Wagner's pricetag keeps going up

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2lelay30 said:
Steve2222":2lelay30 said:
You're a fool if you don't think they're not already brainstorming and planning Wagner and Wilsons contract. Nobody said it'd be easy locking up a top 3 MLB.
I'm guessing they wrote up Russ' contract offer months ago but he's been too busy watching film to look at it.

...well, that and they couldn't make him an offer months ago.

And although they could actually sign him to an extension now, I doubt they're distracting players with contract talk until the playoffs are over.

Mick063

Reaction score
It seems typical how players up their game when contract time comes along, but I think it has more to do with a player reaching his prime at about the time his rookie contract expires. Just a natural level of progression as opposed to pure greed, a claim I have read many times. Correlation does not always mean causation.

Regardless, as I have consistently written here since preseason, Wagner is a must sign. They can not let him go. I think he is every bit as important to the defense as Thomas, Chancellor, or Sherman. I have felt that way since watching him in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters in the playoff game against the Saints last year (They were occasionally gashing us with the run game in the first quarter but Wagner turned up the intensity level after that). Big play after big play in that game, getting the defense off of the field. It was at that time that I knew he was a vital cog.

chris98251

Reaction score
Couple things going for us, we have told and backed up the we take care of our own, I also think we have drafted depth and have a plan B if needed. We won't let them hit the street if we want them here unlike Tate where we thought Percy was his replacement.

The players know it's a business, but this F.O. doesn't BS guys either, that means a lot to the players.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1h9ywzz5 said:
JesterHawk":1h9ywzz5 said:
Steve2222":1h9ywzz5 said:
You're a fool if you don't think they're not already brainstorming and planning Wagner and Wilsons contract. Nobody said it'd be easy locking up a top 3 MLB.
I'm guessing they wrote up Russ' contract offer months ago but he's been too busy watching film to look at it.

And although they could actually sign him to an extension now, I doubt they're distracting players with contract talk until the playoffs are over.

I think Jester's post was tongue-in-cheek.

SDHawk

Reaction score
IIRC we have just over 20mm in cap space. Cutting both Mebane and Zach Miller should give us just enough to extend Wilson, BWags and JR Sweezy. Bruce is also up for consideration.

chris98251

Reaction score
Doubt we cut Mebane and Miller. but then again the sky is falling and the whole roster is going to be cut to sign two players this time of year. The Front Office has a plan, they have taken care of business so far and will continue to do so.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":12cf9878 said:
I really don't think that they throw the money they did at Wright and Avril without having a very reasonable amount earmarked for Wagner. I'm still not worried about losing him.

I agree with this. I can't see them throw money at Wright, in particular, without knowing they can afford Wagner. Avril is a big different as Pete values pass rush a lot, but to sign Wright to decent money would be plain idiocy if we lost Wagner over it.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
DanBug22":2th3c1kb said:
1st Team All Pro!?!?

Deservedly so, love Wagner and everything he brings to our defense. Now I'm starting to worry about Russ and Wagner both getting new deals soon. Trust Pete and John but hope on everything that we can resign BOTH these guys.

Can we afford to give out one of the biggest QB contracts and biggest MLB contract this year? Didn't we just give the biggest CB and FS contract? I don't know the salary cap details and rumor has the salary cap going up a good amount so maybe it's all possible. But man, Russ and Wagner leading us to back to back superbowls is going to raise them both even higher... :)

Can we afford both of them at top dollar? What a top MLB making these days? The top linebackers are making between 7-9M a year with Orakpo being the outlier at 11.4M but those all tend to be 3-4 linebackers so I would guess Wagner will make 7-8M? Maybe less.

I think we should be OK cap wise, after all that 2012 draft class was only worth an F.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
idahawks":38d0itw9 said:
I hear a lot of people on here point out that the salary cap is going up therefore we can afford to keep more high price players.

Isn't the salary cap going up for every team? Wouldn't the net effect of that be players salaries go up as a result. If every team has more money available to bring in top talent, the salaries will go up accordingly and the net effect will be the same- it will be tough to keep too many top talent players around. I don't think the salary cap increasing will help us retain more free agent players. Salaries will go up accordingly and we will end up paying more- supply and demand.

Yeah, we should just lowball these guys, and keep the extra money, because you know that there are players that will be willing to come to Seattle, and perform for peanuts. :p

It's a given that there are going to be players that will be going elsewhere, because there's no way they can keep them all, but they will find a way to keep as many priority players that they can.
The recent signings by the Seahawks Front Office are a sign that we are maneuvering to get guys like Wagner, and Wilson signed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":119t0ki2 said:
MidwestHawker":119t0ki2 said:
JesterHawk":119t0ki2 said:
Steve2222":119t0ki2 said:

Yes, but WHAT cheek :16:

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Seanhawk":baoq1ojr said:
MidwestHawker":baoq1ojr said:
JesterHawk":baoq1ojr said:
Steve2222":baoq1ojr said:

Ha, maybe so, and if so then LOL me.

I've just seen so much "Russell doesn't care about money, he cares about the TEAM" stuff that my judgment may be off.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":38udp14k said:
Doubt we cut Mebane and Miller. but then again the sky is falling and the whole roster is going to be cut to sign two players this time of year. The Front Office has a plan, they have taken care of business so far and will continue to do so.
This

Agree that Bane will be a Hawk for one more year (don't forget the expensive part of RW's contract won't start until '16). Zach may be cut IMO.

Bobby will get an extension.

rideaducati

Reaction score
idahawks":2cy97jca said:
Seahawkfan80":2cy97jca said:
It depends on what they signed on the bottom line for. Old contracts still apply. I think any. I believe I read where if the money coming in goes up, the players contracts still apply for what they signed for. Go Hawks.

I would guess all existing contracts do not change. But every team will have an extra 10 million to spend on free agents so the price for all subsequent contracts will go up. Hence Seattle won't be able to retain any more free agents because every team will have extra money to drive the price up.

The point being that our players would probably rather stay in Seattle for a bit less than play elsewhere for a bit more. Some will always leave, but most love being in Seattle.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Bobby is hoping they use the franchise tag. The 2014 number for an LB is 11.455 Million. I'm hoping they lock him up for another 5 years for less. He needs to be on this defense.

ringless

Reaction score
With all of these contracts is there going to be an issue 4 years down the road?

Sherman
Wilson
Thomas
Wagner
Wright
Avril
Chancellor last year

I mean I haven't looked at the forecasted cap situations moving forward but it would seem and I could be wrong there is going to be a time when a lot of hard hard decisions are made?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":19m71ok8 said:
With all of these contracts is there going to be an issue 4 years down the road?

Sherman
Wilson
Thomas
Wagner
Wright
Avril
Chancellor last year

I mean I haven't looked at the forecasted cap situations moving forward but it would seem and I could be wrong there is going to be a time when a lot of hard hard decisions are made?

It's hard to predict what any team might look like four years from now. Russell Wilson will almost certainly be the QB. Sherman, Thomas, Wagner, and hopefully Kam (if still playing at 30 years old) will still form the backbone of our defense. I can't say with any certainty whether Wright, Avril, and Bennett will see the last years of their deals.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/

But I do feel confident Carroll and Schneider will continue to draft well. At this point, we are in the most enviable position of any team in the league. Our soon-to-be franchise QB just turned 26 years old. The core of our defense is locked up for the next three years at a minimum. This is still one of the youngest teams in the league.

The real question for the future isn't personnel, it's how long Pete Carroll wants to coach. Does he want to coach into his 70s to ensure his HoF candidacy? Whenever he does decide to move on, he should leave us in a strong position to reload under a new coach.