What team is in more trouble? Arizona or Carolina?

What 1-3 team is in bigger trouble?

• Arizona

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Carolina

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters

Erebus

Reaction score
Great points made in this thread. As it stands right now, I expect both teams to miss the playoffs this year. As has already been discussed, Arizona has a brutal schedule coming up (and Palmer might not play at SF tomorrow) and then they finish with games @SEA and @LA. I see a maximum of 8 wins from them.

Carolina's pass defense is awful, and it doesn't look fixable during the season. Their CBs suck and they don't have quality edge rushers. On the other side of the ball, their offensive tackles suck (yes, I'm a pot calling the kettle black). Although we've shown you can overcome lack of quality tackles, the Panthers aren't showing that right now as Newton has been getting mauled. They had an opportunity to address either the edge rush weakness or their offensive tackle weakness in the draft, but instead chose to fortify an already great DT group. I think that decision might come back to haunt them.

The only thing that might save Carolina this year is their weak division, but I think Atlanta can hold onto this 2 game lead. I'd be surprised if the NFC South produced a wild card team. Beyond this year, Carolina is in much better shape than Arizona.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think that it's pretty likely that they'll have to win the NFCS to get into the playoffs. Philly/Dallas is going to get one WC spot, and Minny/GB will get the other.

This is also why I'm bearish on the Rams. They'll end up 4-2 in the division, 9-7 overall at best, and that's not going to win a WC spot when the second-pace teams in the NFCE and N will have ten wins apiece.

Fade

Reaction score
Arizona easily.

Carson Palmer is old, and injury prone.

Carolina has problems in the secondary, defensive end, and offensive tackle, but they got the QB spot taken care of for the next decade, a good off-season, and they can be contenders again.

The Cardinals are done until they get their next QB, which may be a long time from now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's funny. In the offseason, people talked a lot about how Arizona caught all the breaks and was gifted an easy schedule. They were to play New England without Brady and Minnesota without Bridgewater. It looked like the division was theirs for the taking.

Then they lost to Brady's backup and now the Vikings look like the best defense in the NFL. This Thursday, they could drop to 1-4 with a loss to the hapless Niners. Just as no one predicted.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3is7cduq said:
I think that it's pretty likely that they'll have to win the NFCS to get into the playoffs. Philly/Dallas is going to get one WC spot, and Minny/GB will get the other.

This is also why I'm bearish on the Rams. They'll end up 4-2 in the division, 9-7 overall at best, and that's not going to win a WC spot when the second-pace teams in the NFCE and N will have ten wins apiece.

I agree with this point in all ways. Thanks.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Close but I'm thinking Arizona has the tougher matchups and what I love about this is that they are led by an Ahole coach who could lose the team if they keep losing. Keep them videos coming Ariens :2thumbs: (All Or Nothing ;) )

bigskydoc

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lrsqrb8 said:
It's funny. In the offseason,.. It looked like the division was theirs for the taking.

Then they lost to Brady's backup and now the Vikings look like the best defense in the NFL. This Thursday, they could drop to 1-4 with a loss to the hapless Niners. Just as no one predicted.

I wouldn't say no one predicted. I predicted they would beat out the digits for third place in the NFCW, and the Rams would be competing for a WC spot.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":1k8out0z said:
The Cardinals are done until they get their next QB, which may be a long time from now.

Which brings up an interesting thought, in that maybe they're better off bottoming out and getting the high draft pick instead of floundering around 8-9 wins and missing the playoffs.

Obviously if they win tonight and start to turn it around that would render this idea moot, but you're right.. the Cardinals need an heir apparent to Palmer. So clearly Carolina is in much better shape when you're talking BEYOND 2016. However, I still think the Panthers have bigger issues to deal with right now.. that secondary is awful. Stewart is hurt again. Funchess is a bust. Cam has got the crap knocked out of him the first 4 weeks too. Then of course the lingering Super Bowl loser "curse" (I feel its not so much a curse, rather you just put a giant target on your back and get EVERY opponents best shot)

Both teams have some very ominous looking signs right now in relation to their 2016 campaign.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I only caught a bit of the last half of the game, but AZ looked pretty strong. Not the team I saw last week.

Not sure how much of that is Rams or SF, but they did have some fire in them.

Threedee

Reaction score
The Niners spotted the Cards 17 points off turnovers. Then the momentum kicked in during the 4th Quarter.

Latest posts