Thursday Night Football is a big problem

Palmegranite

Reaction score
There seemed to be more injury timeouts than football plays. Both Colts and Broncos had lots of starters go down with injuries.
Last Thursday we were treated to the concussion show.

One place I could see this heading is a class action suit by the players.....there just aren't enough days between Sunday and Thursday for the players to recover, and perhaps mitigate some of the injuries.

And Amazon Prime payed a billion dollars to have their brand attached to this "product".

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
It would be unrealistic to suggest that both teams forfit every week but on the other hand, the injuries to players (with some season ending) may be worth the cost. I agree that a class action suit might be the way to go.

chrispy

Reaction score
This game would have been awful regardless of the day. I like an extra day of football every week. I also like the Prime simulcasts. I hope the League and NFLPA improve the concussion protocol, but Bolles leg didn't break because it was Thursday. I'd like to have a game on Friday and Saturday too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This narrative seems to pop up every year, that somehow TNF games are more dangerous due to lack of rest, resulting in more injuries.

But it's not true, there's been enough games now for people to study this claim.

https://www.realclearscience.com/qu...l_debate_does_it_result_in_more_injuries.html

I'd also contend that players need to stop complaining about it, because every time there's a new labor negotiation, the NFLPA sure as hell doesn't mind taking the extra bags of cash to keep playing TNF games.

m0ng0

Reaction score
This narrative seems to pop up every year, that somehow TNF games are more dangerous due to lack of rest, resulting in more injuries.

But it's not true, there's been enough games now for people to study this claim.

https://www.realclearscience.com/qu...l_debate_does_it_result_in_more_injuries.html

I'd also contend that players need to stop complaining about it, because every time there's a new labor negotiation, the NFLPA sure as hell doesn't mind taking the extra bags of cash to keep playing TNF games.
But if the players are complaining about it and in theory it seems an easy fix why not just do it?

OP
OP
Palmegranite

Palmegranite

Reaction score
That survey doesn't pass the smell test for me. Yes, there are atypical "freak" injuries that can happen in any game.

But they didn't consider long term effects of wear and tear injuries due to lack of recovery time; Sherman's point.

And case in point, Tua suffered two brain injuries within 4 days. All medical studies indicate this is going to have severe and long term consequences for his health.

One upcoming Seahawk game I have concerns about is on Dec 15th, short week vs the 49ers. Here's hoping the game is just horrible to watch, and not injury-ridden.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But if the players are complaining about it and in theory it seems an easy fix why not just do it?

What's the easy fix?

So extend the season even more weeks to add more bye weeks? Bye weeks don't even start until week 6, so add 5 more weeks to the schedule?

Doesn't seem easy to me.

Again, the players agreed to this for a LOT more of the advertising prime time money pie.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I heard the same argument 50 years ago when they started playing games on Mondays. Back in the early 70's, Sports Illustrated did an article arguing that players needed a full week to recover from a Monday night game, performed a rather silly demonstration showing a player bending over to touch their toes each day of the week and concluded that they needed a full 7 days to regain flexibility and overcome stiffness. Now, MNF and playing on a short week is accepted as standard operating procedure.

Unless and until they can come up with some type of medical evidence showing that players are more subject to injury when they play on 4 days rest, I don't see a problem with Thursday games. The Lions and Cowboys have been playing a game on a Thursday every year since 1966.

chrispy

Reaction score
I want football every night. I have a hard time recovering from some games too. I don't anticipate things changing anytime soon. I don't think there's much more to discuss....