Summer talk : Who advocated in drafting Russell Wilson?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Perhaps the drafting acumen of PC/JS extends into the 2018 draft. Rashaad Penny is a pick that got National attention as a supposed "reach", then is disrespected with the Madden's RB rankings and downplayed as JAG? RB's apparently aren't considered of much value anymore. I hope Penny goes off for 1800+ yards and 20+ TD's, that'll show them all that they don't know what the heck they are talking about.
:smilingalien:

chris98251

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":14p8rni2 said:
Perhaps the drafting acumen of PC/JS extends into the 2018 draft. Rashaad Penny is a pick that got National attention as a supposed "reach", then is disrespected with the Madden's RB rankings and downplayed as JAG? RB's apparently aren't considered of much value anymore. I hope Penny goes off for 1800+ yards and 20+ TD's, that'll show them all that they don't know what the heck they are talking about.
:smilingalien:

They said the same thing before Lynch, after Lynch teams started to look at RB's more again, I think if we show a winning record as in deep in the playoffs with a running attack that will all change, right now we are Eqypt again so anything we do will be mocked or critisized.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Pundits got long memories, perhaps some still remember the humble pie of Pete/John's 2012 draft? They are just trying to get even by mocking our current draft, however, if Penny becomes a star, those national expert ought to starting calling Pete: daddy.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't follow college football, so every draft is more or less a surprise. But after every pick, I like to learn about each player through articles, media-coverage, or videos. It was Jon Gruden's confidence in his QB camp video featuring RW that got me excited, then the Kansas City pre-season game where he both ran and put the ball on target while under pressure.

Based on measurables, height is the only one that might not have recommended him as a top-tier QB in the draft. Can it be really be that important to all the mediots?!?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The national media was not alll negative about Wilson, but the dumb ones were, along with “he’s too short” sheep.

I recall that John Gruden was pretty much a total fan, believing Wilson had the mind and arm to be special. Mariucci was also a big fan and had done his whiteboard schtick with Russell who the two coaches described as special, driven, and sharp.

The height thing was thought to just be a limitation Wilson would need to work around, yet neither coach though Wilson would not be able to do just that. Most of the rest of the national media, however, like our friend (not) ‘Priscilla’ Prisco we’re beating the too short drum. Seattle was widely panned for that year’s draft but it changed the team forever.

Atradees

Reaction score
Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

Hopefully get him some balance this year.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Atradees":3eegvesh said:
Wasnt following Wisconsin at the time......didnt know about Wilson. Wasn't he also a transfer in college? Another red flag besides the height. He could go down as one of the best ever to play the game.

He had a solid run at North Carolina State from 2008-2010, graduated in 3 years, and then transferred to Wisconsin for a masters degree in education/leadership. He had better stats with Wisconsin, in a new Offense. And look at his high-school stats, too.

Basically, he's had success everywhere he's gone, and been a winner for a long time.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":21bflh2m said:
Atradees":21bflh2m said:

He had a solid run at North Carolina State from 2008-2010, graduated in 3 years, and then transferred to Wisconsin for a masters degree in education/leadership. He had better stats with Wisconsin, in a new Offense. And look at his high-school stats, too.

Basically, he's had success everywhere he's gone, and been a winner for a long time.

And yet, most experts couldn’t see beyond his height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat

Reaction score
I felt the same way most did. I was a little surprised that he went in the third round, but he was impressive as hell in college. People talk about the height thing like it never should have been considered in the draft analysis process, but keep in mind that Wilson is doing something that has never been done before. It was a legitimate thing to question at the time.

He was a different kind of prospect, but if anyone was going to make the short QB thing work, it was going to be Russell Wilson.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":1n1j260w said:
I felt the same way most did. I was a little surprised that he went in the third round, but he was impressive as hell in college. People talk about the height thing like it never should have been considered in the draft analysis process, but keep in mind that Wilson is doing something that has never been done before. It was a legitimate thing to question at the time.

He was a different kind of prospect, but if anyone was going to make the short QB thing work, it was going to be Russell Wilson.

Well-put.

I agree that height is worth considering, and there certainly may be plays he cannot execute well or at all; we'll never know the truth since he wouldn't say so, and neither would the coaches.

However, it's all he's ever known and thus he works with/around it; he's just better at it than others his size, with better preparation, mind, skills and awareness than many taller QBs. Perhaps his height has become the chip on his own shoulder that pushes him to work harder when taller QBs take it for granted.

It's just hard to argue with long-term success, and he had it at every stage of his life, for the right reasons. I'm so very glad we gave him a shot. :179417:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
As I recall JS was all in on Russ based on his Wisconsin connections.

mikeak

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1sqgmwth said:
As a huge Wisconsin Badgers fan, I was really excited to see that the Hawks took him in the third round. I thought he'd go somewhere in the third or fourth but that was only because of his lack of size. If it weren't for that I thought he had late first round potential based solely on how he played on the field in college.

Having said that I have to be honest that I didn't think Russell was likely to become the kind of player that he is today, and has been for the past three years. Thank goodness Schneider locked in on him and convinced Pete that he was the guy!

The reason for not seeing it coming is because you only watched him for one year

Those of us from NC State first watched him for three years where he despite baseball in the offseason improved tremendously between seasons and then we watched him play for the Badgers. We saw it coming :)

mikeak

Reaction score
Atradees":2y69ay9q said:

No not a red flag. The NC State coach who shall not be named had an option. Russel for one year or Glennon for two. So RW was told to quit baseball or lose the starting role. So he graduated and transferred. Then he walked into the Wisconsin locker room and became captain within something ridiculous like 24hrs after driving cross country.

There were no red flags around the transfer

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TBH I think the height thing has become the stuff of legend over time, and a talking head or two filling air time by saying stupid stuff about his height has gotten remembered as a general consensus.

If you go back to the actual post-draft grades from that year from reputable sites, the knock on the Hawks taking Wilson in the 3rd wasn't at all about his height, it was that it was a weird decision given that they'd just invested a bunch of resources in a new starting QB (Flynn): the idea was that spending a 3rd on a backup didn't make much sense.

With the benefit of hindsight that's of course a terrible take, but without the benefit of hindsight it's a take that kinda made sense at the time.

Overall draft analysts didn't knock Wilson because of his height -- he was pretty popular among draft analysts and was a major riser through the draft process -- the story on him was he was gonna be good value rounds 3-5 b/c he was going to get unfairly discounted due to both his height and having changed schools.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1gmki8ml said:
TBH I think the height thing has become the stuff of legend over time, and a talking head or two filling air time by saying stupid stuff about his height has gotten remembered as a general consensus.

If you go back to the actual post-draft grades from that year from reputable sites, the knock on the Hawks taking Wilson in the 3rd wasn't at all about his height, it was that it was a weird decision given that they'd just invested a bunch of resources in a new starting QB (Flynn): the idea was that spending a 3rd on a backup didn't make much sense.

With the benefit of hindsight that's of course a terrible take, but without the benefit of hindsight it's a take that kinda made sense at the time.

Overall draft analysts didn't knock Wilson because of his height -- he was pretty popular among draft analysts and was a major riser through the draft process -- the story on him was he was gonna be good value rounds 3-5 b/c he was going to get unfairly discounted due to both his height and having changed schools.

We are pretty much an expert on Wilson and everything was about his height, his football IQ off the charts, his throwing and completion percentage great, his leadership skills off the charts, he won in both schools in the systems he was given. Played better in the games with higher stakes.

He was too short period was the knock.

Everyone was saying if he was 6'2" or taller he would be a first rounder.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

The Seahawks were overall graded poorly on that draft which was obviously wrong, but the knock on Wilson was spending a third on a QB when they had just invested in Flynn as their starter (again, that was wrong, but the complaint wasn’t about his height — he was a riser during the process b/c people coalesced around saying he was unfairly knocked for his height and for changing schools).

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2z3mp48z said:
^^^ Go back and read the post-draft grades from right after the draft if you don’t believe me.

The Seahawks were overall graded poorly on that draft which was obviously wrong, but the knock on Wilson was spending a third on a QB when they had just invested in Flynn as their starter (again, that was wrong, but the complaint wasn’t about his height — he was a riser during the process b/c people coalesced around saying he was unfairly knocked for his height and for changing schools).

Every one on this Board heard every Mediot other then Jon Gruden slam him for his height, career back up, or Camp Cut was the commentary because of his height. Not his skills.

Everyone began backpeddling real quick after pre season and Flynn was let go. They were shitting themselves after the KC pre season game.

We here remember, don't rewrite the history, we got a F I think that year from almost everyone.