Super Bowl Or Bust?

A Successful Seahawks Season To Me Is...

• Winning the division.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Winning at least one playoff game.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Winning at least the divisional playoff game.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Winning at least the NFCCG.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Winning the Super Bowl.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other (Read my comments below)...

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was thinking about this watching the Chiefs / Browns game today. We all would have loved it if we were playing this weekend. I was thinking about how most 12's at this stage think anything short of a Super Bowl is a bust of a season. I used to think so too but the more I deep dive into it, I now personally think simply getting past the divisional round should be considered a success.

We haven't been able to advance past the divisional round since 2014. Six years!

2015 Lost the divisional round to the Panthers 24-31
2016 Lost the divisional round to the Falcons 20-36
2018 Lost the wild card round to the Cowboys 22-24
2019 Lost the divisional round to the Packers 23-28
2020 Lost the wild card round to the Rams 20-30

So for me, 2021 will be a successful season if we can get past the divisional round, period. That shows me progress. Yes we are spoiled, we've come to expect the post season every year these days. But it's not good enough, with this talent, to just get in. And I also no longer think it's a failure if we don't make it to or win the Super Bowl. Of course we all want to win the Super Bowl but to define a successful season to me means progress.

And the only thing right now I see as progress is at the very least making it to the NFC Championship game and then see where the chips fall from there.

What do you think?

Aw Mang

Reaction score
If we had played well and lost, it’s one thing. It’s just that the offense/Russ played so badly against a four-fingered Goff/Rams after we won the division is what chafed me in the ass. My opinion anyway.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
A successful season to me is a chance to go to the Super Bowl. There’s only 1 way to have that chance and that is to play in the nfccg which means you must win the divisional. So, in short, winning the divisional is a successful season.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think getting that #1 seed is ESSENTIAL for the Seahawks. It's one home game to win to make it to the NFCCG which would again, be at home. And moving forward that would mean in front of 70,000 rabid fans.

It's incredible the difference that one seed makes.

kidhawk

Reaction score
My brain tells me that just making it to the NFC Championship game would be a successful season, but my heart tells me that after any loss, I won't be satisfied; at least not in the short term after the loss. To be considered a successful season in my heart would mean a Super Bowl victory, but once a season is in the books and we are ramping up for a new season (around draft time), I start looking back a little different than I may have looked at things in the now.

All of this though, is a far cry from how I measured success in the 80s and 90s. For that I am ever grateful.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
NFCCG or bust. Is where I'm at with the talent on the field. BTW I'm saying win divisional to get to NFCCG. If they lose NFCCG I'm okay with that it'll be disappointing but that's the equivelant of march madness final four, that's the best four teams and it's anyone's ball game at that point.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
kidhawk":1femcblt said:
All of this though, is a far cry from how I measured success in the 80s and 90s. For that I am ever grateful.

Boy isn't that so true. Back then a 9-7 season would have been "WOW!" My how things have changed. :lol: