This sums up how popular the Seahawks are becoming...

Blueboy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":19k7a7wo said:
There are a LOT more Seahawks fans in the UK these days.

I definitely wasn't the only one watching from 1:30-6am this morning.

:229031_cheers:

Reaction score
Brithawk":3ojioj2c said:
Lieutenant Dan":3ojioj2c said:
Great post English. I'm fascinated by American football's rising popularity in the UK.

But one thing even more interesting is your devotion to it, which is awesome, but how do you get to see so MUCH NFL and college football over there? Does the UK offer some sort of satellite package we have here for NCAA and NFL football...maybe w/DVR so you can watch all those different games? Or do you accomplish your viewing mostly online?
I have a great online source showing all games in HD, love Redzone on a sunday. I normally pick up a college game as well each week.
We get the primetime games each week on Sky & Channel 4.

Thank you Brithawk :D

TwilightError

Reaction score
In Finland we can buy the NFL Gamepass, which is the greatest online service ever. We get all games live + we can watch all games later as well as many times we like. Also there is the NFL Network and red zone channel. Its not cheap but worth every penny. Your evening games are a bit rough for me, I have to wake up 3 AM. But I do it every time. No way I can wait until after work before seeing the game on tape.. The kids and wife are asleep and I try to contain myself not to yell at the television with my headphones on :)

I think the gamepass is not available in the UK or the States.

toadie_uk

Reaction score
On a side note, how awful is the Channel 4 coverage. Can't believe they went off-air before the game finished (obviously not a huge issue in this came but still...) surely programming isn't that strict at 6am?!

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
toadie_uk":2ez0do2l said:
On a side note, how awful is the Channel 4 coverage. Can't believe they went off-air before the game finished (obviously not a huge issue in this came but still...) surely programming isn't that strict at 6am?!

It was a joke. Borderline unprofessional.

Cut the game off before the end, then complained it wasn't close enough and that they hoped next week's late game wasn't quite such a comprehensive beat down.

At one point Mike Carlson yawned on air.

Spent much of the night talking about boxing or whether Carlson would rather be a stripper or a milkman (seriously).

And the best bit was Carlson in pre-game describing Pete Carroll as an 8-8 coach with too much 'rah rah' and that he was a huge fan of Harbaugh's.

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
My mum bought me a t shirt which had the old school helmet on it from British Home Stores (not sure what that equates to in the US). It was when (American) Football was huge in the late 80s and they had a load of Seahawks gear (and no other team). I would have been about 8 or 9. I loved the colours and thought the hawk looked cool. Was hooked ever since.

glasgow seahawks

Reaction score
I too am shattered after being up till the eraly hours for the game. I was off work thankfully but with a dughter to take to school I still only got a few hours sleep.

Few things

In the UK the sport is definitley growing. The hawks being a top team at this time will definitley help us garner more support. You do tend to find that a lot of UK fans are fans of the teams who have won things in the last 15-25 years, Niners, Packers, steelers, and the majority I find support the pats, this might also play into the fact I support Celtic, a team with strong links to ireland and a lot of the fellow fans who are into the NFL support the Boston based team. Other than that you will have pockets or groups of fans of teams, such as the hawks whos popularity is definitley growing in the UK

In terms of TV, we get 3 games on a sunday. Usually the 10AM and 1PM nationaly televised games (this week it was bears v vikes & The manning bowl) We then get the late Sunday game and MNF too. The late SNF & MNF games are 1.30am kickoffs for us so a lot of time I record and watch as live unless the hawks are involved. We also have gamepass, which is on NFL.com and a great service. Its £120 a year, and we get all the games online live in HD (except the games on TV as these are blacked out to increase viewership on the TV) We also as part of that package get NFL tv with total access, A footbal life, NFL AM etc etc. Its a great package for overseas NFL fans

English, I was tweeting with Carlson today about this as I too was raging. The excuse he gave (and kinda valid) was if they had not cut at that time then if the game lasted 2 more minutes they would have had to fill another 28 minutes of that slot. Now considering as you say they filled hours of it with total nonense and non NFL related talk, I can understand. He did assure me had the game been close they would never have cut it short.

cdallan

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2jiz6pf2 said:
I live in Sheffield, the fifth biggest city in England. Not a hot bed for American football. Certainly not a place you'll find any American's.

Today I went to the Shopping mall (in a Seahawks T-shirt). I bumped into another guy wearing a Hawks tee. And when making a purchase later on, a shop assistant came up to me and said, "Great win last night" and did a little fist-clench celebration.

A bandwagon is developing here.

I'm comfortable with that. Winning = new fans.

Rob I am not buying into Sheffield as the UK's hotbed of Hawks fans until I see either:-

Davie Weir trying to eat skittles without his false teeth in after every goal, or

A group of out-of-work miners wearing Hawks jerseys as part of a dance routine for a strip show they decide to put on for reasons that are never made entirely clear.

Hope the visit from the mother-in-law went ok.

toadie_uk

Reaction score
It's not just the early cut off that irked me, the whole thing just screams amateurism and a 'well we're all you've got so you'll have to watch us anyway' attitude

Largent80

Reaction score
My wife is an elementary school teacher substitute and yesterday she taught a Mandarin oriented class of 2nd graders. One of those kids had an elite Wilson jersey on !!!!!!!!!!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I've happened across occasional UK broadcasts online and I really like Neil Reynolds. He knows the game very well and has a thorough and concise way of explaining it.

As for Sheffield, aside from its basic geographic location, all I know I learned from "Spaced".

(After an all-nighter of speed-induced mayhem, this over the phone...)

Mike: Hello, Timmy.
Tim: Where are you?
Mike: Uh... Sheffield.
Tim: What are you doing in Sheffield?
Mike: I must have fallen asleep on the tube.
Tim: The tube doesn't go to Sheffield, Mike.
Mike: I know, I must have changed at King's Cross.
Tim: Alright, well don't fall asleep on the way back, alright?
Mike: (snoring...)
Tim: Mike?... Mike!?

That is all. The tube doesn't go there. Oh, and now I know one of our most ardent and articulate 12's lives there! :th2thumbs:

Props to all the UK 12s!!! :thirishdrinkers: :229031_cheers: :happydrunks:

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Notice how the amount of Seahawk fans tripled in NFL UK Fantasy football this year? I've just graduated uni (college to you lot) where some of my mates with a fleeting interest in the NFL followed the Packers/Patriots cause they'd heard of them before. I gathered them round for the Patriots Hawks game last year and they left converted, one of them even flew out for preseason.

Trouble is, now I look like a bandwaggoner in my Richard Sherman jersey.

Anyway, hopefully that wont last long. I'm looking for some internships/job over on the West Coast. Don't suppose anyone requires an advertising creative?

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":200zvqms said:
toadie_uk":200zvqms said:

It was a joke. Borderline unprofessional.

Cut the game off before the end, then complained it wasn't close enough and that they hoped next week's late game wasn't quite such a comprehensive beat down.

At one point Mike Carlson yawned on air.

Spent much of the night talking about boxing or whether Carlson would rather be a stripper or a milkman (seriously).

And the best bit was Carlson in pre-game describing Pete Carroll as an 8-8 coach with too much 'rah rah' and that he was a huge fan of Harbaugh's.

Well if that was the case last week, you may only get to see the first quarter of the Jags game! Hope you get to see more of it than that.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
More and more Hawk fans are being hatched by the day! I love it!

They better stick around though...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1z7ozyn3 said:
I live in Sheffield, the fifth biggest city in England. Not a hot bed for American football. Certainly not a place you'll find any American's.

Today I went to the Shopping mall (in a Seahawks T-shirt). I bumped into another guy wearing a Hawks tee. And when making a purchase later on, a shop assistant came up to me and said, "Great win last night" and did a little fist-clench celebration.

A bandwagon is developing here.

I'm comfortable with that. Winning = new fans.

Sheffield...home of the mighty Def Leppard!

Thanks for sharing, English.

Latest posts