The Russell Wilson Ankle Injury Thread (post updates here)

Seahawker86

Reaction score
CPHawk":2f2vx860 said:
uncle fester":2f2vx860 said:
Rapoport update.

‏@RapSheet
#Seahawks QB Russell Wilson shrugged it off, but I'm told his sprained ankle is significant. It puts his availability vs #Rams into question

Part of me says put Boykin in vs Rams, Rams don't get to have their usual fun going Hulk Smash on Wilson. May lose, but better long term.

He also reported earlier in the day, that Cushings (Texans LB) had a torn ACL and was done. Turned out to be wrong, it's a torn MCL and he's out for 4-6 weeks. He's not always right.

I hate hate hate Rapsheet. It should be illegal to be completely wrong as much as he is. If Wilson says he's going to LA then that's all I care about

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":o931e3rk said:
HoustonHawk82":o931e3rk said:
Seems to me the O-line penalties accumulated were no different than any other Seahawks game I watched in recent years. Hell, Okung would get whistled like 2 or three times a game for holds. The good news is Sowell didn't light anybody up for 15, at least, not that I saw. It could have been a LOT worse.....
Yeah at least Sowell didn't get a couple of false start penalties.

As a whole Seattle ranks 32nd at offensive line when looking at individual player rankings from last year in their pre-season grade. (PFF) That is not even considering the replacement of Ifedi who I'm sure at worst ranks above average. I'm aware that our ranking will likely be slightly better than last year which is good, but as of this moment the players that were in the game all ranked below average for lineman last year.

My guess is we will finish somewhere in the 20's this year and that could range from the low 20's to the high.

All this being said while the offensive line is still frustrating at times, I thought they played ok all things considering. Plus the last drive I didn't notice them at all which is good!

Not trying to hijack the thread, I was feeling like Blitzer in the chat yesterday. It's very concerning when you see your star QB go down and then struggle moving around. It's also concerning hearing the follow up reports. Hopefully just a few week thing at most.

I think Boykin had a good preseason if thats the appropriate word. I'd feel better with him starting than any veteran we pick up in free agency for the simple fact that he can move and escape the pocket. Just have him manage the game and I think we win in LA.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I find myself thinking that if Wilson can't be his normal mobile self, than I'd rather see anyone else out there this week vs. the Rams. He spends enough time on his back and running for his life when healthy against the rams. I'd much rather see Wilson miss a game or two and get back to where he can make the cuts needed to avoid those rushers and push off properly on that foot, than have him playing in this game and possibly hurt himself even worse than he is already.

If he can get the ankle to a level where he can make normal cuts and push off of it enough to get good zip on his passes, then I'd be happy to see him play, but with what I saw yesterday, and knowing that with that type of injury, it's often worse the next day, I am not holding my breath.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
We should take a page from Fisher's playbook and play dirty this week. Hammer Quinn and Donald early with chips to soften them up. If it costs us a 15 yarder, so be it.

Donn2390

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ojjr50u said:
Year of The Hawk":1ojjr50u said:
Fisher is good against us since he has played us so many times but if Boykin plays then the game plan would change significantly. This would definitely help us. If it would help us enough only time will tell. At least we have our run game and Graham back (sort of).

Boykin can't even get us in and out of plays -- which isn't a major knock on him. He's an UDFA rookie who played in an extreme spread, hurry up offense.

They have to bring in a veteran this week. Somebody who can at least organise the offense in the huddle and has experience reading a defense pre-snap.
Boykin would be a far better option than bringing in a guy off the street who doesn't even know the coach's name. You could bring in Arron Rogers or Peyton Manning and they couldn't be ready to play in Seahawk's offense by next Sunday..

RCATES

Reaction score
Stephen Cohen ‏@scohenPI 12m12 minutes ago
Carroll says MRI, X-rays are clear. “It’s nothing really serious."

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 13m13 minutes ago
Carroll says "he'll make it through'' indicating he won't miss any playing time. Does hint he may be limited in practice.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2sshbd5t said:
Sign Josh Freeman.

Really the only veteran FA that fits the style and has really proven NFL talent back with the Bucs.

:mrgreen:

lol. Have you seen Josh Freeman since his one fluke season? Forget the fact he has no experience in this offense.

For an immediate fill-in, it has to be T-Jack. If Russ is going to play but be hobbled, I'd prefer kicking the tires on a different vet backup. Freeman is truly awful. If you need more evidence of this, look at the fact he can't make a 53 man roster RIGHT NOW with soooo many teams needing a QB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wartooth":udb3ukqa said:
That last drive, when he took off running, he looked fine.

Ankle sprains are notoriously easier to deal with immediately after the sprain than they are a week later with no adrenaline, no constant movement on it, etc.

Forget the fact we are playing Jeff Fisher/Gregg Williams this week, a team known for its dirty play. Even if that ankle is ok to go Week 2, I'm worried it won't be ok to go Week 3 and beyond.

We need a vet QB. The Boykin thing is cute and fun until well.. your starter is hobbled.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Here's a good sign
On 710 ESPN Seattle, Pete Carroll says Russell Wilson has a sprained ankle. Indicates he'll play vs. Rams. "He'll make it through. How could you think otherwise?" Carroll said. Said that Wilson has a little bit of swelling but it's "nothing very serious." It will be hard for Wilson to practice this week, Carroll said.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would rather the abundance of caution and just hold Wilson out against the Rams.

We don't exactly get to chalk a W up against them with Wilson in anyway, and I am not sure the 50/50 WL chance is worth the chance of losing him for more games.

The more fully healed he is, the lower the chance of compensation injuries which are also a concern.

And if the Rams beat us in their house when we don't have our starting CB what does it prove? Very little save that our team isn't quite as complete without the QB as maybe the Pats are.

I don't see the Rams challenging for the division, so if we give up one against them it wouldn't be panic time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The goal should be #1 seed in the playoffs. If he can play he should play. RW at 50% gives us better chance to win then Boykin or anybody else available.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3g44tctj said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":3g44tctj said:
Sign Josh Freeman.

Really the only veteran FA that fits the style and has really proven NFL talent back with the Bucs.

:mrgreen:

lol. Have you seen Josh Freeman since his one fluke season? Forget the fact he has no experience in this offense.

For an immediate fill-in, it has to be T-Jack. If Russ is going to play but be hobbled, I'd prefer kicking the tires on a different vet backup. Freeman is truly awful. If you need more evidence of this, look at the fact he can't make a 53 man roster RIGHT NOW with soooo many teams needing a QB.
Completely agree about Freeman. Last time he played was year before last IIRC and it was fir Minny and was horrid.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except one thing, if you are diving at the ankles (which I don't put past the Rams to do all day), you are likely to miss and nail the knees.

While that is a penalty, if called, it is also very dangerous for career longevity of our QB. Shots at the knees are not worth it.

It is also worth remembering we lost to the Rams when they were starting their 3rd string QB from Oregon or something. If there is a team that comes close to owning us recently, that would be the Rams anyway.

It is not worth it, put the backup in and if we lose, well nobody predicted us going undefeated anyway.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Yea the Rams will def target Wilsons ankle. They are a dirty team. And their DC might not tell his players to target the head anymore. But I bet he will make sure the whole def knows what ankle and teach them how to roll when on the ground near wilsons ankle.

Man I can't stand the Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he'll be fine. A doctor's opinion (from what he saw on video) -- basically confirmed by Carroll's comments this morning:

MMMD 2: How bad is Russell Wilson’s injury?

Seahawks fans continue to worry about their star quarterback’s ankle injury. By video, it was a high ankle sprain type mechanism, but appeared to be mild. Wilson was able to finish the game.

High ankle sprains are the dreaded type that can have a player out for multiple weeks; however, like all injuries, there are different levels of severity. Wilson was seen in a boot after the game and that is commonly used to control swelling overnight. The fact that he was putting weight on it and out at a restaurant were good signs as well. A more severe high ankle sprain would have necessitated crutches and at home ice/elevation/ compression.

The worry is how much swelling there will be the next day and this will be the key. Expect Wilson to be limited in practice but I also expect/hope he will be ready for Week Two despite early reports to the contrary.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/stat ... 0174723076

Hawkpower

Reaction score
In the fight for HFA, in which it can and usually does come down to one game, I don't think Seattle can afford to just throw a game away to avoid some catastrophic result.

If he can play, he plays, simple as that. Unfortunately, they don't have the luxury of worrying about the dirtiness of the Rams. You have to go out and treat each game like its your season, because, it may end up to be just that.

HawkGA

Reaction score
What happened to the tweets from the reporter who said this was a serious injury? I don't remember what thread they were in or who the reporter was but boy is his credibility tanking (not just because of this but some other misses people mentioned). At one point does your correct versus incorrect reporting become enough to cost you your job?