Trading Baker Mayfield

QWERTY

Reaction score
Why doesn't the Seahawks just accept the trade for Baker.

We can sure use the Browns draft pick, and I think Seattle can eat up his 1 year salary.

For example

Browns give:

Baker
2nd round pick 2023, 4th round pick 2023.

Seattle gives:
6th round pick 2023.

sutz

Reaction score
Face Palm No GIF

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Before you say no. I would like to hear that reasoning.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Because Mayfield is not much if any better than Lock and also has an attitude issue. He would be a cancer here and in no way a long term plan so why bother.

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
I don’t wanna give up any kind of resources for a one year rental
he wouldn't get any resources. We would be getting more draft picks, and if he would want out, we can just release him.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Wait, is this a hypothetical trade, or do you have a source? Because this sounds like a deal that PC would absolutely take if true...

OP
OP
Q

QWERTY

Reaction score
Wait, is this a hypothetical trade, or do you have a source? Because this sounds like a deal that PC would absolutely take if true...
The Browns have traded Brock Osweiler before by giving up a high 2nd round pick and another draft pick just so that someone can eat his salary.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Brock was terrible Mayfield is not. The Browns seem to think someone will eventually cave and take on Mayfield's' salary. Pete just said they were not interested in trading for Mayfield. I get the feeling they are just waiting for him to be cut and then they will try to sign him

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The Browns are not ready to trade Mayfield except on their terms. Besides it has been widely reported they want a high pick and are NOT presently prepared to assume any of his guaranteed $18.5 mil salary for this year.

He’s expecting to get paid, and feels he’s worth a BIG contract. Who sensibly wants to assume an expensive one year deal with a player who becomes a UFA next season. Oh, and as well give Cleveland an early draft pick or whatever.

Seattle is out on that calculus and it is a huge mistake for anyone to think he’s worth it, or the trade is advantageous with those parameters.

This is why he hasn’t been traded. Idoubdt greatly Seattle is in on this at all.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
To me its more like two organizations seeing who will blink first. Browns came out and said they won't cut him. Pete says a day later they aren't interested in trading for him. Pete is all about competition. I highly doubt he stuck around to field a non competitive team. If Mayfield is cut I guarantee they will be in on trying to sign him.

Rat

Reaction score
The Browns have traded Brock Osweiler before by giving up a high 2nd round pick and another draft pick just so that someone can eat his salary.
They were the ones that got Osweiler. They used the pick on Nick "No Rashaad Penny" Chubb.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Before you say no. I would like to hear that reasoning.

Why give up anything when the Browns are eventually going to have to just cut Mayfield.

For the MAYBE 2-3 teams sorta interested in Baker, they're obviously just fine waiting it out because they know the Browns have to cut him to save the cap.

That's if we're even one of those 2-3 teams, which our FO hasn't given any indication they are. Nor should they. Wait it out, no reason to give up anything for Mayfield.

Boycie

Reaction score
Why give up anything when the Browns are eventually going to have to just cut Mayfield.

For the MAYBE 2-3 teams sorta interested in Baker, they're obviously just fine waiting it out because they know the Browns have to cut him to save the cap.

That's if we're even one of those 2-3 teams, which our FO hasn't given any indication they are. Nor should they. Wait it out, no reason to give up anything for Mayfield.
Is there cap savings if the Browns cut him though? I might be wrong, but I thought that there were not any cap savings if they cut him?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Is there cap savings if the Browns cut him though? I might be wrong, but I thought that there were not any cap savings if they cut him?

You are correct, I poorly worded my post. Mayfield's fully guaranteed his 18M salary this year.

Not sure what the Brown's thought how this was going to play out, but they grossly underestimated Baker's market. Every potential trade partner knows they're over the barrel and can't dictate what they're demanding for him.

But on the Brown's side, they're probably just fine waiting until the league hands out Watson's suspension before deciding what to do with Baker.

If I was Mayfield, I'd also wait until then, then refuse to show up to camp until I'm traded..........for no other reason then to spite the franchise that's letting me hang out to dry.

chrispy

Reaction score
I predict a trade will happen in pre-season where Browns will get a day 3 draft pick and eat 1/2 of his salary. The situation has gone so bad Browns'll relish sending Baker somewhere he doesn't want to go. The tough point is that usually in situations like this, that "somewhere" is Cleveland....

Natethegreat

Reaction score
You are correct, I poorly worded my post. Mayfield's fully guaranteed his 18M salary this year.

Not sure what the Brown's thought how this was going to play out, but they grossly underestimated Baker's market. Every potential trade partner knows they're over the barrel and can't dictate what they're demanding for him.

But on the Brown's side, they're probably just fine waiting until the league hands out Watson's suspension before deciding what to do with Baker.

If I was Mayfield, I'd also wait until then, then refuse to show up to camp until I'm traded..........for no other reason then to spite the franchise that's letting me hang out to dry.
There is no way that Mayfield would play for the Browns regardless if Watson is suspended or not. Which is why they signed Jacoby Brisset. They have the option of having Mayfiled on the roster and paying him to stay away from the organization I suppose. But Mayfield will not be filling in to cover for any suspension of the QB they brought in to replace him. Eventually the Browns will end up cutting him and every team knows this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There is no way that Mayfield would play for the Browns regardless if Watson is suspended or not. Which is why they signed Jacoby Brisset. They have the option of having Mayfiled on the roster and paying him to stay away from the organization I suppose. But Mayfield will not be filling in to cover for any suspension of the QB they brought in to replace him. Eventually the Browns will end up cutting him and every team knows this.

Then the Browns are going to have to accept a terrible trade with whatever teams are even close to entertaining still trading for Mayfield just to get his 19M off the books. Or even give up picks to get rid of his salary.