Walter Thurmond

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think this kid is truly special. Before he went down I thought he was our best CB--that's obviously saying something when Richard Sherman is on your team. Now, he has to prove he's really that good and he obviously has to stay healthy BUT...assuming I'm right and he proves himself to simply be too good to not be on the field what do we do?

Sherman ain't seeing the bench, so that leaves Browner or Winfield. I LOVE Browner but something about his game always make me nervous. If he mauls the WR at the snap, it's over. If not, he's susceptible. Watching Winfield highlights--ya he's 89, but--he looks like an absolute stud. PLUS, we've got some good young guys and a relatively high draft pick all in the competition. We very well could end up cutting a starting, if not #1 caliber CB this year.

I wonder if we make a surprise trade at CB for a future draft pick before the season starts?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think we keep Sherm, Browner, Winfield, Thurmond, and Lane for sure. Simon probably goes to the practice squad or gets cut, imo.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wo18b28 said:
I think we keep Sherm, Browner, Winfield, Thurmond, and Lane for sure. Simon probably goes to the practice squad or gets cut, imo.

We kept 6 corners for most of last year and remember most of them play special teams, Im betting Simon makes it and replaces Maxwell as the 6th cb and plays mostly special teams

JKent82

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2qmfsz1y said:

That's what I think too, 6th spot to the best special teamer most likely. I have no idea which corner it would be though. If Walter is healthy and playing well he'll be there.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If Thrumond, Lane, or Simon show enough I could see us letting BB hit the FA market after the season. We will have a hard decision on who we can resign but Earl and Sherm are tops on my list. It Earl and BB might cost less than Sherman alone so that makes everything tricky.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
An embarrassment of riches at cornerback these days. Holy cow, and to think names like Josh Wilson and Kelly Jennings were not all that long ago.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Aros":bl8rnlz4 said:
An embarrassment of riches at cornerback these days. Holy cow, and to think names like Josh Wilson and Kelly Jennings were not all that long ago.
Don't remind me!

rideaducati

Reaction score
I remember all the crying going in to the 2011 season about the Seahawks secondary and how they NEEDED to sign more help. Once again, Pete and John show us that they absolutely knew what they were doing.

kearly

Reaction score
IMO, Maxwell is on the outside looking in. I wouldn't sweat it if I was him though, even if he's cut. Teams have lined up around the block for Pete's table scraps at defensive back in the past and they will do so again in the future.

Seattle moved up to get Simon for a reason- it takes very little imagination to envision him as the next Brandon Browner. And guess who's a free agent after this season- who also happens to turn 30 before the 2014 season kicks off? Maybe Seattle keeps Browner, but only if everything breaks just right, and that's probably not happening. In any event, Browner's future in Seattle is uncertain at best. Why would Seattle discard their precious Brandon Browner insurance for a career special teamer like Maxwell? They wouldn't- not unless Simon is a royal mess between now and late August.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think we'll cut anyone who could start, especially at a position so coveted. I will not be surprised if we made a move with Browner, but that's IF your confident enough to trust Walter doesn't get hurt.

But yes, Thurmond is a 1st round talent who was incredible at Oregon.

hawker84

Reaction score
Aros":2emxyyoa said:

damn you man...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
seesurfers, you keep using the term we, but I do not understand. You're a Browns fan, and for some reason, you act like they've got Seattle's secondary.

Beyond that, your surprise CB trade idea is stupid. Let's trade for another body on the most logjammed part of the team. All that time learning to GM from Holmgren is not helping you.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm done expecting anything from Thurm. I believe in his talent and he's got the game of an All-Pro but there's plenty of dudes in league history that have profiled like he has and ended up never staying healthy and were out of the league quick. Even though I'm not expecting anything from him, the possibility of him staying healthy for one great season still exists, so he gets every shot to make this roster and if he gets hurt, you IR him again and sign him to a cheap 1 year deal next offseason and repeat the process again. Right now, Thurm would be a pleasant surprise for me and he's right up there with Carp and Bruce in terms of guys who I want to see exceed expectations this season.

I'm also in the camp that sees Simon making it over Maxwell, and like kearly, I could see Maxwell moving on to a team like the Jets and actually turning into a solid contributor, and not only on special teams. Simon actually kind of reminds me of a, stay with me now, poor man's hybrid of Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman. Or, Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman's little brother. He's got the in your face game like Sherman, he'll bodyslam someone like Browner, but the one thing the vet's are gonna have to do is toughen this kid up because there were way too many times at LSU that he shied away from contact. He doesn't have to be like Browner getting into MMA brawls in between plays, but even Sherm has lowered the shoulder and brought the boom (Cowboys in 2011 on Dez Bryant and 2012 with Percy Harvin) when he's had to.

If he's smart and soaks up everything like a sponge as a rookie, he'll be on the fast track to being his own, unique addition to the LoB. Not quite Sherm in coverage, not quite as physical as Browner, but a damn good player in his own right and one that many other teams would love to have.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":2csc6yzx said:
IMO, Maxwell is on the outside looking in. I wouldn't sweat it if I was him though, even if he's cut. Teams have lined up around the block for Pete's table scraps at defensive back in the past and they will do so again in the future.

Seattle moved up to get Simon for a reason- it takes very little imagination to envision him as the next Brandon Browner. And guess who's a free agent after this season- who also happens to turn 30 before the 2014 season kicks off? Maybe Seattle keeps Browner, but only if everything breaks just right, and that's probably not happening. In any event, Browner's future in Seattle is uncertain at best. Why would Seattle discard their precious Brandon Browner insurance for a career special teamer like Maxwell? They wouldn't- not unless Simon is a royal mess between now and late August.

I agree. Thing is, if Browner wants to stay here (he's stated he feels he owes the organization for giving him his NFL chance), and he takes a reasonable contract, you bet we keep him. Simon is more in the mold of Sherman and the Cromarties for body type. You can find CB's like that in the draft; hell we just found one in the 5th if he works out. I dare you to find another Browner. Anywhere. Ever. You just don't see guys like that in the defensive backfield. We may never see one again quite like him. I'm a proponent of keeping him as long as he's productive.

And why cut a guy who is a productive as he is, if he's still being productive ? Age doesn't mean everything, and 30 isn't necessarily an age indicator for decline at the CB position. RB sure, but they take a lot more punishment. WR's can be productive into their mid 30's, why can't CB's ?

I also don't see us putting Simon onto the PS, even if he's a dumpster fire. The FO got him for a reason, but my biggest fear is that if he goes to the PS, Bradley and the Jags would snap him up in a second. He wants to build a defense like ours, and raiding our PS for our current 5th rounder is just too easy. It's us doing his work for him.

12thMan1

Reaction score
Aros":g0vla53a said:

Who??? :D

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":3o18b5cv said:

Agreed with all.

AND....Simon is another guy I am very interested in seeing during camp, since he hasn't seen the field yet. He has big (future) shoes to fill.

Latest posts