This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Arizona Cardinals

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":s3ktfuei said:
Arizona, not a super great fanbase. It's the way it is.

One of the problems in AZ that a large % of the people who live here seem to be from somewhere else (in the U.S. or Mexico) and they aren't even remotely interested in cheering for the local team. I just believe it's proper etiquette you know? I'm from north fo Seattle, born in Anacortes actually (the ORIGINAL Seahawks!!!!) know a few 49er fans, a few Raiders fans, a few Chargers or Bronco's fans -- all of us translocated westies kinda root for the Cards when our teams aren't in the mix, but we are in the minority. Even people born here in Arizona pick out of state teams to cheer for - mostly east coast, it's a weird environment. Bizarro world. Not a lot of local pride.

What I see is predominantly Patriots, Bears, Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Saints fans -- and those fanbases aren't going to support any west coast based team, not a chance in hell. They are too -- well, you know. They are jerkoffs about anything out west that doesn't involve the LA Lakers or USC Trojans.

These days I see quite a few Seahawk jersey's, but just a few years ago I'd get a load of grief when I broke out the blues on Sunday. But even then, if you go anywhere here, you are 5x more likely to see a Bears or Cowboys jersey than you are to see a Cardinals jersey.
My experience in Arizona was that all the SoCal transplants are Raider fans, most of the rest are Cowboy fans(the Cowboys are huge with mexican natives of the northern part of Mexico) and most of the northern transplants are Bears, Packers, Giants, and Vikings fans. Arizona has a huge retirement population from the New York area, and a lot of midwesterners live there full and part time now.

The crowd at a Pack/Birds game will be almost half cheese. Same for Cowboys. When the Cards were in the NFC East, it was an extra home game for the Cowboys.

Also, the Bidwills are not well liked people in Phoenix particularly. They came to Arizona without any real stadium plan, rode the Sun Devil coat tails for a decade, them reverted to STL form and tried to extort a stadium from the city. The Glendale site was an alternative, originally the stadium was going near the airport. Cheap land and greedy developers won the day, so what Cardinals fans do exist now have to travel to the far western edge of the most sprawled out metro area in the United States. When that Stadium first began, it was surrounded by cotton fields. Middle. Of. Nowhere. It would have been as if the Seahawks built in Puyallup.

Add to that the Bidwills legendary stories of cheapness and it's no wonder the fanbase has remained relatively small.

ODS

Reaction score
The fan base has gotten better since Mike Bidwill took over,there were a lot of bad years at Sun Devil Stadium.As a Cards fan,I doubt we make the playoffs this year,but I think the improvement they've made coming off of last year is encouraging.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ODS":3247g6o6 said:
The fan base has gotten better since Mike Bidwill took over,there were a lot of bad years at Sun Devil Stadium.As a Cards fan,I doubt we make the playoffs this year,but I think the improvement they've made coming off of last year is encouraging.

There is no doubt they have improved since Mike took over.
I think Mike is the guy who is trying so hard to emulate the Steelers method of team building. For a few years now Glendale has been Pittsburgh south. But to be honest, until the Cardinals gain the patience to actually identify and develop quarterbacks on their own, they will be doomed to infrequent bouts of success. Getting Kurt and Palmer at the end of their careers is no way to build franchise stability.

Letting Graves go was a good start.

ODS

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ued0hux said:
ODS":1ued0hux said:

There is no doubt they have improved since Mike took over.
I think Mike is the guy who is trying so hard to emulate the Steelers method of team building. For a few years now Glendale has been Pittsburgh south. But to be honest, until the Cardinals gain the patience to actually identify and develop quarterbacks on their own, they will be doomed to infrequent bouts of success. Getting Kurt and Palmer at the end of their careers is no way to build franchise stability.

Letting Graves go was a good start.
I think it was more on Whiz and Graves to be honest.On the upside we did saddle PIT with Levi Brown..so maybe things are looking up. :th2thumbs:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The Suns are Arizona's first and only true pro sports love, which is why it's too bad that Robert Sarver is such an awful owner. Otherwise, I wager that most AZ natives care more about the Pussycats/Sun Devils than the Diamondbacks, 'Yotes, or Cardinals.

Z_Man, if you don't mind me asking, where in Tucson do you live? Not that it matters because the whole town sucks and I was glad to escape. Still, I'm curious!

ODS

Reaction score
Holy crap,you guys have some real misconceptions about AZ as a whole.I'm a native AZ guy,but I have family up in Warshington (All Seahawks fans btw) so we tend to have a good trash talking dust up each year when it comes to football.At any rate,I hope the Cards can at least keep it close on Sunday which will be a very tough task.Above all else I'm hoping for no injuries for either team.Should be a fun game either way fellas.

gulliver

Reaction score
So is it normal for "Enemy Fan Forums" to just be Seahawk fans talking to one another... or is that an Arizona Cardinals thing?

telerion

Reaction score
Tucson is a great. Spent a summer there with my then fiancée's family. They still have a house in Sabino Canyon. It's been years since I was last back there. Beautiful place.

Only been to Pheonix once (besides inside airport). All I remember was it was hot as H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks.

ODS

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":28zf0rvq said:
ODS":28zf0rvq said:
Holy crap,you guys have some real misconceptions about AZ as a whole.

As he tells me this, it's 7:00pm and police are making rounds and asking us not to open up our condo doors, and police helicopters are buzzing overhead looking for random deranged murderous fugitive, probably either on drugs or has some random Mexican cartel ties...

It happens at least twice per year since I've lived here...

Also, I've met one die hard Cardinal's fan in a decade, and he doesn't even come close to being anywhere near as fanatical as your average random hawk fans I grew up with. He doesn't even watch games when they are having a bad season!

But sorry for those misconceptions!

Smelly McUgly":28zf0rvq said:
Z_Man, if you don't mind me asking, where in Tucson do you live? Not that it matters because the whole town sucks and I was glad to escape. Still, I'm curious!

I live on the east side, near Broadway and Kolb (between two Starbucks!). I like it on this side of town, easier access to dining and shopping.

But dear god do I miss Seattle food, especiallyTeriyaki joints! They just don't have them down here outside of the craptastic version you get at Panda Express.
I guess it depends on where you live really.Tuscon is way to liberal for me,I can't recall the last time I was there.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
gulliver":1xwtk3s1 said:
So is it normal for "Enemy Fan Forums" to just be Seahawk fans talking to one another... or is that an Arizona Cardinals thing?
The links in the first post take you to enemy sites.

There is a Cardinal fan or two in this thread, but for the most part they are not too big on talking junk.

hawker84

Reaction score
Just when you think you've heard everything? I read this..?

I'm looking all over the net, trying to find that fascinating article on the Seahawks stadium and it's impressive "12th man". The read is a very good one, as it goes into detail on why their stadium is soooo loud. Their findings were that there was no cheating or re-amplifying of sound. The fans there are just that loud, and then they go into great deal one why the fans are so loud in Seattle. Apparently, most of the fans at the Seahawk games are girls, or guys that sound like girls when they yell loudly. The female has a higher octave, and the decible level goes up greatly when you have 15,000 chicks and guys that sound like chicks.....very impressive Seattle!!!!

congrats to our lady 12's!!!! Who'd a thunk..? :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
There is actually some truth to that. I had read before the first attempt at the world record that high-pitched noise created more db's than lower pitched sound. Whistling loudly was suggested to pump up the volume. I know some dudes that can whistle so loud that it makes me cringe when they do it... my dad was one of 'em. If there were a CLink full of people whistling like my dad, all at once, I wouldn't wanna be there! All glass in a quarter-mile radius would shatter!

ODS

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2j8xewx2 said:
gulliver":2j8xewx2 said:

There is a Cardinal fan or two in this thread, but for the most part they are not too big on talking junk.
Well,even if things were flip flopped and the Cards were the favorites,I wouldn't go on another teams board and talk trash.I really only logged on account of all the stuff being said about my state(which was really pointless in the first place)Anyway,I'm hoping for a good game..see you guys next season,best of luck in the post season. :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ODS":3hl7rbgr said:
Scottemojo":3hl7rbgr said:
gulliver":3hl7rbgr said:

Well,even if things were flip flopped and the Cards were the favorites,I wouldn't go on another teams board and talk trash.I really only logged on account of all the stuff being said about my state(which was really pointless in the first place)Anyway,I'm hoping for a good game..see you guys next season,best of luck in the post season. :th2thumbs:

I have spent most of last two decades in Arizona. Loved it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Smelly McUgly":3fys3tuq said:

I live on the east side, near Broadway and Kolb (between two Starbucks!). I like it on this side of town, easier access to dining and shopping.

But dear god do I miss Seattle food, especiallyTeriyaki joints! They just don't have them down here outside of the craptastic version you get at Panda Express.[/quote]

At least you live near a Pita Jungle. Man, I miss the hell out of Pita Jungle.

ODS":3fys3tuq said:
Holy crap,you guys have some real misconceptions about AZ as a whole.I'm a native AZ guy,but I have family up in Warshington (All Seahawks fans btw) so we tend to have a good trash talking dust up each year when it comes to football.At any rate,I hope the Cards can at least keep it close on Sunday which will be a very tough task.Above all else I'm hoping for no injuries for either team.Should be a fun game either way fellas.

Lived in Tucson and then Phoenix for a total of about 13 years combined. I find it to be a pretty terrible place in general with a few nice things mixed in. Mostly food. Wildflower Bread Co., Pita Jungle, Houston's, The Good Egg, Culinary Dropout, The Orange Table, Julio Too's...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Had to laugh at this post on the Tards forum. Aren't they cute?

We got 58 problems but last year aint one, if they think they scoring 30 I feel bad for Wilson. At least we won't have to worry about the helmet to helmet with Wilson and CC, considering Russell only comes up to CC's jockstrap. PEDe Carroll is a good coach, if you aint cheatin you aint tryin, aint that right Cheat Carroll? I gotta some holiday Carrolls I want to sing this year... we wish you a merry Fitzmas, we wish you a merry a merry Fitzmas, better hope we aint still here.... in the play offs, because after we stomp on that loud *** puke greeon, you'll be hoping the whiners get in. Another catchy Fitzmas orientated Carroll:

We will beat you stanky chickens, we will beat you stanky chickens. We will beat you stanky chickens, stick your crowd noise right here.

What do you call a seahawk heading into the play offs after a Cardinal victory?

Polaris

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too hard on the Cards fan. By any objective standard, the Cards are facing a BRUTAL final two games and are overwhelmingly likely to lose them both which is cruel considering that they've finally got a winning team.

As I read it, they are trying to convince themselves more than anyone else that, "Yes Virginia, we really do have a chance to beat Seattle in Seattle." I don't think they believe they do either except by a complete fluke, but as fans they need to believe otherwise. [And I remember some of the dark days in Seahawks fandom when my head knew that the hawks....say the '09 hawks for several games....had no chance but my heart wanted to believe otherwise.]

pmedic920

Reaction score
"nuff said"
u5adanuh.jpg

strohmin

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":3ssy57uw said:
Had to laugh at this post on the Tards forum. Aren't they cute?

We got 58 problems but last year aint one, if they think they scoring 30 I feel bad for Wilson. At least we won't have to worry about the helmet to helmet with Wilson and CC, considering Russell only comes up to CC's jockstrap. PEDe Carroll is a good coach, if you aint cheatin you aint tryin, aint that right Cheat Carroll? I gotta some holiday Carrolls I want to sing this year... we wish you a merry Fitzmas, we wish you a merry a merry Fitzmas, better hope we aint still here.... in the play offs, because after we stomp on that loud *** puke greeon, you'll be hoping the whiners get in. Another catchy Fitzmas orientated Carroll:

We will beat you stanky chickens, we will beat you stanky chickens. We will beat you stanky chickens, stick your crowd noise right here.

What do you call a seahawk heading into the play offs after a Cardinal victory?

Its one thing to predict that your team wins, but its comments like this that piss me off. I really hope Arizona feels this way because that kind of attitude is gonna get their face stomped right into the ground.

RedAlice

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2khgdcm6 said:
I would not call it a "terrible place" -- there is a lot about AZ to like, some real awesome spots, fantastic southwest and Mexican food, et. Did I mention the fantastic women? I'll just throw that in there again. Spring training is great because you can go see just about any team you like. Pretty cool.

But it has some serious problems, and I will leave it at that to avoid politics.

As far as anyone implying that I am not spot on that the Cardinals have a fanbase issue? Did you SEE and HEAR that Thursday night game? It's a subject that comes up every damn year in the newspapers down here, or ends up constantly being talked about on local sports radio. Pretending that "Arizona Fanbase Issues" are not a source of angst down here, is like saying Seattle isn't really bothered by the fact that the Ducks have built a juggernaut down in Eugene and have won 10 in a row. Blame it on the Bidwells, the amount of retirees, all the transplants, whatever you want -- the Cardinals just don't get the support an NFL Franchise should get from a fanbase. End of story.

Arizona women are great! haha. I was born in Phoenix and grew up in the Scottsdale / Tempe area. If you enjoy the atmosphere of baseball, so right - spring training is the best.

It was said by someone above, but in my experience the ONLY true Arizona-grown sports team that gets everyone's blood boiling is the SUNS. I'm still a diehard fan, no way to get that out of your system if you are raised there.

My football experience: The Cards moved to our state, but everyone was already passionate fans of other football teams. I learned about football rooting for the Rams, everyone I loved was a Rams fan. I had other Az friends who were crazy about the Raiders. Then there were the transplants (tons of them) - the Vike fan, or Bear fan, or Giants fan, or Niner fan, etc. Everyone moved here with their own football team already and we would all watch the games together on Sundays. I really can't remember anyone saying they were a Cards fan the whole time, ever.

Probably why I am so tolerant of other team's fans - it's how I grew up watching and learning about football. This is my team, that is your team, that is their team - let's watch the game! It's exciting.

This said, many of my cousins who still live in Az now LOVE the Cards. None of them are too serious about football, but they get a lot of happiness when they win based on my facebook and texts. But they also all have their "original" team or their "husband's" team that they root for as well.

So to the orginal point - I see no way that it is not a huge issue in Az about the fan base. I LOVE Az. I feel zero for the Cards, and barely even associate them with my hometown. Now, when they had Warner, I was in love with them. Short fling.