Top 10 QB's of the 80's on NFLN... Guess who's at #8?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Krieg is a drunk. Like Moffitt and I, he doesn't like people when he isn't pissing on things.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2jgfpijj said:
Krieg is a drunk. Like Moffitt and I, he doesn't like people when he isn't pissing on things.

Uh, we love you Leif, so you get one bizaare incomprehensible post every so often.

Krieg would be an all-timer if he didn't fumble so damn much.

Seafan

Reaction score
I spoke to him at Sea-Tac once, we were both running to our gates. He was friendly enough. That was 1985-86 IIRC. He was there to pick someone up and I was heading back to Texas at the end of my leave. He acted surprised that I recognised him but was cool enough to respond.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
18 Years, (11 of those with the Seahawks)38,147 yards, 271 TD's, and he's not in the HOF ? Are you freaking kidding me?
When he left the Seahawks, he was hired by the Chiefs, because they saw enough of him while in competition in the AFC WEST. and they thought that he might have enough left in the tank to get them over the top.
He was in good company back then, because they hired Joe Montana in hopes that they could win a SB one of those two high powered QB's.
Steve Largent, and Jerry Rice were absent in the Chiefs lineup, and as prolific as those two Quarterbacks were, they lacked the go to Receivers that they had come to depend on in their star studded Years.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

You know, with the "pull" we have around this place, we should be able to get Krieg on the ballot for this next year. For those among us who've had less-then-ideal brush ups with Dave, we can show him how much we appreciated him anyway by putting together an onslaught of awareness to the hall.

A great example of the power a dedicated fan base can unleash can be seen in how the group Rush was petitioned into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Jann Wenner and minions had no choice after legions of devoted fans produced films, bought new copies of past releases, and attended sold out shows in droves. With countless young musicians producing home Youtube videos of themselves playing their music, and nationally-syndicated talkshow hosts hosting them, Rush was brought to the forefront of music news. This all paid off when Rush went last and headlined the induction ceremony for 2013.

Now I'm not saying somebody needs to produce a full-length feature film detailing the life and career of David Krieg, but there has got to be something we can do. I mean, even if he was rude to me, I'd understand, because I would be frustrated too if my body of work was tainted by one or two bad stat lines. To put forth all that effort to eventually take snaps on an NFL playing field has got to be satisfying. To win games by throwing a butt-load of touchdown passes, and help win a playoff game in a hostile environment, and on national TV, is damn cool too. The guy made a lot of wins happen in dramatic fashion.

The Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor is awesome, but not quite enough for Mudbone. What do you think, Rock, use our powers for another good cause?

pehawk

Reaction score
Houstonhawk; its going to be a g'damn honor to drink you to shame.

HansGruber

Reaction score
It's strange to hear people say Krieg is not good to fans. My experience was quite the opposite. Haven't had the honor to meet many Seahawks of the 80's - but have met Chuck Knox, Steve Largent, Curt Warner and Dave Krieg. All of them were very polite and friendly, but I really only got a decent meeting with Dave Krieg. The others were like a hand-shake and "nice to meet you".

I was drinking with some colleagues at the Sports Bar in Fisher Plaza. Out of the blue, Dave Krieg walked in with his wife and sat right next to our group at the bar. I was the only one in the group who recognized him, and interrupted his conversation with his wife to tell him that he was my ONLY childhood hero. Told him that during schoolyard football games, while other kids fought over who would be Largent, I always wanted to be Krieg. I also told him I thought he was the one who made Largent great (which he laughed at). It should have been awkward because I was so stunned to see him that the words came out all jumbled and ill-formed, and way too rapid-fire, and I was being rude by butting into his conversation with his wife. But he and his wife just lit up with big smiles and were really friendly.

I tried to leave them alone at that point, but he chatted me up for about 15-30 minutes, which was unreal. When I asked him what it was like to play in the NFL and to play under Chuck Knox, he said it was a lot of fun, said he loved Seattle, told me a handful of anecdotes about his playing days (all unsolicited). He told me Easley was the most ferocious and intense player he ever saw in the NFL, and that he was a lot of fun in the locker room but his own teammates were scared of him on the practice field. Krieg said the safeties aren't supposed to touch the WRs in practice but Easley would just lay people out (including Largent), the guy was always on. He said Knox would get really pissed when Easley would hit Largent, and was always telling him to lay off a bit. LOL.

The whole time, his wife was sitting there with him, and I apologized to her for interrupting their time together. She was super cool, just smiled and said she loved the fans. They don't live in the Seattle area and she told me it was nice coming back and seeing how much he still means to the fans. And she wasn't being artificial-polite. She was actually laughing and looked genuinely happy to see Krieg talking about something he loved. She posed with us when I got our picture, and was asking me questions about my experience as a child fan in the Kingdome in the 80's. When I told her about the "bullshit" chants when the refs would call us for the noise interference, her and Krieg were laughing and he actually remembered that. And when I told Krieg that the Raiders game in 1985 was my birthday, that I'll never forget him just killing those fools 33-3, that it made my whole year - he laughed and told me the best part was hearing the Raiders players yelling at each other on the field, that the defensive players were just furious that the Seahawks were kicking their asses so badly.

Have you EVER had an athlete tell you stuff like that? The Real Rob Reports are awesome, but imagine if Mike Rob took the time to hang out with fans for 30 minutes sharing all those stories. I was probably the 100th fan that month that harassed Krieg. And yet here he was, yacking it up with another anonymous fan who meant nothing in the grand scheme of his life. That is pretty awesome if you ask me.

It was an experience I'll never forget. He even bought me a drink!

So maybe the people who had a bad experience just got him on an off day or something. I really don't know. But he was extremely gracious to me and my colleagues, giving out autographs, taking photos with people, and even laughing when one of my very-drunk buddies kept saying how hot his wife was and flirting with her. She was hilarious and joked that she only dated jocks. I mean, seriously. How do you get cooler than that?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":u04fq8mh said:
bestfightstory":u04fq8mh said:

Uh, we love you Leif, so you get one bizaare incomprehensible post every so often.

Krieg would be an all-timer if he didn't fumble so damn much.
Yep, it's too bad Krieg wasn't the beneficiary of the "Arm Going Forward Rule" eh?

grizbob

Reaction score
Still bummed I couldn't get down to Vegas last year during the Bears game to see Dave at Scooters.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
As much as I remember them always talking about DK's small hands as the reason he fumbled a lot, I've heard a lot of talk already about how unusually big RW's are.

(I'm sure for a few of you in here, that just gives you one more reason to love Russell. :hmmmm:)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Russell Wilson was born in '88, how is he not on this list?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

HansGruber":13wwguc7 said:
It's strange to hear people say Krieg is not good to fans. My experience was quite the opposite. Haven't had the honor to meet many Seahawks of the 80's - but have met Chuck Knox, Steve Largent, Curt Warner and Dave Krieg. All of them were very polite and friendly, but I really only got a decent meeting with Dave Krieg. The others were like a hand-shake and "nice to meet you".

I was drinking with some colleagues at the Sports Bar in Fisher Plaza. Out of the blue, Dave Krieg walked in with his wife and sat right next to our group at the bar. I was the only one in the group who recognized him, and interrupted his conversation with his wife to tell him that he was my ONLY childhood hero. Told him that during schoolyard football games, while other kids fought over who would be Largent, I always wanted to be Krieg. I also told him I thought he was the one who made Largent great (which he laughed at). It should have been awkward because I was so stunned to see him that the words came out all jumbled and ill-formed, and way too rapid-fire, and I was being rude by butting into his conversation with his wife. But he and his wife just lit up with big smiles and were really friendly.

I tried to leave them alone at that point, but he chatted me up for about 15-30 minutes, which was unreal. When I asked him what it was like to play in the NFL and to play under Chuck Knox, he said it was a lot of fun, said he loved Seattle, told me a handful of anecdotes about his playing days (all unsolicited). He told me Easley was the most ferocious and intense player he ever saw in the NFL, and that he was a lot of fun in the locker room but his own teammates were scared of him on the practice field. Krieg said the safeties aren't supposed to touch the WRs in practice but Easley would just lay people out (including Largent), the guy was always on. He said Knox would get really pissed when Easley would hit Largent, and was always telling him to lay off a bit. LOL.

The whole time, his wife was sitting there with him, and I apologized to her for interrupting their time together. She was super cool, just smiled and said she loved the fans. They don't live in the Seattle area and she told me it was nice coming back and seeing how much he still means to the fans. And she wasn't being artificial-polite. She was actually laughing and looked genuinely happy to see Krieg talking about something he loved. She posed with us when I got our picture, and was asking me questions about my experience as a child fan in the Kingdome in the 80's. When I told her about the "bullshit" chants when the refs would call us for the noise interference, her and Krieg were laughing and he actually remembered that. And when I told Krieg that the Raiders game in 1985 was my birthday, that I'll never forget him just killing those fools 33-3, that it made my whole year - he laughed and told me the best part was hearing the Raiders players yelling at each other on the field, that the defensive players were just furious that the Seahawks were kicking their asses so badly.

Have you EVER had an athlete tell you stuff like that? The Real Rob Reports are awesome, but imagine if Mike Rob took the time to hang out with fans for 30 minutes sharing all those stories. I was probably the 100th fan that month that harassed Krieg. And yet here he was, yacking it up with another anonymous fan who meant nothing in the grand scheme of his life. That is pretty awesome if you ask me.

It was an experience I'll never forget. He even bought me a drink!

So maybe the people who had a bad experience just got him on an off day or something. I really don't know. But he was extremely gracious to me and my colleagues, giving out autographs, taking photos with people, and even laughing when one of my very-drunk buddies kept saying how hot his wife was and flirting with her. She was hilarious and joked that she only dated jocks. I mean, seriously. How do you get cooler than that?

Winner!

2ndRowSista

Reaction score
Wow - greatest story ever Hans! Please dig up that picture & post it. I became a fan in the late 70's because of the fake punts/fake FG's although my hubby tells people I'm a fan because they had a cute QB. Of course I have to correct him by saying that came later :) I remember hearing announcers refer to Largent as "diminutive" and talk about Dave as coming from a college that no one has ever heard of - like they couldn't think of anything better to say??

Seahawkfaninvegas

Reaction score
grizbob":1gjbom5i said:
Still bummed I couldn't get down to Vegas last year during the Bears game to see Dave at Scooters.

We're bringing him back this year!!! He's already agreed to November 17th for the Vikings game, just got confirmation from him today! We're also going to get Chet Buchannan, (local celeb, some of you may remember him from KUBE 93 in Seattle) and the manager of Gold & Silver Pawn who is a Seahawks fan to come. We thought Ric was the fan, but he just sits at the manager's desk for airtime on Pawn Stars. (You may have seen the Seahawks cap and hardhat on the show).

Oh, and IMO he is a good guy, quite a character actually. Hee's a pic from last year's Bear's game:

4cf15ede 3758 43cc 8369 4fe8b26590c6 zps36a9950d

I await the mocking for the jersey, Dave did. lol!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":2carz6v2 said:
There was a love/hate relationship with Krieg. ............. To me, I just could never trust him to not pull some bonehead move that would leave me shaking my head. The epitome of Dave Krieg to me was the huge win in Miami only to fall apart against the Raiders in the AFC Championship game (after beating them twice during the regular season). He was either on a high or on a low point. ..................Loved his underdog story but just like the Seahawks of Knox's day, just could not get over the hump.......
This covers my feelings on the guy as well. Good post as usual James.

grizrgood

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":wteuyqbs said:
I remember watching all those contests in the '80s and I knew by the second series whether or not we had a chance to win a particular game. Hot and cold indeed. But when he was on, it was thing of beauty

So funny! Exactly how I remember it!!

hawker84

Reaction score
oldschlhwkfn":1r4hb68p said:
fenderbender123":1r4hb68p said:
I never met the guy myself so I can't really sure how valid these stories are, but I've heard from people who've met Krieg who said he is definitely NOT a nice guy. One guy told me he met him while fishing and when he introduced himself he responded nastily with something along the lines of having to meet another fan who probably has been telling all the latest "Dave Krieg jokes".

Maybe he was just having a bad day...

Krieg was a great QB, and I hate to rain on the parade here, but I've had the displeasure of meeting Mr. Krieg in Spokane
back in 96. He was part of the Kenny Easley golf tourney. Him and several players were staying at the hotel I was working at.
Found him to be arrogant, full of himself and rather demanding as in "drive me out to the Coeur d'alene resort immediately
because I missed the bus because I was hungover or I'll get you fired" kind of attitude. Maybe he was having a bad week.

that's interesting, because i met him in Spokane that same year, played pool with him and a couple other Hawks at the Pub... He was very cordial to me, even when we spanked them all 3 games.. must have a hot and cold personality..

Latest posts