US Mens Soccer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Damn good result at Azteca, amazing strike by Bradley.

Wasn't a big fan of the Arena hiring, but give the man credit he's at least rounded this group of players into a competitive squad.

I was hoping Morris would get subbed in, but after the 70th minute we were gassed and it was apparent that Arena was subbing and playing for the draw.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2iiv04nf said:
Damn good result at Azteca, amazing strike by Bradley.

Wasn't a big fan of the Arena hiring, but give the man credit he's at least rounded this group of players into a competitive squad.

I was hoping Morris would get subbed in, but after the 70th minute we were gassed and it was apparent that Arena was subbing and playing for the draw.

Very good result. And yes.. Arena has turned out to be a solid hire for the purpose at hand. Great tactical plan last night and really Mexico was quite soft outside a couple transitions.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Arena has named the squad for the upcoming WCQs. John Brooks and DeAndre Yedlin are both out with injuries.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That midfield and the outside backs make my heart hurt.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
They didn't play terribly. Just made two terrible plays. Awful passes out of the back and poor recovery. They created enough chances, should've had a penalty and were stonewalled by one of the worlds better keepers.

That said... not very dynamic despite the possession and again those two passes were rec mistakes. Team needed to show ambition but looked far too complacent

knownone

Reaction score
We will in all likelihood qualify but I don't feel overly confident about our chances in the WC even if we do. I hope we start to see some of the young developmental guys take off because as it stands, this is likely Dempsey, Howard, Bradley, and Johnsons last stand... and to be quite honest, outside of Pulisic, Woods, Brooks, and maybe Yedlin, we don't really have guys who've proven they can play at the international level consistently.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":ea9wyhh3 said:
A no political take on this. If this is what Arena thinks is the problem then he is a buffoon.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/sto ... ruce-arena

He was the wrong man for the job for a variety of reasons. He is uninspiring, archaic and simplistic in his approaches to the sport on the field and off it. He has no vision of soccer in this country beyond what you just read. If they can't muster a point tonight he should be replaced (he won't be).

Once they qualify, he should be replaced and allow the new manager a chance to prepare the team for the World Cup. It was my hope that was the intention all along. Still hoping.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3gv25f0g said:
He was the wrong man for the job for a variety of reasons. He is uninspiring, archaic and simplistic in his approaches to the sport on the field and off it. He has no vision of soccer in this country beyond what you just read. If they can't muster a point tonight he should be replaced (he won't be).

Once they qualify, he should be replaced and allow the new manager a chance to prepare the team for the World Cup. It was my hope that was the intention all along. Still hoping.

They need to find a Jurgen Klinsmann type coach who has some vision of the future with some of the players that are coming up. The future is very bright for Men's soccer, I was thinking a Fabio Capello type coach. I know he is older but he might be the type of coach that can give this team a new direction.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":2ct767r3 said:
Uncle Si":2ct767r3 said:

They need to find a Jurgen Klinsmann type coach who has some vision of the future with some of the players that are coming up. The future is very bright for Men's soccer, I was thinking a Fabio Capello type coach. I know he is older but he might be the type of coach that can give this team a new direction.

The direction they go with the new hire has to follow the direction they want to go with the development program as a whole. Klinsmann maybe pushed a little too hard in that. However, Arena has no concept of what needs to be done at the youth side

knownone

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1fpu943y said:
Tim Howard sucks.....there said it.
I blame Arena more than Howard. Who the heck starts an out of form GK in an important match, Howard has given up 10 goals in his last 4 games. This is the kind of stuff that drives me insane about Arena, he'd rather start a guy he trusts, than the obviously better player.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
knownone":245b6a0n said:
hawkfan68":245b6a0n said:
Tim Howard sucks.....there said it.
I blame Arena more than Howard. Who the heck starts an out of form GK in an important match, Howard has given up 10 goals in his last 4 games. This is the kind of stuff that drives me insane about Arena, he'd rather start a guy he trusts, than the obviously better player.

My bad...it was Guzan that was in the lineup not Howard. Guzan sucks as much as Howard, if not more. Can't believe those are the top two GKs on the team. Time to move on from both.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":r15kpahn said:
sdog1981":r15kpahn said:
Uncle Si":r15kpahn said:

The direction they go with the new hire has to follow the direction they want to go with the development program as a whole. Klinsmann maybe pushed a little too hard in that. However, Arena has no concept of what needs to be done at the youth side
If they do replace Arena after qualifying I still want David Wagner.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hell of a performance by the team last night. Pulisic continues to show why he's the best American player. Now if they can just figure out how to play this way consistently.

sdog1981

Reaction score
SeatownJay":33hiubck said:
Now if they can just figure out how to play this way consistently.

The million dollar question for this team.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Honduras and Costa Rica drew today so a draw by the US at Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday will see them qualify.