps my love for the Seahawks. I am definitely not a follow the ball type or the only thing that matters is wins type. More of an X,s and O's type. My favorite part is watching players develop and grow through the years.