What did you learn from Sundays game?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2qkrc6cw said:
Russ Willstrong":2qkrc6cw said:
scutterhawk":2qkrc6cw said:
No "Desperation In The Preparation"
The took this "HOME GAME" for granted, and got caught with their knickers down.
How true.
What ever happened to "the separation is in the preparation" and striving for GREATNESS that Wilson and Caroll spoke about in 2012. If this team was truly prepared it wouldn't have this record streak of 24 opening drives without a td. A well prepared team with thoughtful coaches just arent that inept.
Instead they've become a team of procrastinators with Pete cheering them on to just win in the fourth quarter.
This is definitely NOT a team striving for perfection.

This is an EXTREMELY telling stat as far as the effectiveness of the offensive strategy and playcalling. At the beginning of games is when it is fully orchestrated by your OC based on the preparation assessment.

This stat tells us our OC is woefully lacking in the ability to coherently game plan. Putrid
This is blatantly wrong. On Sunday, for example, if our kicker converts his standard NFL attempts, we score 25 points, which is more than enough to win. We also piled up 430 yards of total offense and dominated just about every offensive category.

But I guess calling out the OC is the easy thing to do when you don't want to delve into the real reasons why the outcome didn't go our way.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3353ny9x said:
This is blatantly wrong. On Sunday, for example, if our kicker converts his standard NFL attempts, we score 25 points, which is more than enough to win. We also piled up 430 yards of total offense and dominated just about every offensive category.

But I guess calling out the OC is the easy thing to do when you don't want to delve into the real reasons why the outcome didn't go our way.

It's not just the OC, it's the coaching staff as a whole. Pete, Bev, and Cable, who coordinates the run game as well as the OL. Their offensive system doesn't work without Lynch. They changed it in 2015 to accommodate for his injury and since he left they haven't had a run game even close to what they did with Lynch. Nonetheless, the second half of 2015 offensive philosophy was scrapped and we haven't been a consistently good offense since. Pete HAS to accept that this offense needs an injection of new life. Give Bev a chance to come up with something new - he has done it before. If he can't do it, get someone new next season. Oh, and can Cable if the line doesn't significantly improve. We got Brown, spent way too much money on Joeckel, and picked another lineman high in the draft. Make it happen dude.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2jjy271x said:
Siouxhawk":2jjy271x said:

It's not just the OC, it's the coaching staff as a whole. Pete, Bev, and Cable, who coordinates the run game as well as the OL. Their offensive system doesn't work without Lynch. They changed it in 2015 to accommodate for his injury and since he left they haven't had a run game even close to what they did with Lynch. Nonetheless, the second half of 2015 offensive philosophy was scrapped and we haven't been a consistently good offense since. Pete HAS to accept that this offense needs an injection of new life. Give Bev a chance to come up with something new - he has done it before. If he can't do it, get someone new next season. Oh, and can Cable if the line doesn't significantly improve. We got Brown, spent way too much money on Joeckel, and picked another lineman high in the draft. Make it happen dude.
I agree with this. And on that note, I'd like to see Bev or Carl Smith make it a point to do whatever it takes to get Russ to throw his players open. He has to freely anticipate his receivers carrying out their routes and throw to the spot that will be open instead of waiting for them to get open, throwing late and having the defender adjust to break up the play. Happened way too much Sunday. Maybe they are working on this. It's not like it happens all the time, but that hesitancy has cropped up before and never does us any favors.

massari

Reaction score
The 2011 Raiders have the record for most penalties in a season with 163 (10.19 per game)

DN-MDgsVwAA8CFl.jpg

Seahawks on pace to break that. :irishdrinkers:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1naqo0n9 said:
SoulfishHawk":1naqo0n9 said:
The game was a fluke. Numerous big plays called back among those 16 penalties. 3 dropped interceptions that would have changed the entire game. And of course, the 3 missed FG's. This game not only should not have been a loss, it should have been a blowout. The sky is not falling.

It's only a fluke if we hadn't already seen some of these issues throughout the season. Yes more than usual for penalties and missed FG's..........but our O-line has committed the most penalties in the league.

So it's no fluke. It's an ongoing issue that Pete needs to figure out.
Most penalties combined with least blocks...

Best point I’ve read here might be that we know Russell struggles with accuracy in the rain so why not adjust play calling under the specific circumstances? Coaches need to get out of their comfort zones and actually strategize a bit on the fly. Oh and where is Paul Allen? You got to believe he would have cleaned house if a staff performed like this at MS right?

NJlargent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2tho5rb6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2tho5rb6 said:
SoulfishHawk":2tho5rb6 said:
The game was a fluke. Numerous big plays called back among those 16 penalties. 3 dropped interceptions that would have changed the entire game. And of course, the 3 missed FG's. This game not only should not have been a loss, it should have been a blowout. The sky is not falling.

It's only a fluke if we hadn't already seen some of these issues throughout the season. Yes more than usual for penalties and missed FG's..........but our O-line has committed the most penalties in the league.

Best point I’ve read here might be that we know Russell struggles with accuracy in the rain so why not adjust play calling under the specific circumstances? Coaches need to get out of their comfort zones and actually strategize a bit on the fly. Oh and where is Paul Allen? You got to believe he would have cleaned house if a staff performed like this at MS right?

I was just thinking the same thing about Allen. I am hoping the change in PC at the press conference is a product of someone chirping in his ear that the seat is warm. Alternatively, he heard that he bobblehead assistants are on a short leash. I hope so as I would like one last legitimate run with this defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":15ekp77n said:
Sgt. Largent":15ekp77n said:
SoulfishHawk":15ekp77n said:

Russell had guys open underneath for most of the day Sunday, he decided to go deep far too often.

So it's not all on the coaches, Russell has to recognize what's available and check it down. I know we all love the deep balls, but those are 50/50 at best, and most are just flat out jump balls he's hoping his receivers come down with.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e3sq9x0 said:
brimsalabim":2e3sq9x0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2e3sq9x0 said:
SoulfishHawk":2e3sq9x0 said:

Russell had guys open underneath for most of the day Sunday, he decided to go deep far too often.

So it's not all on the coaches, Russell has to recognize what's available and check it down. I know we all love the deep balls, but those are 50/50 at best, and most are just flat out jump balls he's hoping his receivers come down with.

If only there were people on the payroll whose job it was to provide this feedback to RW. Ah well, maybe next season we'll have someone like that. What would you call that position, btw?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xjdn4iu said:
brimsalabim":2xjdn4iu said:
Sgt. Largent":2xjdn4iu said:
SoulfishHawk":2xjdn4iu said:

13 deep balls is not just a player decision. its a gameplan.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":1qpk6w5d said:
Sgt. Largent":1qpk6w5d said:
brimsalabim":1qpk6w5d said:
Sgt. Largent":1qpk6w5d said:

If only there were people on the payroll whose job it was to provide this feedback to RW. Ah well, maybe next season we'll have someone like that. What would you call that position, btw?

Pete's puppet?

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":1l44fufa said:
mrt144":1l44fufa said:
Sgt. Largent":1l44fufa said:
brimsalabim":1l44fufa said:

Pete's puppet?

I am waiting for the taek that RW is a stallion that needs to be tamed. In his 6th year with Bevell as his OC.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Seahawk":2zd9yazl said:
It is part of his inconsistency. He's either too much or not enough.
He's still pretty awesome but he needs to be more consistent and more accurate.
Just my observation. He can do it and has shown it. Just not very consistent at it.

Huge difference between "HIS ARM IS WEAK" and "He can do it."

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seymour":3oztjt9g said:
pmedic920":3oztjt9g said:
Seymour":3oztjt9g said:
pmedic920":3oztjt9g said:
A remote control thrown at medium velocity will break a 65” TV screen.

And TVs are slightly less expensive as they were 18 months ago.

Holy crap, that's gotta hurt! Sorry for the damage. I have to ask though. Did it make it through to the last catch at the 1 near games end?

Wasn’t my only TV.

I️ saw the whole game.

I figured that, I'm trying to ask which play spawned the event though.

I️ was running hot most of the game.
One of those missed FGs got my eyes glowing green.

Somewhere around the 4 minute left mark, I️ went into full Hulk mode, over “clock management”,not sure what happened after that.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
massari":31n6la5b said:
The 2011 Raiders have the record for most penalties in a season with 163 (10.19 per game)

DN-MDgsVwAA8CFl.jpg

Seahawks on pace to break that. :irishdrinkers:
Holy (DELETED) that's one ugly stat. Thanks for bringing that one to, uh, the surface.

aredub

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/927321129215250437[/tweet]

I learned that Bevell needs to throw this play out! Seriously...after the Super Bowl why the HELL would you ever try that play again.

Also, terrible decision by Russ to even try to throw that.

mrt144

Reaction score
aredub":35ph7zos said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/927321129215250437[/tweet]

I learned that Bevell needs to throw this play out! Seriously...after the Super Bowl why the HELL would you ever try that play again.

Also, terrible decision by Russ to even try to throw that.

I mean, the play is the play is the play in that situation. That the team and especially RW are bad at pulling them off doesn't make the no read slant strike a bad decision by RW, it makes it a bad decision to do something the team hasn't shown a capability of not screwing up in disastrous ways.

I mean the options are

Audible out of it.
Run the play as designed better.

There isn't some 3rd option like "hold onto it, make a few reads, dances around in the pocket and then make magic happen" when the entirety of that play design is a quick little zip into the hands of the receiver right as they're crossing the plane.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1yumibh4 said:
johnnyfever":1yumibh4 said:
Russ Willstrong":1yumibh4 said:
scutterhawk":1yumibh4 said:
No "Desperation In The Preparation"
The took this "HOME GAME" for granted, and got caught with their knickers down.
How true.
What ever happened to "the separation is in the preparation" and striving for GREATNESS that Wilson and Caroll spoke about in 2012. If this team was truly prepared it wouldn't have this record streak of 24 opening drives without a td. A well prepared team with thoughtful coaches just arent that inept.
Instead they've become a team of procrastinators with Pete cheering them on to just win in the fourth quarter.
This is definitely NOT a team striving for perfection.

This is an EXTREMELY telling stat as far as the effectiveness of the offensive strategy and playcalling. At the beginning of games is when it is fully orchestrated by your OC based on the preparation assessment.

This stat tells us our OC is woefully lacking in the ability to coherently game plan. Putrid

I'm one of the biggest Russell Wilson fans here, but if we're not scoring in the first quarter of a game EIGHTEEN times in a row, SOMETHING is haywire.
Wilson is too good (outstanding), to have this kind of stat next to his name.
Walsh needs to get his shit together......or to be fair to the rest of his hard working TEAM-MATES, John needs to find his replacement.
I don't want to read that he feels like he's "Capable", only to prove that when the chips are down, that he really isn't.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I learned we have a very tolerant fan base. The fact that they ran the super bowl play again and there isn't outrage is impressive. Personally I find the arrogance obnoxious and I wish the entire coaching staff got immediately terminated.

cymatica

Reaction score
I learned, while generally a well coached team, they lack "common football sense" when running an offense. How many hb screens have we ran this year? How often do we get 3 to 5 step drops? Our offense has had success by being gimmicky(zone reads, fly sweeps, scramble and pray).

It's like basic tried and true methods to help a struggling oline are just glossed over. Either that, or Bevell has no business calling plays.

mrt144

Reaction score
NJlargent":27qvhn4l said:
I learned we have a very tolerant fan base. The fact that they ran the super bowl play again and there isn't outrage is impressive. Personally I find the arrogance obnoxious and I wish the entire coaching staff got immediately terminated.

It's one of those things where there is a fatalism of knowing nothing will happen in season, probably won't happen in the offseason, and it's shouting at the wind to demand otherwise. Pete is not someone that most want to part with especially if that means there is a JS ouster as well. But everyone else is open season to some significant faction of fans. And for the most part we all love our players. Sure there are the OL and RBs and a handful of pet cases of just not liking a guy.

But I agree, they are in a rut that is seeming equal parts arrogance and reluctance. I wouldn't be beyond rooting for a gut check of a season to humble the coaching staff into approaching the talent they have in different ways schematically and tactically.

I really don't feel like this team is moving forward in any meaningful way because we are fighting an uphill battle against the yoke of the coaches ability at this point. We've lost lower level coaches and two DCs while Cable and Bevell have seen an increasingly bad decline in the run game in their tenure. I'm not going to lose sleep not being able to support a hunch that there is a causal link between coaching staff leaving for whatever reason and the laggard parts remaining and survivors bias reaping what success sows. Seriously, we've only kept the worst parts of our coaching staff and I feel this is showing.

But again, shouting into the wind.

Posted edited by staff: F bomb