The Rise & Fall of ESPN

Aircrew

Reaction score
As most of you know, That's Good Sports came to our attention during the 2022 Russell Wilson disaster in Denver. Ever since, I have been a fan of their content, even if he has questionable taste in football teams. Just watched this one and it's really good, a deep dive on what's going on there and why. Opened my eyes to it being much bigger than just going political, althogh that's a key part.

Mix

Reaction score
As most of you know, That's Good Sports came to our attention during the 2022 Russell Wilson disaster in Denver. Ever since, I have been a fan of their content, even if he has questionable taste in football teams. Just watched this one and it's really good, a deep dive on what's going on there and why. Opened my eyes to it being much bigger than just going political, althogh that's a key part.

You can tell when they started down hill by the commercials they put out. ESPN used to have the best commercials in television, because you loved the personalities. The on air talent made you love sports more than you should. Now they try and make you discuss things other than sports. It has become The View with highlights of sports thrown in.

knownone

Reaction score
Eh, I'm not putting this on Skip Bayless. ESPN's decline coincides with smartphone usage and high-speed internet. Their central selling point was always curated highlights. Once social media took control of that market, ESPN switched to more opinionated content because that was their only lucrative option.

morgulon1

Reaction score

Exactly. ESPN chose to be social justice
Advocates instead of just covering sports . They lost a very key demographic. I'll leave it at that .

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Exactly. ESPN chose to be social justice
Advocates instead of just covering sports . They lost a very key demographic. I'll leave it at that .
I would say they never wanted you..
And why should they or anyone “just” be one thing?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Let me answer your question Sir (not to assume your gender).

When a company chose to plant their flag on a polarizing subject like maybe a lesbian wnba player caught in Russia with drugs , calling her a hero and she diddonuffin wrong .

Anti conservative commentators who care more about THEIR politics than sports . Gay activism and blm (which has recently been proven a fraud of epic proportions .)

Maybe you should observe other companies like Budweiser,who just had to liquidate 8 of it's subsidiaries for the very smart move of using a clown transvestite to try and sell their awful beer to the average working American .
Lost billions in market value ,just like disney and espn.

So , I think they would rather "have me" or maybe they wouldn't have to be laying off all their employees. But I don't care.
I haven't watched espn in years . I don't have any desire to. It's my choice as a consumer.

How bout dat right der!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
To me it's simple..They had it set up perfect as can be and went ahead
started tinkering with it.
Once your trying to fix something that was fine you screw it all up.
I haven't watched ESPN in years..It's garbage

morgulon1

Reaction score
To me it's simple..They had it set up perfect as can be and went ahead
started tinkering with it.
Once your trying to fix something that was fine you screw it all up.
I haven't watched ESPN in years..It's garbage
That's all I was saying. Stick to sports.
These people that run these huge media companies can't all be this stupid.

Look at these legacy "news" companies, they're getting beat by YouTubers. People are sick of this crazy shit.

knownone

Reaction score
ESPN's business model was heavily dependent on cable bundling. The rise of streaming has destroyed that, not their politics.

GeekHawk

Reaction score

Well, "ESPN" actually stands for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network". That's pretty much 'just one thing'. Or maybe 'just two things' if you want to be one of 'those' people.

At least they haven't jumped the shark as hard as MTV "Music Television" which hasn't to my knowledge played a music video in decades...

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Why don’t you have follow your own directive and stick to one thing…unless bigot is your thing.

Athletes are human beings. Many have reached the 1% because of rare physical gifts and many have amazing stories of overcoming obstacles and hardships. ESPN has evolved from the sports are just for men club realizing the e world consists of more than men.

Your bigotry is on full display with statements like “diddonuffin”. If your willfully posting stuff like that I wonder what you say in private.

And you have no proof of any proportion on any “gay activism or BLM”…lulz

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I stopped watching them when they had that Obberman .. spelling? Couldn't stand to hear him.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Why don’t you have follow your own directive and stick to one thing…unless bigot is your thing.

Athletes are human beings. Many have reached the 1% because of rare physical gifts and many have amazing stories of overcoming obstacles and hardships. ESPN has evolved from the sports are just for men club realizing the e world consists of more than men.

Your bigotry is on full display with statements like “diddonuffin”. If your willfully posting stuff like that I wonder what you say in private.

I disagree with you so therefore I am a bigot ? Gotcha.

I stand by what I say and you'd probably need a safe space to pet a puppy if you knew how many people agree with me.
Look at their ratings !!!!

Sounds like espn is for you, that's cool .

Oh yeah . "Lulz"

morgulon1

Reaction score

There's plenty more if you have the time.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
They have news stories…check

Me saying it doesn’t make you a bigot… the stupid bigoted things you post do…

morgulon1

Reaction score
They have news stories…check

Me saying it doesn’t make you a bigot… the stupid bigoted things you post do…

I disagree with you but will stop short of cutting you down or calling you names.
You have a right to say whatever you feel compelled to. ESPN and their parent company Disney are learning a valuable lesson. Good luck and GO HAWKS!

Good Day Sir