Surprise cut (post training camp)

getnasty

Reaction score
Corbin Smith is projecting BJ Finney to get cut and the Hawks to bring back Justin Britt. I think if they cut Finney they would have to eat 4.5 million so i'm not sure that happens but he's been a major dissapointment so far.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Good stuff from everyone!
I thought of Willson too. We have a long list on the TE roster. We don't need/can't use that many.
I think they picked up Finney because they value his versatility, and paid him for that. Pete has been adamant that Finney is coming along in good order. Pocic has had ample opportunity but has never been able to make it count. This is his best shot. NOW we have Britt back on the table...I can see a possibility of Pocic not making the grade of Britt shows sufficient recovery.
Did we ever cut Prosise? We certainly have replaced him.
Saturday cut day seems like a long time away...makes waiting for November seem like an eternity.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Good call.

Shaq surprised me, but I think they might be looking for a fresh reboot with versatile alpha dogs. Shaq was looking like a limited player on a team that likes versatility.

Thinking Iupati and BJ Finnley will be cut, just my gut feeling.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Okay, okay. Iupati is unlikely to get cut, but his injury history is concerning. BJ on the other hand has had trouble picking up the offense, more was expected for sure. I see Britt coming back either way.

Letsgo425

Reaction score
chris98251":6narxemu said:
Tusc2000":6narxemu said:
Add in Anthony Gordon, Seth Dawkins, Pita Taumoepenu

Not Surprises.

Anthony Gordon was a surprise cut for me, considering how they're publicly declaring now how they refuse to take a project back-up QB these last few years. They put McGough on the PS but he wanted to be on an active 53 man roster so he went to the Jags and now he's cut. Would he be better than Geno now considering Geno didn't really do anything during the regular season last year, that would be more beneficial than McGough having a whole season under his belt learning behind Wilson? I get that Wilson is an incredible QB but considering he has an Ironman sort of health record, even while injured he still demands to play...How long can we afford to just accept a veteran back-up QB instead of planning for the future and letting a QB who has potential learn behind Wilson in case of the worst with a MUCH MORE higher ceiling in the long-run than short-term?

I.E. No one can replace Wilson if he goes down for the season, so wouldn't it make more sense to have a fresh QB with a higher ceiling to be Wilson's understudy? Worst case scenario, he's thrown to the wolves because of lack of experience. Best case scenario, he has time to learn the system under Wilson, one of our best QB's and has the time to learn since Wilson has a legit health record?

Let me put it like this: How long does Geno have a legit shot on this team as a starting QB than a fresh QB out of college who has the upside to learn from one of the best QB's in the current NFL with some training under his belt?

At this point, (with the last 2 QB's chosen by the Hawks in the last 2-3 years) if I'm a college QB that's either drafted or UDFA by the Seahawks next year, I'm literally expecting to get cut and stashed on the PS no matter what.

It's frustrating for me personally because they're choosing short-term over long-term for back-up QB considering Wilson has a very impressive health record and even Geno couldn't save the season if Wilson went down, so they're just wasting away a roster spot at back-up QB for temporary results when at this point it's kind of obvious that we should do the opposite considering Wilson's health and the upside of a QB with a higher ceiling than Geno Smith.

I was ECSTATIC when the Seahawks nabbed Gordon for multiple reasons.

Gordon was fourth in the country in completion percentage while being tied for third in throwaways. Only one FBS quarterback received an “accurate” throw designation on a higher percentage of his pass attempts using our advanced quarterback charting than Joe Burrow did a season ago, and that quarterback was Gordon.
SOURCE: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl ... tion-at-qb

Gordon is a player who can win from different platforms throwing the ball. This allows him to complete passes despite the pass rush and coverage down the field. He can extend plays from the pocket, not a huge candidate to run the ball but will move around to allow his receivers to find soft spots in the scramble drill.
Sound familiar?

SOURCE: https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/03/ ... ng-report/

FFS, where will Geno be in 2-3 years as our back-up QB compared to a promising QB out of college that could be so much more impressive under Wilson as an understudy with one of the NFL's best QB's as a coach/mentor to groom them?

Own The West

Reaction score
tersal":2x36n414 said:
Sports Hernia":2x36n414 said:
xray":2x36n414 said:
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t be sad about that.
Flowers can also play safety nice versatility. He sticks.

Dunbar will likely be facing a suspension at some point. Also, we were down 6 DBs by SB49. We’re not going to cut him if he’s one of our top guys.

chris98251

Reaction score
Letsgo425":1e1r49cm said:
chris98251":1e1r49cm said:
Tusc2000":1e1r49cm said:

Not Surprises.

Anthony Gordon was a surprise cut for me, considering how they're publicly declaring now how they refuse to take a project back-up QB these last few years. They put McGough on the PS but he wanted to be on an active 53 man roster so he went to the Jags and now he's cut. Would he be better than Geno now considering Geno didn't really do anything during the regular season last year, that would be more beneficial than McGough having a whole season under his belt learning behind Wilson? I get that Wilson is an incredible QB but considering he has an Ironman sort of health record, even while injured he still demands to play...How long can we afford to just accept a veteran back-up QB instead of planning for the future and letting a QB who has potential learn behind Wilson in case of the worst with a MUCH MORE higher ceiling in the long-run than short-term?

I.E. No one can replace Wilson if he goes down for the season, so wouldn't it make more sense to have a fresh QB with a higher ceiling to be Wilson's understudy? Worst case scenario, he's thrown to the wolves because of lack of experience. Best case scenario, he has time to learn the system under Wilson, one of our best QB's and has the time to learn since Wilson has a legit health record?

Let me put it like this: How long does Geno have a legit shot on this team as a starting QB than a fresh QB out of college who has the upside to learn from one of the best QB's in the current NFL with some training under his belt?

At this point, (with the last 2 QB's chosen by the Hawks in the last 2-3 years) if I'm a college QB that's either drafted or UDFA by the Seahawks next year, I'm literally expecting to get cut and stashed on the PS no matter what.

It's frustrating for me personally because they're choosing short-term over long-term for back-up QB considering Wilson has a very impressive health record and even Geno couldn't save the season if Wilson went down, so they're just wasting away a roster spot at back-up QB for temporary results when at this point it's kind of obvious that we should do the opposite considering Wilson's health and the upside of a QB with a higher ceiling than Geno Smith.

Gordon was fourth in the country in completion percentage while being tied for third in throwaways. Only one FBS quarterback received an “accurate” throw designation on a higher percentage of his pass attempts using our advanced quarterback charting than Joe Burrow did a season ago, and that quarterback was Gordon.

Gordon is a player who can win from different platforms throwing the ball. This allows him to complete passes despite the pass rush and coverage down the field. He can extend plays from the pocket, not a huge candidate to run the ball but will move around to allow his receivers to find soft spots in the scramble drill.
Sound familiar?

FFS, where will Geno be in 2-3 years as our back-up QB compared to a promising QB out of college that could be so much more impressive under Wilson as an understudy with one of the NFL's best QB's as a coach/mentor to groom them?

He is a Rookie, and third in depth at best, he will be on the PS along with the Former Patriot QB possibly.

Letsgo425

Reaction score
chris98251":3w2y1li3 said:
Letsgo425":3w2y1li3 said:
chris98251":3w2y1li3 said:
Tusc2000":3w2y1li3 said:

Not Surprises.

Sound familiar?

He is a Rookie, and third in depth at best, he will be on the PS along with the Former Patriot QB possibly.

I get he's a rookie, but he has a high ceiling compared to Geno and Etling, just give him a chance is all I'm saying. If Russ goes down this year, do you think Geno will lead us to the playoffs? Nah? Then why stunt Gordon's growth?

chris98251

Reaction score
Letsgo425":2hwwxcdb said:
chris98251":2hwwxcdb said:
Letsgo425":2hwwxcdb said:
chris98251":2hwwxcdb said:
Not Surprises.

Sound familiar?

I get he's a rookie, but he has a high ceiling compared to Geno and Etling, just give him a chance is all I'm saying. If Russ goes down this year, do you think Geno will lead us to the playoffs? Nah? Then why stunt Gordon's growth?

I can understand your fan support for a guy, but the league obviously doesn't have your same opinion or he would have been drafted very high. No pre season games for him to show case against higher level competition, he remains a prospect and stays that way until Film is presented against competition or he pulls a Gardner impersonation

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":3gv9xx1p said:
Letsgo425":3gv9xx1p said:
chris98251":3gv9xx1p said:
Letsgo425":3gv9xx1p said:
-snip-

I can understand your fan support for a guy, but the league obviously doesn't have your same opinion or he would have been drafted very high. No pre season games for him to show case against higher level competition, he remains a prospect and stays that way until Film is presented against competition or he pulls a Gardner impersonation

Anthony Gordon is no Gardner Minshew. At least not yet.
As a Coug fan, Mike Leach fan, I loved watching them both and their amazing college seasons.
Minshew would almost always make the key stay-2-scores-ahead plays with urgency, to bail out the horribly crappy Coug defense against tough opponents. Gordon was about 50-50. Minshew had that extra "it" factor, when the chips were down, despite Gordon's nice stats. Love them both, but Minshew was truly something special.

I love Gordon's game, and agree on his upside, but I suspect it's going to take at least a couple years of development for him to be near the NFL readiness that Minshew already had. I also hope like hell the Hawks keep him, on the practice squad, and next year gets a legit shot at the roster as a backup. I believe prospects like Gordon are viewed as a dime a dozen by NFL teams. Alex McGough, to me, has a lot in common with Gordon, and I can't say which is a better bet, though I'd go with Gordon for intangibles, and McGough couldn't beat out Gardner Minshew either. I think Gordon's upside could be Dave Krieg with bigger hands, fewer fumbles, and a stronger arm.

olyfan63

Reaction score
seabowl":2spjs1ah said:
Shaqeem Griffen.
Yup, nailed it! You were ready to toot in case nobody noticed, but good call.
I've PM'ed you for some help with my stock picks ;-)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2iytztf0 said:
Good stuff from everyone!
I thought of Willson too. We have a long list on the TE roster. We don't need/can't use that many.
I think they picked up Finney because they value his versatility, and paid him for that. Pete has been adamant that Finney is coming along in good order. Pocic has had ample opportunity but has never been able to make it count. This is his best shot. NOW we have Britt back on the table...I can see a possibility of Pocic not making the grade of Britt shows sufficient recovery.
Did we ever cut Prosise? We certainly have replaced him.
Saturday cut day seems like a long time away...makes waiting for November seem like an eternity.
Looks like the Texans signed Prosise to their practice squad. Detroit worked him out too.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Own The West":3nswodqh said:
tersal":3nswodqh said:
Sports Hernia":3nswodqh said:
xray":3nswodqh said:
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t be sad about that.
Flowers can also play safety nice versatility. He sticks.

Dunbar will likely be facing a suspension at some point. Also, we were down 6 DBs by SB49. We’re not going to cut him if he’s one of our top guys.

I never did the math, but we were down 6 DBs by SB49? WOW. Can you list/name them? Pete inexplicably failed to have Marcus Burley active, healthy scratch, so I don't know if he should count. We lost Jeremy Lane during the game, and Tharald Simon was crap and injured as well. Who were the other guys?

Did you do the math for SBXL also? I think we were in worse shape for XL. For XL we were down 2 safeties, Hamlin, and then Marquand Manuel, and left with man-off-the-street Etric Pruitt.

But, to your point, Flowers stuck, absolutely. And Pete, as a defense-oriented, and especially DB oriented coach (Pete was a safety in his college playing career) and for sure he will keep every DB he can who is "Above Practice Squad Replacement Level", which Flowers clearly is. It's been awesome as a fan the way Pete has upgraded the franchise's secondary play, after all those lost, dark years.