The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Mariners play the shortest season in all of professional sports. It's only a few weeks long and is usually over before May 1st.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No offense, but is there a more irrelevant team in MLB in the past decade than the Mariners? You can probably make a case that the M's may be one of the most irrelevant teams in the last decade in all of the major sports. Poor Felix, he should have up and left years ago. It will be a shame if he never gets a chance to pitch in a playoff game. He is wasting away his career in Seattle.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1o3k0fil said:
No offense, but is there a more irrelevant team in MLB in the past decade than the Mariners? You can probably make a case that the M's may be one of the most irrelevant teams in the last decade in all of the major sports. Poor Felix, he should have up and left years ago. It will be a shame if he never gets a chance to pitch in a playoff game. He is wasting away his career in Seattle.

At least the M's used to have the Clippers and Warriors as company, but that's no longer the case.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We are on the verge of getting swept at home by arguably the worst team in the AL. Why do people even show up and support this team?

I'm convinced we are the Cleveland Browns of baseball. Everyone is just laughing at us.

Edit: Seager gets a lead off double and then Cano strikes out. I'm an old school baseball guy, I personally would have had Robbie bunt Seager to third. But this is the new age of baseball when you rarely see a bunt, especially from your star players. It's just annoying, baseball just isn't played like it should be.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yea wtf was that? wheres the small ball i thought this team was going to start playing? The cruz pop out would have score Seager if we sacrificed bunted Seager to 3rd.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":xe2y2b6k said:
Hawk-Lock":xe2y2b6k said:
The A's might be the worst team in the AL

Nope.

Well when you get swept by the "worst" team in baseball, I think you steal their title. :x

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
0-16 with RISP in the series.
Oakland may not be the worst team in the AL but they ain't far off and swept the Ms at home.
Bullpen giving up leads and ties.

Yep, same old Mariners. Is it Hawks preseason yet?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's early yet geez!Felix had a great outing for those who thought he was done ect..Baseball is a long season relax..

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Browns fans talk about how they think they can make the playoffs prior to the season starting? I just want to know if we are the "Browns" of baseball.

And yes the season is early, but getting swept by a very weak team on your home opening series isn't promising.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Last year we were at .500 or better for one day (opening day). This year we had two days in the sun.

I guess that's progress? :|

kearly

Reaction score
Mariners' team BABIP (.300 is considered average luck for an average hitter):

2007: .313
2008: .294
2009: .293
2010: .282
2011: .283
2012: .276
2013: .279
2014: .290
2015: .292

2016: .236*

*not yet updated for today, it's likely lower after today's game.

For context, the Mariners offense in 2010 was one of the very worst offenses in the live-ball era (the past 80+ years). And even in that horrendous year, the Mariners hitters still managed a .282 BABIP.

Anything below .280 or so is just plain unlucky. The Mariners are no strangers to being unlucky on offense, but the first week of 2016 has been remarkably unlucky.

Seattle's .235 BABIP is unlucky by any standard, but it's flat out bizarre for a team with one of the highest walk rates and isolated slugging percentages in baseball. Seattle is giving good at bats and getting good results, but when they aren't hitting the ball out of the park or drawing walks, they are getting screwed by random chance. The difference between a .235 BABIP and a .300 BABIP is 12.3 additional base hits over Seattle's first five games, or roughly 2.5 base hits per game.

Couple this with Seattle's 0-3 record in 1 run games and it probably makes the Mariner's baseball's unluckiest team in the first week of the season.

The good news is that this kind of extreme bad luck will correct in larger sample sizes. Seattle's walk rate and isolated slugging percentage are excellent despite horrific BABIP luck.

hawker84

Reaction score
IndyHawk":hemorm2u said:
It's early yet geez!Felix had a great outing for those who thought he was done ect..Baseball is a long season relax..

I hear this same sentiment every season, relax, relax for what? Can they turn it around? sure, will they, probably not. hope I'm wrong. I've learned long ago with this organization, it's easier to be skeptical and be right, than hopefully and be wrong. Either way life goes on, and pre-season is right around the corner.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Two things concern me already that were problematic last year......the bullpen and hitting with runners in scoring position. So far, neither looks improved.

Tical21

Reaction score
Trade Felix, trade Cruz, trade Seager. You're probably stuck with Cano. We are the worst team in baseball. We are the oldest team in baseball. We have the worst offensive farm system in baseball. The next 7 years are gonna be rough. If we don't do something quickly, the next ten.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Can we offer OKC the Mariners, T-Birds and the Everett AquaSox just so we can get the Sonics back?

I don't know how to say this, but the Mariners are lame. If you were born in Seattle in the 90's you likely have no idea what winning baseball looks like.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Well tonight was my first game I watched.... Reminded me exactly why I stopped watching.... Horrible hitting with risp and awful bullpen. It's amazing small market teams like the royals and Astros have turned it around yet a team owned by Nintendo has been awful since 2002. Same product, different names for 14 years.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/30AcreFortress/status/719734659953725440[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/719755551320571904[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/719755181269778432[/tweet]

Hawker

Reaction score
I am ever the optimist, but god - nothing pretty about the 4 game skid this team is on. Against divisional opponents, no less.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Don't worry.

Don't they have dancing guys with rakes that can entertain people between innings?

That will keep people buying tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts