What positions do the hawks have NOT filled by top 5 player

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Considering our pass coverage unit our DE's should be up there in pressures. The problem is that they aren't getting home enough to be considered top 5. Bennett had 7 sacks and Avril had 5. Neither one of them was in the top 25 in tackles for 2014 D line either. Look I think they are both very good but neither is top 5. I'd say Bennett is 10-12 and Avril is maybe 15 -20 range. As some one stated above our strength is that we have a lot of very good players who compliment each other's skill sets and a few great players that help put us over the top.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
brimsalabim":197knnlf said:
Considering our pass coverage unit our DE's should be up there in pressures. The problem is that they aren't getting home enough to be considered top 5. Bennett had 7 sacks and Avril had 5. Neither one of them was in the top 25 in tackles for 2014 D line either. Look I think they are both very good but neither is top 5. I'd say Bennett is 10-12 and Avril is maybe 15 -20 range. As some one stated above our strength is that we have a lot of very good players who compliment each other's skill sets and a few great players that help put us over the top.

You really think you can name 10 DEs better than Bennett or 15 DEs better than Avril?

Sacks/tackles are two measures, but they provide an incomplete picture of the total production. DEs typically disrupt far more plays via pressure than they do with a sack. Of course, the splashy stats like sacks/tackles are what mostly drive the market price for a DE . . . but it is actually pressures that best demonstrate a DEs overall effectiveness as a pass rusher.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Kam will down as one of the most dominant big game defenders in league history. He's an all pro normally, but in huge games and especially in the postseason, there hasn't been a more dominant defender. You really have to go back to Richard Dent or so. Dude makes extremely timely, enormous plays and does so in every part of the field.

Also, I think some folks are selling Sweezy a little short. He's still developing in pass pro, but he's already very good at it. Yeah, we've caught him wiffing a few times, but generally the guy mauls defenders on a regular basis. He's top 5, IMO. Probably right at 5 with room to grow into a top 1-2.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
QBs: √
RBs: √
WRs: Nope
TEs: √
T: Nope
G: Need a LG
C: Nope
DE: Top 10
DT: Top 10
LB: √
CB: √ Even with a newcomer
FS: √
SS: √
K: √
P: √
ST Coverage: √
Return game: Nope until proven otherwise.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
People are putting too much stock on our DTs & DEs...Good yes....but top 5..? C'mon..

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Quite a lot of positions. Wilson is top 5, Lynch, Graham and Wagner are top 3 and Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor are the best in their respective positions.

That is only seven players that can be considered top five. It is among the most in the league and wr have an amazing roster but it is not like our entire team is cream of the crop.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
MVP53":1kwcigf4 said:
hawknation2015":1kwcigf4 said:
Popeyejones":1kwcigf4 said:
I think a good case could be made for SS, but that's less of a general one, and more about an excellent match between skill set and scheme (on the Hawks and for what they want Chancellor is clearly top 5 IMO, but that doesn't translate across the league NEARLY as much as the other five positions).

LMAO. Chancellor is an All-Pro (in fact, the only SS in the league to make it), a future Hall of Famer, and the most feared player in the game.

Enjoy! :49ersmall:
[youtube]78qF72JwJwA[/youtube]

Calling Kam a future Hall of Famer is entering into the world of hyperbole quite a bit.

He has a long way to go to get to that level.
No, he does not. He's a future Hall of Famer. To even argue with that is to deny reality.

McGruff

Reaction score
dopeboy206":8vzoq5as said:
People are putting too much stock on our DTs & DEs...Good yes....but top 5..? C'mon..

I think Bennett and Avril are both top 5 . . . meaning top 10 overall as they play different end spots.

I think Mebane, when healthy, is one of the best NT's in the game, and has been for a very long time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If we're limiting "DE" to 4-3 DEs and saying Top 5 is really Top 10, then you can probably make a case for Avril and Bennett. But if it's among all pass-rushers, including 3-4 OLBs? There's no way.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2f83gxdm said:
If we're limiting "DE" to 4-3 DEs and saying Top 5 is really Top 10, then you can probably make a case for Avril and Bennett. But if it's among all pass-rushers, including 3-4 OLBs? There's no way.

Why would you compare them to 3-4 OLBs?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2015":7tvvup54 said:
DavidSeven":7tvvup54 said:

Why would you compare them to 3-4 OLBs?

Because they're all pash-rushers. Does it makes more sense to compare Avril/Bennett to Aldon Smith (3-4 OLB) or Justin Smith (3-4 DE)? I would say Aldon is the closer comparison, especially in Seattle's system which is more accurately a modified 3-4. The LEO is basically a 3-4 OLB with a hand in the ground.

misfit

Reaction score
People obviously have no clue in the difference in responsibility between a FS and SS in any defense. Some of you are holding Kam to FS standards as a SS.

Donk70

Reaction score
QB - Nope
RB - Top 5
FB - Nope
WR - NOPE
TE - Top 5
LT - Nope
LG - NOPE
C - NOPE
RG -Nope
RT - NOPE
DE - Nope
DE - Nope
NT - Nope
DT - NOPE
OLB - NOPE
OLB - NOPE
MLB - Top 5
CB - Top 5
CB - NOPE
FS - Top 5
SS - Top 5
PK - NOPE
P - Top 5
Ret - Nope
LS - Nope

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has enough seasoning to deserve mention in Top 5. Considering his entire package, I'm not sure there's another QB I'd rather have to lead a franchise. (Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck at this point, perhaps interchangeable 1a and 1b.)

I thought this was a great segment. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111231 Watch the video at the top of the page. Russell is part of the 5 QB's they mention to build the QB. Yeah, he's like Fran Tarkenton with his legs, but his description also mentions RW is highly rated in other categories making him a top QB.

Read the introduction to this piece: " ....given how rarely guys like Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson come along."
Only THREE (3) QB's are listed to introduce the topic. :Dunno: I don't buy that he's mentioned just because he can run. His leadership, competitiveness, clutch in comeback situations, etc. are also factors. That's a total package you just don't find with his running and scrambling ability.

Right now, perhaps many don't want to be too quick to distinguish him. But, he's simply fantastic. Because he came to a team already on the rise, perhaps he should feel fortunate and grateful to be in this position and accept an offer they've already presented. With Wilson's interest in owning a team one day, maybe Paul Allen can offer incentives - give RW 10% ownership in the team with each additional Super Bowl Championship. Win four more, get additional 11% for the first one as well - for 51%. Lol

Top 5's:
QB, RB, TE, MLB, CB, FS, SS, LS.
Honorable mention: KR/PR :th2thumbs:

Omahawk

Reaction score
For some reason I thought this was going to be a humbling topic for me. As it turns out, this list shows that we really do have reason to be proud and loud. This team is built with franchise-tag-worthy players (top 5 in the league at their position) from top to bottom, except for a few glaring spots. The O-line is an extremely expensive remodel so a mobile QB and an always open TE are musts. We have the pieces in place. We have the right people in the right places. I'm very excited to see this take flight. It's going to be bitchin'. I want another Super Bowl and I want it to be a rematch. Steelers, Patriots or Broncos, in that order.

Latest posts