What's your starting O-line when everyone is healthy?

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
What combination of linemen do you want playing? Do we continue to rotate guys in? I know it's taboo to lose a starting gig to injury (looking at you, Dilfer) but which of the young ones have earned playing time continuing forward?

Personally I like the idea of rotating everyone at various points in the game. It gets the backups some reps and keeps guys returning from injury fresh. Even Okung, because I want him healthy for the playoffs.

I know O-line continuity is paramount but we should use this opportunity of having everyone healthy again to find the right combination for the playoff run. And in case of future injury, guys will be fresh in mind and body.

Here's the rotation I want to see at each position:

LT: Okung, with Bailey in at end of games/blowouts, also if HFA is clinched.
LG: Carp, McQuistan, and Bailey. I want to see Carp/Bailey next to Okung in pass situations, McQuistan in during early important drives. If Bailey can be nearly as dominant as Carp in run but vastly better in pass then we will know which guy is the future one.
C: Unger, with Lem in only if Unger needs rest or is fumbling snaps again.
RG: Sweezy, with Bailey getting reps in some passing downs. We know Bailey is great in run block but how about pass block, he was solid on all 16 passing downs on Sunday according to PFF.
RT: Breno. No rotation unless bad Breno comes back with bonehead penalties. If HFA is clinched then more reps for Bowie can't hurt.

Ideal:Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweezy, The Russian.
Experiment for future: Okung, Bailey, Lem, Sweezy, Bowie

capncrunch

Reaction score
I like the way you have it layed out pretty much. Compared to what you propose, I would give Bowie 30% Giacomini 70%
Jeanpierre 30% Unger 70%, Bailey 30% Okung 70% for the Vikings game. I would increase snaps for Bailey at the other spots you mentioned. So, he ends up playing more than half the game in aggregate. Going forward I see Carp as a guy who can be good to rotate. Bailey and McQ can compete for time at LG. I'm not sure who wins that battle. Perhaps McQ and Bailey can compete with Sweezy?

Reaction score
To even have this conversation speaks a lot for Cable's coaching up of this line, and how plug-and-play his system is. It's a great situation to have.

I sit and watch this whole crazy thing he's doing with rotations in-game last week and was really impressed. I was a left tackle in high school and it's hard to imagine working in this system; you have to know a LOT and be really tight with your fellow linemen in your football thinking. Communication is also key and trusting the guys on either side of you to do their job.

Again, the only potential issue with trying to do this situationally is telegraphing run/pass. But another way to look at it is having the confidence and talent to tip your hand a little and just do it anyway when they KNOW what's coming, lol. That's pretty in-your-face football, but risky at the NFL level for sure!

OP
OP
E

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
Lieutenant Dan":njo3rg77 said:
To even have this conversation speaks a lot for Cable's coaching up of this line, and how plug-and-play his system is. It's a great situation to have.

I sit and watch this whole crazy thing he's doing with rotations in-game last week and was really impressed.

This is why I know we will be good going forward in the future because a cheap O-line allows you to spend big on other important/luxury spots.

Again, the only potential issue with trying to do this situationally is telegraphing run/pass. But another way to look at it is having the confidence and talent to tip your hand a little and just do it anyway when they KNOW what's coming, lol. That's pretty in-your-face football, but risky at the NFL level for sure!

This is a valid concern but keep in mind that many of these guys have similar skill-sets: dominant at run and average in pass. So substituting one for the other shouldn't telegraph anything because theoretically, they are the "same" player. It wouldn't be the same as 3rd down back coming in for the 1st down one.

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":25fck1q4 said:
This is a valid concern but keep in mind that many of these guys have similar skill-sets: dominant at run and average in pass. So substituting one for the other shouldn't telegraph anything because theoretically, they are the "same" player. It wouldn't be the same as 3rd down back coming in for the 1st down one.

True, but it's just a matter of packages that might get recognizable is what I was referring to.

Like, Okung, Bailey, Unger, Sweezy, Bowie, for example, being used mostly for pass plays. While Okung, Carp, Lem, Sweezy, Breno for run plays...that sort of thing.

Anyway, we'll see how this plays out this weekend and after the BYE.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
3 weeks ago, the common complaint was that the Seahawks had no line depth and Cable might be overrated. (Though Bailey still should have been in for McQuistan earlier...)

This week, we're having the conversation about how to get all our guys playing time. It's a great problem to have.

Largent80

Reaction score
Having watched football for half a century, 0-line continuity has always been important.

Cable and these players have proved that to be untrue, so for me I don't need this player lined up next to that player anymore.

Protecting our franchise QB is the most important.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
It's funny how these injuries turned from a massive concern to an absolute blessing in disguise.

We are not only developing talent/depth, but also able to evaluate their in game performance whilst winning games. Honestly, is there any better scenario with big contracts looming in the near future?

I personally think, in 2 years, we will have what is considered one of the best OL in the NFL with a line consisting of Okung, Bailey, Unger, Sweazy, Bowie. Bold proclamation, but Bowie deserves a lot of credit for drastically progressing despite being thrown in the fire. Bailey, speaks for himself. I think he's going to be an absolute monster LG, who has the ability to slide to LT in a pinch.

Crazy to think that Bailey/Bowie could give us the ability to keep most of our big name guys, that otherwise might not have been possible without their development/future projection.

Yes, it's still very early, but man, these kids are going to get better and I (personally) have seen great progression.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I love the idea of Carp coming in late in the game as a closer. Bring in the heavy run O-LINE formation to ice the game away.

Reaction score
lukerguy":cagqjn05 said:
I love the idea of Carp coming in late in the game as a closer. Bring in the heavy run O-LINE formation to ice the game away.

LOL, Closer Linemen. This is such wild stuff to talk about.

If this all goes as planned, this regime could go down as one of the most important in league history as innovators.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pie Romania":27vsvg2q said:
Okung - Carpenter/McQuistan - Unger - Bailey - Giacomini

This is what I would push for, although I don't see pete and cable taking out Sweezy, although I think he's the weakest link out there amongst our starters. I also think, for me personally, it's McQuistan/Carpenter. I like Carpenter in the run game, but he's not very good in Pass Protection. I think McQuistan, although weaker at run blocking, is better at pass protection, so for me this one is kind of a wash and in those circumstances, I usually lean a little more to the pass protection.

plyka

Reaction score
entropyrulesall":2i2ykatg said:
What combination of linemen do you want playing? Do we continue to rotate guys in? I know it's taboo to lose a starting gig to injury (looking at you, Dilfer) but which of the young ones have earned playing time continuing forward?

Personally I like the idea of rotating everyone at various points in the game. It gets the backups some reps and keeps guys returning from injury fresh. Even Okung, because I want him healthy for the playoffs.

I know O-line continuity is paramount but we should use this opportunity of having everyone healthy again to find the right combination for the playoff run. And in case of future injury, guys will be fresh in mind and body.

Here's the rotation I want to see at each position:

LT: Okung, with Bailey in at end of games/blowouts, also if HFA is clinched.
LG: Carp, McQuistan, and Bailey. I want to see Carp/Bailey next to Okung in pass situations, McQuistan in during early important drives. If Bailey can be nearly as dominant as Carp in run but vastly better in pass then we will know which guy is the future one.
C: Unger, with Lem in only if Unger needs rest or is fumbling snaps again.
RG: Sweezy, with Bailey getting reps in some passing downs. We know Bailey is great in run block but how about pass block, he was solid on all 16 passing downs on Sunday according to PFF.
RT: Breno. No rotation unless bad Breno comes back with bonehead penalties. If HFA is clinched then more reps for Bowie can't hurt.

Ideal:Okung, Carp, Unger, Sweezy, The Russian.
Experiment for future: Okung, Bailey, Lem, Sweezy, Bowie

I think this "continuity" thing is misunderstood. It's not about making sure the same 5 guys are in games playing with each other. It's about the general continuity of players --this includes practice, OTAs and yes even the offseason. If you switch players in there during games, it doesn't have a detrimental effect on chemistry in my opinion. As long as we have roughly the same 8-9 guys playing the season, in games, in practice, going to lunch together, watching film and study together, etc.

Where chemistry comes in is if you have brand new guys off the street at the beginning of the season --those guys will get better and better the more time they spend together throughout the year.

That said, I would definitely not push Okung. He is most necessary in the playoffs or against the 49ers/Saints. I would play all of them sparingly, as long as there isn't a drop off in play. There is a huge drop off between Okung and Mcquistan. But if Bailey/Bowie get better and better and Tackle, I wouldn't mind switching them in there to give Okung some rest. If the team is up by 20 in the 3rd quarter, I saw sub in Bailey for Okung for the rest of the game. Again, unless he is having issues and there is pressure.

I would stick Mcquistan/Carpenter at LG, switch them in and out. Okung starting at LT, Bailey at RG, Breno at RT --then switch in Sweezy at RG and Bowie/BAiley at LT/RT.

I would play all of them, keep them fresh and healthy.

plyka

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1am5mo4g said:
It's funny how these injuries turned from a massive concern to an absolute blessing in disguise.

We are not only developing talent/depth, but also able to evaluate their in game performance whilst winning games. Honestly, is there any better scenario with big contracts looming in the near future?

I personally think, in 2 years, we will have what is considered one of the best OL in the NFL with a line consisting of Okung, Bailey, Unger, Sweazy, Bowie. Bold proclamation, but Bowie deserves a lot of credit for drastically progressing despite being thrown in the fire. Bailey, speaks for himself. I think he's going to be an absolute monster LG, who has the ability to slide to LT in a pinch.

Crazy to think that Bailey/Bowie could give us the ability to keep most of our big name guys, that otherwise might not have been possible without their development/future projection.

Yes, it's still very early, but man, these kids are going to get better and I (personally) have seen great progression.

This is one reason why oline is a position that you can get great in WITHOUT high draft picks. Really you need to spend a high pick on one position, that's LT, which the Hawks have done. The rest you can find with late picks, with guys undrafted or even off the street. On the other hand you can have 1st and 2nd round linemen which never pan out --read Carpenter as the perfect example.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Based purely on this season:

Okung - McQuistan - LJP - Bailey - Giacomini

Unger has not impressed me at all this year. His consistently bad snaps are the tipping point. I think LJP is playing better. I've never been a Sweezy fan

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I'd like to see the frenchman get some reps at guard. He's performed at Center, and if we can get him reps for Sweezy or McQ, I'd like to see that.