Surprise cut (post training camp)

tersal

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2w8baek0 said:
Each season there is a player who seems to be a shoo in to make the final roster cut. Any predictions for this year? I'm leaning toward Jacob Hollister (especially if Dissly continues to improve healthwise). No reason to pay $3.2M to a 3rd TE (behind Dissly and Olsen).

Also, Travis Homer and David Moore could be on the chopping block too.
I think Homer showed something in a very small sample size he stays. If Gordon or Brown comes in Moore may have difficulty sticking.

tersal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1axvclcz said:
xray":1axvclcz said:
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t be sad about that.
Flowers can also play safety nice versatility. He sticks.

Jville

Reaction score
tersal":31iq2rj8 said:
Sports Hernia":31iq2rj8 said:
xray":31iq2rj8 said:
With Dunbar cleared of charges. I think that Tre Flowers goes away one way the other .
I know I’m in the minority but I wouldn’t be sad about that.
Flowers can also play safety nice versatility. He sticks.
I keep thinking of the early years of CB Dave Brown who was a long right side corner back that could play safety and who the Pittsburgh Steelers chose to expose and lost to the Seahawks during the expansion draft ................. after a couple of years of fan uncertainty, worked out very ..... very ...... well for the Seahawks back in the day.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Tre Flowers is going to make the roster and is going to play a lot of safety/linebacker/joker/bandit/falcon position. He can tackle and force fumbles and that alone will keep a player on the coverage units.

My heart breaking, This is the spread NFL of 2020 cut? KJ Wright

Shocking cut: Will Dissley wavied with an injury designation.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Rat":20ph03q6 said:
nanomoz":20ph03q6 said:
Surprise cut? Phillip Dorsett. He couldn't emerge on the Patriots wide receiver depth chart last year, which is one of the worst in recent memory.

You probably would have seen more of him if you were watching the team he played for.

Care to make a wager? $50 donation to .NET?

springscohawk

Reaction score
I think KJ Wright plays this year and coaches up younger linebackers as player/coach. Then next year he is hired on to be LB coach for Seattle Seahawks.

People who I don't think make the team: Lano Hill, Mike Iupati

Explanation: I think Phil Haynes and Jordan Simmons along with Jamarco Jones make Mike Iupati unnecessary. Iupati gets nicked up and they cut him with injury designation.

for Lano Hill insert Chris Miller or cover his spot with Blair and Flowers

Elemas

Reaction score
Olsen....if they hadn't guaranteed 5.5 of the $7M.

SMDH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He still has plenty left in the tank. Looking forward to seeing Olsen play.

As far as a surprise cut, I gotta' go with BBK. Maybe not a huge surprise, but he may be the odd man out.

Elemas

Reaction score
I hope your right Soulfish. He was a beast in Carolina but, the production dipped (for obvious reasons).

I understand needing to beef up the position. Just hoping Uncle Will stays healthy as that, imo, is the best production/option we could have.

Olsen's signing bothered me solely due to cap considerations.

Boiler

Reaction score
Erebus":3259g3mf said:
If we think someone is going to get cut, and then does, is it still a surprise?

And a related philosophical question, if someone gets cut, but there are no fans around to see it, did it really happen?

Boiler

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there will be no truly surprise cuts this year, meaning no starters or significant contributors from last year who are still on the team today. That's probably just due to a lack of knowledge about surprise achievers amongst the newcomers, though.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'd think this is not a favorite time to be on the coaching staff.
Seems to me the most likely cuts come among tryouts players who got added prior to the latest signees. Makes sense to me you don't cut someone you just signed without even giving them a chance to show their stuff. After that it's hard to tell because the way camp was so cloaked we had no opportunity to actually see who was making the most progress and showing the most potential and who wasn't.
Tough call.

Osprey

Reaction score
With the expanded roster via the practice squad it’s less likely.

If I had to pick one it’d be on the OL. Lots of unknowns and bodies thrown at it this year.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'm expecting Luke Willson, Nick Bellore and Neiko Thorpe to all be released tomorrow, to avoid having their vested veteran contracts fully guaranteed for the season by being on the Week One roster. I could then easily see any combination of them re-signed on or after Week 2. Paul Richardson falls into this category as well.

I also expect Stephen Sullivan to survive the initial cut-down tomorrow, and then to be placed in I.R. on Sunday which would allow him to return later this season if need be. He's way, way down the pecking order at TE, with his current hip injury only exacerbating his situation. This would be the savvy and risk-free method to stash him for now.

The wildcard is Jacob Hollister. If he's not traded, will the Seahawks just keep him as is, or waive him knowing that his $3.26M contract may or may not pass through waivers, with the hope off re-signing him at a lower number (esp. if Jadeveon Clowney re-signs and consumes the bulk of the Hawks' available cap space)? Obviously they could try to negotiate a pay cut with Hollister to avoid all of that in the first place, but Hollister would have to be amenable to that - which he may not be if he likes his chances of being claimed and keeping his current contract. We'll see.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Boiler":2wls5vxr said:
In all seriousness, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there will be no truly surprise cuts this year, meaning no starters or significant contributors from last year who are still on the team today. That's probably just due to a lack of knowledge about surprise achievers amongst the newcomers, though.

We also don't have the preseason darling that people ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BELIEVE THEY CUT WILL BE A SUPERSTAR ON ANOTHER TEAM then they aren't. Definitely some overhyped players from fans watching preseason games.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
bmorepunk":32kw0rqy said:
Boiler":32kw0rqy said:

We also don't have the preseason darling that people ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BELIEVE THEY CUT WILL BE A SUPERSTAR ON ANOTHER TEAM then they aren't. Definitely some overhyped players from fans watching preseason games.

I think you guys are spot on.

The only scenario that popped into my head is possibly KJ to clear more salary for Clowney and Brookes ready for his job.

I don' see it, but it's logical.

olyfan63

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2y9o4axc said:
I'm expecting Luke Willson, Nick Bellore and Neiko Thorpe to all be released tomorrow, to avoid having their vested veteran contracts fully guaranteed for the season by being on the Week One roster. I could then easily see any combination of them re-signed on or after Week 2. Paul Richardson falls into this category as well.

I also expect Stephen Sullivan to survive the initial cut-down tomorrow, and then to be placed in I.R. on Sunday which would allow him to return later this season if need be. He's way, way down the pecking order at TE, with his current hip injury only exacerbating his situation. This would be the savvy and risk-free method to stash him for now.

The wildcard is Jacob Hollister. If he's not traded, will the Seahawks just keep him as is, or waive him knowing that his $3.26M contract may or may not pass through waivers, with the hope off re-signing him at a lower number (esp. if Jadeveon Clowney re-signs and consumes the bulk of the Hawks' available cap space)? Obviously they could try to negotiate a pay cut with Hollister to avoid all of that in the first place, but Hollister would have to be amenable to that - which he may not be if he likes his chances of being claimed and keeping his current contract. We'll see.

Good post, thanks for the details, even if none of it turns out like that, it gives us something to work with. Yes, it's been a stealth training camp and "preseason".

I could see Luke Willson being released and then later resigned, and certainly Bellore, but unsure about Thorpe; he's been so amazing on Special Teams at times, and Pete highly values special teams.

I think they keep PRich with no funny business if he's show the tank has something left in it. He and Russell had a chemistry his last year here.

Maybe Ethan Pocic, but I think they keep him, as a versatile backup.

Hollister earned that contract last year, but I could see the Hawks risking it for a lower cap number to try to get Clowney back. The Hawks organization tries to do right by players and they've paid players for what they did "last year" (underpaid) and honored that commitment and contract. The only example that comes to mind right away would be Jermaine Kearse. I felt like the Hawks rewarded him with a nice contract the next couple years, for what he did in 2013 and 2014, rewarded him well beyond his NFL-wide market value, as a thank you for his key plays in big moments. Of course, Hollister didn't make a catch that sent the Hawks to the Super Bowl, or make a miracle catch that should have won the subsequent Super Bowl, and Kearse did, so there's that.

So which 40Oz-er is preferred in North Dallas? Does venerable Mad Dog come in 40 oz sizes, or just Steel-whatever Reserve?

Latest posts