Stanford vs Oregon

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mgt5p2k said:
Tical21":1mgt5p2k said:
It was considerably better for the Huskies if Oregon would have won last night. And it would have been a fantastic thing for the Pac-12 if Oregon had a team playing for the title. That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

Feels like the beginning if the end to me. Eerie similarities to the fall of UW (coaching changes, big game losses... Only thing missing is the sanctions).

These windows are only open for 4-5 years at a time. Did Oregons just shut?

Oregon has more young talent red shirting this year, and currently commited then they've ever had in their history. Mark Helfrich is proving to be a better recruiter (or at least a more commited recruiter) then Chip Kelly ever was. 2015 recruits are already lining up and begging for Oregon offers. The window is not closing.

People act like the Ducks are underachieving by not winning national titles, the truth is they're overachieving. They play in freaking Eugene, Oregon. A state with almost no big time high school talent. They have never had a top 15 recruiting class, yet they are consistently a top 10, usually a top 5 team. Of course I would like to win a championship, but even if we never win a national title this Duck fan is very satisfied winning 10 or 11 games a year and going to a big time bowl game most years, and I don't see that ending any time soon.

I expect USC once sanctions are over to move right back to the top of the pac 12. Oregon will stay right there with Stanford and probably UCLA as perennial contenders.

Yes, the loss was disappointing. But its just a loss. Every single team in the country has them almost every single year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1mqa6fj4 said:
Florida States window was open for twenty years, Nebraska's window was open for thirty, some programs just win. Florida State clawed at a title for years before winning. Some teams claw at that ceiling for years before getting there. One loss isn't a damnation of a program, once people start thinking about that, thats when things fall apart. It's a process either way.

I've never understand the need for teams to root against their rivals with the fervor they root for their own team. Its silly. Oregon did this with UW before the late 90's, WSU does it with the Huskies, Huskies do it with the Ducks, on and on.
You might want to research those windows...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":tx54j1t2 said:
Uncle Si":tx54j1t2 said:
Tical21":tx54j1t2 said:
It was considerably better for the Huskies if Oregon would have won last night. And it would have been a fantastic thing for the Pac-12 if Oregon had a team playing for the title. That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

Feels like the beginning if the end to me. Eerie similarities to the fall of UW (coaching changes, big game losses... Only thing missing is the sanctions).

These windows are only open for 4-5 years at a time. Did Oregons just shut?

Oregon has more young talent red shirting this year, and currently commited then they've ever had in their history. Mark Helfrich is proving to be a better recruiter (or at least a more commited recruiter) then Chip Kelly ever was. 2015 recruits are already lining up and begging for Oregon offers. The window is not closing.

People act like the Ducks are underachieving by not winning national titles, the truth is they're overachieving. They play in freaking Eugene, Oregon. A state with almost no big time high school talent. They have never had a top 15 recruiting class, yet they are consistently a top 10, usually a top 5 team. Of course I would like to win a championship, but even if we never win a national title this Duck fan is very satisfied winning 10 or 11 games a year and going to a big time bowl game most years, and I don't see that ending any time soon.

I expect USC once sanctions are over to move right back to the top of the pac 12. Oregon will stay right there with Stanford and probably UCLA as perennial contenders.

Yes, the loss was disappointing. But its just a loss. Every single team in the country has them almost every single year.

Sure J...

Their is a big difference in national power and conference power. Oregon fans seem to struggle rationalizing their place.

The dip doesn't take long once the shine wears off.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3g8tfuo6 said:
Sure J...

Their is a big difference in national power and conference power. Oregon fans seem to struggle rationalizing their place.

The dip doesn't take long once the shine wears off.

And where is our place?

cesame

Reaction score
Tical21":1bntvjpj said:
Please tell me you're like 23 years old. There was a 20 year stretch when the Huskies were the big bad wolf in the Pacific Northwest and Oregon was below the level of an afterthought where the roles were exactly reversed. What do you think Oregon fans did/said when UW lost?

Go whine. Celebrate your one Rose Bowl, because we both know it won't be long until the tides have turned and Oregon will never be heard from again.

A husky fan bringing the early 90's. I haven't seen that before. As has been said before, it's like the 49ers bringing up championships when they come to .net. Yeah, it's that silly.

It also wasn't long ago when the Huskies were 0-12 and the worst team in the country. It's been over 10 years since the Huskies won more than 7 games. There was a 5-year stretch where the Huskies won a combined 12 games. And oh btw, Oregon with 10 straight W's over Washington.

At some point the Huskies have to do something to change the fact they've been a mediocre program this century.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Uncle Si,

I came up with those windows off the top of my head, at your recommendation, I researched the windows.

From 1970-1997, Nebraska finished in the top 10 20 times. They finished outside of the top 20 once, and never finished outside the top 25. That is a 27 year window of elite football.

Florida State finished in the top 5 14 years in a row, and starting in 1979 through 2000, two decades, they went unranked three times and finished in the top 15 every other year.

So, in sum, Florida State was a very good program for over twenty years, and an utterly elite program for 14 consecutive years, pretty close to my estimation.

Nebraska's run of dominance lasted 27 years, spanned three decades.

I'd say my initial statement was pretty accurate.

Cheers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawk2k":vs8l5zen said:
Uncle Si,

I came up with those windows off the top of my head, at your recommendation, I researched the windows.

From 1970-1997, Nebraska finished in the top 10 20 times. They finished outside of the top 20 once, and never finished outside the top 25. That is a 27 year window of elite football.

Florida State finished in the top 5 14 years in a row, and starting in 1979 through 2000, two decades, they went unranked three times and finished in the top 15 every other year.

So, in sum, Florida State was a very good program for over twenty years, and an utterly elite program for 14 consecutive years, pretty close to my estimation.

Cheers.

How many national titles did they win to keep those windows open?

Oregon fans seem to think flash cards, rotating uniforms and 2nd place finishes will keep them elite

Popularity is fickle. Ask Boise State, TCU... Sooner than later Oregon needs to win a national championship or those five star class recruits will look elsewhere. You end being Stanford, Wisconsin, etcn You all know that....

Cheers...

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't think you have a clue what Oregon fans think. And Oregon doesn't get 5 star recruits (we have 2 on our current roster but they're both playing on the opposite side of the ball from where they were 5 star prospects). I think we've had 4 five stars in the entire history of our program.

HawkWow

Reaction score
cesame":3fyi1cxa said:
Tical21":3fyi1cxa said:
Please tell me you're like 23 years old. There was a 20 year stretch when the Huskies were the big bad wolf in the Pacific Northwest and Oregon was below the level of an afterthought where the roles were exactly reversed. What do you think Oregon fans did/said when UW lost?

Go whine. Celebrate your one Rose Bowl, because we both know it won't be long until the tides have turned and Oregon will never be heard from again.

A husky fan bringing the early 90's. I haven't seen that before. As has been said before, it's like the 49ers bringing up championships when they come to .net. Yeah, it's that silly.

I want to ask you this in a way that doesn't offend: How old are you and how long have you been involved with college football? Posters that come up with analogies like yours are either very young or very unknowing. You guys speak of tradition and history like it's something that should be shunned like herpes. One day you will understand there is nothing more important than history and/or tradition in college football. 20 years ago is not ancient history. In the bigger picture...it was yesterday.

There is zero comparison between pro teams, compiled of paid players (and in your example, paid extra by Eddie D) and college programs. Because some of us were there to witness our championship, it means everything to us and we are not digging into the past in bringing it up. Posts like yours are reserved for guys that follow teams that have never won anything. It would be hard for you to know, understand or respect college football history, and tradition, if your program has none.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
There's a difference between being proud of your history... As you absolutely should be. And putting down another team based on something you did 25 years ago like husky fans like to do, which is pretty lame.

cesame

Reaction score
JSeahawks nailed it

Be proud of your tradition. Just don't use it as some argument as why this run Oregon has been on means anything less. Idk how many times I've seen Husky fans bring up the early 90's and use it as some kind of argument against this current Oregon team. It's dumb comparing teams 25 years apart.

Ultimately what matters right now is what the teams have done lately. And between the two it isn't even close. It's actually closer between Oregon and Oregon State than it is between Oregon and Washington.

The good times in the 90's were great, but at some point you have to start making more history, and how you play in rivalry games DOES MATTER. Losing 10 in a row is damning.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1rq9rjwv said:
I don't think you have a clue what Oregon fans think. And Oregon doesn't get 5 star recruits (we have 2 on our current roster but they're both playing on the opposite side of the ball from where they were 5 star prospects). I think we've had 4 five stars in the entire history of our program.

Sure...

Look I'm not trying to put Oregon down. I was born a Husky. Went to ASU for soccer. I root for the PAC 10. I'm just saying that Oregons window to win that national championship may be closing.

Disagree if you want. Its your team. I don't care if they win one or ten or none...

Gap Filler

Reaction score
Oregon is yesterdays news. They are flawed. They don't have the size up front. Its why I said FSU would give Alabama a better game. FSU has bigger and stronger athletes, especially up front where it matters just like the SEC. Go look at it, across the board Oregon is outweighed and out physicalled on the lines by 20 pounds or more by the SEC and FSU.

Oregon is flawed by their own success. They want to be fast and athletic, snap the ball every 10 seconds. Well you have to have lineman that can keep that pace. Smaller, more athletic lineman. Stanford has some bigger, stronger athletes like the top SEC teams have and they are similar and since they don't make mistakes (smart) it controls Oregons gimmick.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Gap Filler":2z41nozm said:
Oregon is yesterdays news. They are flawed. They don't have the size up front. Its why I said FSU would give Alabama a better game. FSU has bigger and stronger athletes, especially up front where it matters just like the SEC. Go look at it, across the board Oregon is outweighed and out physicalled on the lines by 20 pounds or more by the SEC and FSU.

Oregon is flawed by their own success. They want to be fast and athletic, snap the ball every 10 seconds. Well you have to have lineman that can keep that pace. Smaller, more athletic lineman. Stanford has some bigger, stronger athletes like the top SEC teams have and they are similar and since they don't make mistakes (smart) it controls Oregons gimmick.

I dont think they're yesterdays news, they're going to continue to win 10 or 11 games and be in the national conversation.

But, I wont argue with your general premise, I do wish that Oregon had big, stud o'linemen. But we don't have smaller o'linemen because of the system we run... we run the system because those are the linemen we can get. It's the same reason that University of Washington switched to "the gimmick" offense this season, and that most of the pac 12 runs those "gimmick offenses". Because they coulnt get those kind of linemen either. Of course I would love to have five 6'5", athletic 320 pound linemen, but for whatever reason they just don't grow very many of those in this part of the country.

HawkWow

Reaction score
cesame":4v2si0h2 said:
JSeahawks nailed it

Be proud of your tradition. Just don't use it as some argument as why this run Oregon has been on means anything less. Idk how many times I've seen Husky fans bring up the early 90's and use it as some kind of argument against this current Oregon team. It's dumb comparing teams 25 years apart.

Ultimately what matters right now is what the teams have done lately. And between the two it isn't even close. It's actually closer between Oregon and Oregon State than it is between Oregon and Washington.

The good times in the 90's were great, but at some point you have to start making more history, and how you play in rivalry games DOES MATTER. Losing 10 in a row is damning.

It's only damning as far as the last 10 years go. I'm afraid you're missing the point in all of this rivalry stuff bro. It's not about today's team.. or even yesterday's team. It's about two schools fighting for ultimate, historical supremacy. This is why Dawg fans continue to have the upper hand in the series. We've beat UO more times than UO has beat us. We've won 2 Nattys, UO, none.

You may not like this, but it's college football tradition just the same. I really don't see how this can be argued. It's like going to Baseball, which is all about records, and saying "Well, let's exclude the accomplishments of Hank Aaron because that was a long damn time ago". UO and UW will continue this war long after you and I are dead. So the past 10 years will have very little impact on the overall history of UW vs UO.

BTW, I never trashed UO when you were our doormats. I understand such things are cyclical. Now it's your time. Enjoy, but never think you will be free of us Dawgs reminding you of your past.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":2zuazulf said:
cesame":2zuazulf said:
JSeahawks nailed it

It's only damning as far as the last 10 years go. I'm afraid you're missing the point in all of this rivalry stuff bro. It's not about today's team.. or even yesterday's team. It's about two schools fighting for ultimate, historical supremacy. This is why Dawg fans continue to have the upper hand in the series. We've beat UO more times than UO has beat us. We've won 2 Nattys, UO, none.

I bet when Alabama fans get in arguments with Auburn fans they're not talking about the Bear Bryant era. When Ohio State fans get into arguments with Penn State or Michigan fans I bet they're not bragging about the Woody Hayes era. And they have way more history then Washington does. ;)

Personally I couldn't care less what the all time series is between Oregon and any other school. I want Scoreboard in the here and present. I'm assuming that Oregon has a better history then Oregon State does but I've never once talked to a Beaver fan about it when talking Civil War smack, because it doesn't matter to me what happened 20 years ago.

I mean, I guess I cant speak for everybody, but i'd much rather be a fan of the team having the current success then be a fan of the team that relies on ancient history.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1v70s5z3 said:
seahawk2k":1v70s5z3 said:
Uncle Si,

Cheers.

Oregon fans seem to think flash cards, rotating uniforms and 2nd place finishes will keep them elite

Popularity is fickle. Ask Boise State, TCU... Sooner than later Oregon needs to win a national championship or those five star class recruits will look elsewhere. You end being Stanford, Wisconsin, etcn You all know that....

Cheers...

Nebraska went over 20 years between National titles, Florida State went over a decade of excellent football without winning a title. So, the answer for Nebraska from the mid 70's to the mid 90's would be 0, for Florida State, from 1980-92, the answer is 0. So, there is actually good historical precedence that you can win a lot of games for a lot of years without needing a national title to buoy the program.

I'm actually not a Ducks fan, I'm a WSU guy, and I root for the Huskies every time they play the Ducks. Because I don't agree with the incessant pot shots and the company line Husky fans repeat ad nauseum, I guess that makes me a Ducks fan.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawk2k":g2opd53b said:
Uncle Si":g2opd53b said:
seahawk2k":g2opd53b said:
Uncle Si,

Cheers.

Cheers...

Nebraska went over 20 years between National titles, Florida State went over a decade of excellent football without winning a title. So, the answer for Nebraska from the mid 70's to the mid 90's would be 0, for Florida State, from 1980-92, the answer is 0. So, there is actually good historical precedence that you can win a lot of games for a lot of years without needing a national title to buoy the program.

I'm actually not a Ducks fan, I'm a WSU guy, and I root for the Huskies every time they play the Ducks. Because I don't agree with the incessant pot shots and the company line Husky fans repeat ad nauseum, I guess that makes me a Ducks fan.

You're leaving out both programs multiple undefeated seasons in those years... But yeah. This is about Oregon's sustainability. College football has changed.

I don't think I'm taking pot shots. Just talking about the ups and downs of college football

Latest posts