The "Percy Harvin" effect. Hawk drop to #4 in several polls.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawk45":xekk6kh3 said:
Harvin had a big value as insurance for Rice. Without Harvin, we're counting on Rice to go injury free 2 years in a row. To me, that downgrades our chances of the WRs playing at the level they played at last year.

Not saying it's a killer for a team with this D and this run game, but I can see dropping a couple of spots for that reason.

Well if your going to base predictions or rankings off expected injuries or how teams compensate for said injuries, shouldn't you do the same for other teams? Those rankings assume that Justin Smith and Gore will not only be 100% healthy but 100% as productive as previous years. They are looking at guys like Lockette to step up and somehow that doesn't seem to be a problem? Reports on Jenkins are putrid again this year and now Culliver is out for the year when they were already wiling to sign DB's with PED suspensions and multiple DUI's including one that will like have a four game suspension this year if he even lands on a team.

I know what your saying but the argument doesn't hold water. It is way more reasonable to expect the Niners to struggle do to existing injuries, aging key players and losses of key players than to think Rice could go down and we will have no answer. Remember, Rice put on 20 pounds of muscle before last year that was designed to help him with the injury bug. I don't think he lost all that weight did he?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
mretrade":z912ccch said:
Williams is going to be ready week 1. Manningham probably by week 3 if not by week 1. Delanie Walker is the back up tight end. lol.

Really?

Wide receivers Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams were joined by linebacker Darius Fleming and running back Kendall Hunter on the list. Running back Marcus Lattimore, defensive tackles Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial and offensive tackle Luke Marquardt were placed on the non-football injury list.

You sound more optimistic than most but I suspect there might be a bit of homer in your prediction. Either way, even if you were correct do you expect them to come back full strength? What am I saying, of course you do.

Oh and your back up TE was your QB's #2 target, your H-back and played a huge role in your running game and protecting your QB. If Crabtree were healthy that might not be as big a deal but you guys are down your #1, #2, #4 and #5 pass catchers. How do you think that won't negatively impact your offense? I know you think you have the greatest QB and greatest coach to ever be affiliated with the game. God it's going to be fun watching you Niner fans melt as reality swipes through your season.

HawkWow

Reaction score
formido":3vy1ys27 said:

Excellent point...though also a popularity poll. I pointed out in another thread that if you look deeper into that Vegas line...it is clear their projection is Seattle vs. Denver, with Denver a slight favorite, in the SB.

Harvin was the joker and I looked forward to seeing some obscure formations and plays utilizing his special talents. But we are first and foremost a smash mouth football team and if Michael is as advertised (Lynch jr), defenses will be wishing Harvin was healthy. This year we let RW loose and I think that will translate to a lot of 2nd and shorts / 3rd and shorts. That will translate to worn out D-linemen watching time expire from the clock.

This is the team I always wanted and I think we are about to see football not seen since Al Gore invented the forward pass.

mretrade

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2u3lbjih said:
mretrade":2u3lbjih said:
Williams is going to be ready week 1. Manningham probably by week 3 if not by week 1. Delanie Walker is the back up tight end. lol.

Really?

Wide receivers Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams were joined by linebacker Darius Fleming and running back Kendall Hunter on the list. Running back Marcus Lattimore, defensive tackles Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial and offensive tackle Luke Marquardt were placed on the non-football injury list.

You sound more optimistic than most but I suspect there might be a bit of homer in your prediction. Either way, even if you were correct do you expect them to come back full strength? What am I saying, of course you do.

Oh and your back up TE was your QB's #2 target, your H-back and played a huge role in your running game and protecting your QB. If Crabtree were healthy that might not be as big a deal but you guys are down your #1, #2, #4 and #5 pass catchers. How do you think that won't negatively impact your offense? I know you think you have the greatest QB and greatest coach to ever be affiliated with the game. God it's going to be fun watching you Niner fans melt as reality swipes through your season.

Hey buddy, if your going to knock a team get your facts straight and stop spreading misinformation.

Kyle Williams has since been activated from PUP and has been practicing in full pads with no limitations.

Delanie Walker was somewhat important but wasn't too great last year. I see Vance McDonald doing fine replacing him. He was not number 2 in targets last year. He had 38 targets. Vernon Davis had 61. Crabtree had 128. Randy Moss had 51. Manningham had 57.

Our receivers are going to be better this year than they were in 2011 prior to Crabtree emerging as a top threat. Anquan Boldin had more receiving yards last year than any NFC West receiver not named Michael Crabtree. As long as we can stretch the field and utilize Vernon, Williams, and Jenkins, I think we will be fine. Manningham will play most of the year anyway so I really don't consider him a loss.

HawkWow

Reaction score
As a long time fan, I can't bring myself to knock anything Boldin. But he is the epitome of possession receiver and (now) makes his living strictly out-positioning and out-muscling DBs. He was a great complement to Kaep and will have continued success against a percentage of teams. The Hawks won't be in that percentile. We have multiple counters to his style of play.

If Boldin is a possession receiver, Manningham is a pedestrian receiver. He won't scare anyone and I will be surprised if he is on your roster this time next year. The same can likely be said for Boldin.

The two guys above will move the chains but more times cause frustration (by lack of separation) for Kaep. This will cause him to take chances he probably shouldn't take. What happens when young QBs try to force the game?

Unless Harbaugh is as dumb as a box of rocks, anticipate LeMichael James becoming a HUGE part of your offense this year. But he's small. Won't last. Go Hawks.

mretrade

Reaction score
He is a possession receiver and still very productive. He had more yards last year than any Seahawks receiver. I will gladly take him. I don't see you guys knocking Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, or Doug Baldwin. All who are put up far inferior numbers last year.

"He was a great complement to Kaep and will have continued success against a percentage of teams."

Uhh he has never played with Kaepernick before.

Manningham is a nice complementary receiver. He is much faster than Boldin (you called him pedestrian comparatively) but speed isn't his game. He runs good routes and is more of a finesse guy.

Not saying these guys will set the world on fire but our current crop of receivers are better than what we had in 2011 when we won the division over yours truly.

Crabtree is expected back late in the year but I am not banking on it. Crabtree/Boldin would be deadly.

themunn

Reaction score
mretrade":25is334x said:

who cares?

60niners

Reaction score
Thinking objectively; is it impossible to believe that outside of any bias some people out there might actually think there are better teams in the league than the Seahawks?

13thMan

Reaction score
60niners":294efuuu said:
Thinking objectively; is it impossible to believe that outside of any bias some people out there might actually think there are better teams in the league than the Seahawks?

Not all of us are coming at this wearing rose colored glasses so please, don't lump everybody in there... I actually said in another post that it would take 13 wins for the Hawks to win the division. Looking at schedules, situations, etc., I can easily see the 49ers winning 12 or 13 games and so, I am definitely tempering my enthusiasm/expectations. Plus, I do follow what's going on in the bay just because I take great interest in our division. Seems to me that while many outside of the Niners fan base believe that Crabtree's injury will cause a huge setback, I for one don't see it. It's not a popular opinion around here though, so... I digress. While I would like to believe that the Seahawks are next up to take this division, I am not so delusional that I actually would put money on it, if that makes any sense...

mretrade

Reaction score
themunn":24736sgw said:
mretrade":24736sgw said:

who cares?

The guy who initiated the 49ers discussion here, duh.

themunn

Reaction score
mretrade":vz4gi7iw said:
themunn":vz4gi7iw said:
mretrade":vz4gi7iw said:

who cares?

The guy who initiated the 49ers discussion here, duh.

He didn't initiate a discussion, he made a point that Seattle are being penalised for losing one measly player to injury while it appears to have been overlooked on San Francisco's side.

YOU initiated a "discussion". Nobody else here cares when your players get back from injury or how good your new drafted backup tight end is going to be or how well your crappy wide receivers are practicing. You want to peddle that nonsense then go back to your own board.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Who cares? How many preseason power ranking/odds favorites have won it all in the last decade? Pats in 04 maybe.

13thMan

Reaction score
Munn, don't get your panties in a bunch... The sole purpose of starting a thread is to DISCUSS. Sheeeesh, chill out dude. I swear the level of sensitivity on the part of some posters is just off the charts. Relax.

themunn

Reaction score
13thMan":3r81yie5 said:
Munn, don't get your panties in a bunch... The sole purpose of starting a thread is to DISCUSS. Sheeeesh, chill out dude. I swear the level of sensitivity on the part of some posters is just off the charts. Relax.

You've been here a week so I'll give you a pass.
This place has been a joke over the offseason, you can't have a single Seahawk discussion without a Niner fan coming in and adding their 2 cents regarding their team.

I don't give a shit about the Niners, we play them twice a year. This isn't a Niner forum and they can't seem to get their thick heads around that

This thread was started discussion the laughable assertion that Percy Harvin was so important to our team and we're "lost" without him (obviously 4th is hardly lost, but you get my point). What does that have to do with San Francisco? Like I said, if Niner fans want to discuss when their crappy players get back from injury and how beastly they're going to be, fine. Just don't do it on a Seahawks board

13thMan

Reaction score
Point taken... I wasn't aware that this forum was being overtaken. Personally, though, I do have a "care" about, not only the Niners, but the Rams and the Cardinals also... all three of those teams have a fair impact (potentially) on what THIS team achieves. Truth be told, I watch all of the division games every weekend, though I only cheer for one team. Hope this makes sense, but anyway, not trying to ruffle any feathers.