University of Washington Pro Day

warden

Reaction score
The thing about Penix, is ever time I watched him play with the Huskies, I could not help but marvel about how good the offensive line was. Playing behind the OL we have now would be a disaster

Maybe let Geno get beat up for the season, fix the line and put Penix in year two

toffee

Reaction score
The thing about Penix, is ever time I watched him play with the Huskies, I could not help but marvel about how good the offensive line was. Playing behind the OL we have now would be a disaster

Maybe let Geno get beat up for the season, fix the line and put Penix in year two
Did Penix made the OL look good? Or the OL made Penix looked good?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I'm not as excited about this QB class as some are, that includes Penix, but Penix has a big plus that seems to constantly get overlooked:

He does not get sacked. I bet he will face fewer 3rd and longs for that reason.

This is hugely underrated and one reason I think he makes the OL look better than it is (for a top-graded OL they struggled running the ball when they needed to except after the AZ game, and in the Oregon games.)

I still think that our OL got rated higher than it really was - just because of Penix having that elite sack avoidance to pressure rate.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Gotta go wonder how fast could he be without the injuries.
All you have to do is watch him with IU on You Tube prior to his injuries
there.
He was elite fast then and still has speed now.
I don't think people figure his long legs also help in covering ground
fast too.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Just saw that Cowherd is predicting we trade up to 12 with the Broncos for Penix. Why would the Broncos even consider that? The Bears at 9 seems logical though. Of course, I doubt they do that now, but you never know. Interesting to ponder. It would be so great to have a legit possible qbotf on the roster to sit for a bit.
It’s just the sports media trying to come up with stories for views/mouse clicks this is lying season I take everything with a grain of salt and just think of it as entertainment

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just saw that Cowherd is predicting we trade up to 12 with the Broncos for Penix. Why would the Broncos even consider that? The Bears at 9 seems logical though. Of course, I doubt they do that now, but you never know. Interesting to ponder. It would be so great to have a legit possible qbotf on the roster to sit for a bit.
The Broncos are taking Nix. Doubt they are looking to trade. We need a competent OL, and a dominant DL. So take the top DL on the board at 16

Chevy

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a QB not perform worse under pressure.

Penix has delivered quite a few strikes while standing in the pocket and taking a hit. That's promising enough.

I misspoke. He is not good throwing on the run when under pressure.

I do like Penix. I like him a lot more than Drake Maye. The thing I worry about if we were to draft Penix, is that JS would never use high draft capital on interior offensive lineman to protect Penix.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I misspoke. He is not good throwing on the run when under pressure.

I do like Penix. I like him a lot more than Drake Maye. The thing I worry about if we were to draft Penix, is that JS would never use high draft capital on interior offensive lineman to protect Penix.
What's your definition of a high draft capital? I would consider 1st and 2nd rounders to be high draft picks. James Carpenter, Justin Britt, and Ethan Pocic were all 1st or 2nd round picks for interior OL. They didn't pan out but to suggest that JS never would use high draft capital on IOL is factually incorrect in my opinion.

BASF

Reaction score
What's your definition of a high draft capital? I would consider 1st and 2nd rounders to be high draft picks. James Carpenter, Justin Britt, and Ethan Pocic were all 1st or 2nd round picks for interior OL. They didn't pan out but to suggest that JS never would use high draft capital on IOL is factually incorrect in my opinion.
Pocic worked out just fine as soon as he got away from the whirling dervish that made him look bad.

Chevy

Reaction score

I consider 1st and 2nd round as high draft capitol.

2 of the 3 players you mentioned were not drafted as interior lineman. Carpenter was drafted as a OT as was Britt. They both started a season or two at OT, but were bad. So the coaching staff moved them to the interior later. Pocic is the outlier and was drafted as a OC in the 2nd round.

Going off JS prior draft history and what he has recently said about offensive guards, then it is safe to assume he does not want to draft a interior lineman in the first two rounds. Which I don't agree with that philosophy, but that is JS past history.

BASF

Reaction score
Wasn't his comments regarding the contracts that guards have received this offseason? Very few people do not believe that the Panthers way overpaid for their guards.

Chevy

Reaction score
Wasn't his comments regarding the contracts that guards have received this offseason? Very few people do not believe that the Panthers way overpaid for their guards.

JS had also said OG gets overdrafted. Which aligns with his draft history, having never drafted a OG in the 1st or 2nd round.

I can't speak to the payment to the Panthers free agent OG signings. If you don't believe OG have much positional value, then yeah they probably overpaid. If you believe in building a legit offensive line with draft picks and proven vets, then Panthers used their money wisely. Especially considering they need to protect their young franchise QB in Bryce Young.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t see us grabbing a QB unless we trade back and one slips into the second round. Especially since signing Howell.

I’m guessing we’ll go BPA if we don’t trade back.

I’m using reverse psychology on myself here. I’d LOVE for us to grab Penix…after months of comparing QBs in this draft, I think he’s going to be the best of the lot. The injuries are a concern but…

I just don’t see us being in the position to grab one of the top 5.

Latest posts