Weakest link on the team still not addressed

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and continue to sleep on Carpenter and Sweezy, thanks. Sure you can squint your eyes and find reasons they'll be much better, but you can do that with every player on the roster. Carp hasn't demonstrated he can stay healthy or conditioned, and Sweezy is still an experiment at this point.

Add to that the perennial worries about Okung (and I sure hope Unger was injured last year because he was disappointing) and losing Breno, and it's legit to be concerned about the OL.

Definitely agree we want to wait until after the draft to conclude anything, and that FA availability of good linemen factors in so that there really is no easy button for JS. Also agree that you have to go cheap with some unit on your team and that this strategy worked great last year. So I won't bust out the pitchfork and march on Century Link if we continue in this manner. Just commenting that if JS had some magic dust left in his bag for spotting draft talent in the later rounds, I hope he uses it this year on OL.

As far as drafting linemen high, after the Carpenter/Moffit disaster I'd just as soon we don't draft any higher than round 4 so if we fail we fail on the cheap.

ceej22

Reaction score
I like these people who just assume there are a plethora of top level talent in free agency just waiting to sign with Seattle for half the price as any other team. First of all we have some young o-linemen that were improving as the season went on and will continue to improve. Second, paying big money for one of the top FA o-lineman takes money away from signing the big 3. Same people whining about not going on a spending spree in free agency are the same people that would whine if we did and then couldn't extend Thomas and/or Sherman. Third, quit freaking out we still have 5 months until preseason and a draft ahead of us. There is always a round of cuts following the draft. Look for JSPC to bring in a vet lineman or two after that along with drafting a guard/tackle.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
ceej22":1e2qhtzv said:
I like these people who just assume there are a plethora of top level talent in free agency just waiting to sign with Seattle for half the price as any other team. First of all we have some young o-linemen that were improving as the season went on and will continue to improve. Second, paying big money for one of the top FA o-lineman takes money away from signing the big 3. Same people whining about not going on a spending spree in free agency are the same people that would whine if we did and then couldn't extend Thomas and/or Sherman. Third, quit freaking out we still have 5 months until preseason and a draft ahead of us. There is always a round of cuts following the draft. Look for JSPC to bring in a vet lineman or two after that along with drafting a guard/tackle.

true and not improving the o-line could save you form having to worry about 1 member of the big 3 as Rw might get hurt and that's all she wrote.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anthony!":1qjl0g88 said:
ceej22":1qjl0g88 said:

true and not improving the o-line could save you form having to worry about 1 member of the big 3 as Rw might get hurt and that's all she wrote.

That is a weak argument. Even the best offensive lines allow sacks. On the other hand, the last six Super Bowl winners have had mediocre to downright bad offensive lines.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1n1ga1sx said:
We also picked up Greg Van Roten from Green Bay which is were we picked up Breno as well. I'm sure he'll be in the mix for starting left guard.
What do you think fans will call him if he plays poorly?