OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":atysyai0 said:
razgriz737":atysyai0 said:
Smurf":atysyai0 said:
SeatownJay":atysyai0 said:
Seattle's released their protected list for Wednesday's expansion draft.

Protected
Osvaldo Alonso
Chad Barrett
Clint Dempsey
Brad Evans
Stefan Frei
Chad Marshall
Obafemi Martins
Lamar Neagle
Marco Pappa (Int'l)
Gonzalo Pineda (Int'l)
Andy Rose

Automatically Protected
Aaron Kovar (Homegrown)
Damion Lowe (Int'l / Generation adidas)
Sean Okoli (Homegrown)
DeAndre Yedlin (Homegrown)

Y'all ready for some new defenders?

cause Marshall might be the only one returning, lol.
Ha, you're right. This will be an interesting offseason to say the least.

Wow...Didn't think about that until you pointed it out Smurf. Looks more and more like Evans will be shifted to back, possibly Yedlin's replacement. Surprised they didn't protect Remick. Also Frei is the only remaining GK.

After looking through the Expansion draft lists I'm pretty confident that the sounders wont lose a player at all. There are some really talented guys out there right now. Not sure Remick, Cooper, Scott, or Azira crack the top 20 available players.

Remick and Cooper are the two most likely, but I still think its fairly unlikely we lose both.

As for Evans, I don't think he moves to RB full time. His ability to play there gives our team some flexibility, but we do need to look at the bringing in a legit RB or two). Needless to say, our tactics will change next year as a large portion of our play style depended on Yedlin's skill set.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When can incumbent MLS teams pick up former Chivas USA players. Is that before or after the expansion draft?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":2dos54jr said:
hawkfan68":2dos54jr said:
When can incumbent MLS teams pick up former Chivas USA players. Is that before or after the expansion draft?

That has already happened.

Ahh..ok.

I was looking through the expansion draft list and noticed quite a few former Sounders FC players were left unprotected by their current teams- Eddie Johnson, Jeff Parke, Marc Burch, Patrick Ianni, David Estrada, Alex Caskey, Servando Carrasco, Sanna Nyassi, Shalrie Joseph, Bryan Meredith, Mike Fucito, Cordell Cato, and Mauro Rosales.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conte...ild-rosters-available-player-list-announced-0

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":12rnm71n said:
Smurf":12rnm71n said:
hawkfan68":12rnm71n said:

That has already happened.

Ahh..ok.

I was looking through the expansion draft list and noticed quite a few former Sounders FC players were left unprotected by their current teams- Eddie Johnson, Jeff Parke, Marc Burch, Patrick Ianni, David Estrada, Alex Caskey, Servando Carrasco, Sanna Nyassi, Shalrie Joseph, Bryan Meredith, Mike Fucito, Cordell Cato, and Mauro Rosales.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conte...ild-rosters-available-player-list-announced-0

There are reasons they aren't sounders anymore. Of those, I think EJ is the only real candidate to get drafted.

Chapow

Reaction score
253hawk":1t8bj38w said:
razgriz737":1t8bj38w said:
You're not going to find many other soccer critics in a soccer thread...Let's just nip this in the bud.

Flopping is one thing and can be rather comical. Having it happen every 5 minutes and legitimately acting like your nose got pushed through your skull or your leg is broken in 14 places in career-ending fashion (before getting up and running off like nothing ever happened) is quite another.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic when they do that whole rolling around on the ground routine and I hate it, but every 5 minutes? C'mon, obviously that's a gross exaggeration and you damn well know it. I watch a lot of soccer and while that happens more than I'd like (I'd like it to not happen at all), it happens no where remotely close to the extent that soccer "haters" say it does.

The NBA is way, way, way worse. I can't even begin to imagine what the average amount of flops in a typical NBA game is. It's basically unwatchable as a sport any more. Shoot and flail, dribble into someone and flail, go for a board and flail, hell, just flail, you'll probably get the call. And to make it worse, the players and coaches are constantly throwing tantrums when their flops don't get called.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
253hawk":2unf60va said:
Storts":2unf60va said:
:lol: :lol: Utter nonsense, there's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world

Yeah mean, it's riveting stuff.

uSFxjGg.gif

Basketball player flop, football players are now flopping and have always embellished holding calls to get a flag thrown.

So embellishing the rules to gain an advantage is not unique to soccer. Since sports were invented players and coaches have been bending the rules to gain an advantage.

If you don't like soccer? That's OK, but to dismiss it because of diving? Then that's just a lazy argument.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Jalil Anibaba was selected by Orlando City SC.

Sounders protect Zach Scott.

Shocking...whole draft has been fairly shocking thus far.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Expansion draft is over. Jalil Anibaba was the only Sounder taken.

Pretty decent for us.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":1ayjj4dc said:

Pretty decent for us.

Agreed! Anibaba was terrible and out of contract so to get compensated for him is a win. If we were to trade Cooper would it likely be now or early next year? Wouldn't mind some more allocation to buy down Ozzys DP contract and get a DP winger in.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2jt89x3q said:
Smurf":2jt89x3q said:

Pretty decent for us.

Agreed! Anibaba was terrible and out of contract so to get compensated for him is a win. If we were to trade Cooper would it likely be now or early next year? Wouldn't mind some more allocation to buy down Ozzys DP contract and get a DP winger in.

A cooper trade could happen at any second.

Chances are high we buy down Ozzy's contract with existing allocation money we got for the USOC, Shield, and Yedlin transfer. We are loaded in terms of allocation money.

Rumor is that former Chivas USA player Cubo Torres is not headed back to Chivas Guadalajara and will be heading to another MLS Club. The only two clubs being mentioned are the Sounders and LA Galaxy. Its not impossible he could end up a sounder, but I would say there is more of a chance he ends up with the Galaxy. Especially with LD retiring and Keane most likely heading out of the league.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Smurf":1oss7f4a said:

Pretty decent for us.

incase people care, Anibaba was flipped to SKC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":hpqvlxxm said:
Rumor is that former Chivas USA player Cubo Torres is not headed back to Chivas Guadalajara and will be heading to another MLS Club. The only two clubs being mentioned are the Sounders and LA Galaxy. Its not impossible he could end up a sounder, but I would say there is more of a chance he ends up with the Galaxy. Especially with LD retiring and Keane most likely heading out of the league.

Garber will absolutely use his magical non transparency powers to get Torres to LA.

One of the many things that pissed me off about MLS is Garber can pretty much do what he wants with player movement due to not having to be transparent with the player's union or press. I can't complain too much because he's facilitated a few players to Seattle like Dempsey, even though we were WAY down the allocation list.

But still, for defunct franchise players? Shouldn't they go back into some sort of allocation draft like USMNT players have to do?

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z36ahp2 said:
Smurf":2z36ahp2 said:

Garber will absolutely use his magical non transparency powers to get Torres to LA.

One of the many things that pissed me off about MLS is Garber can pretty much do what he wants with player movement due to not having to be transparent with the player's union or press. I can't complain too much because he's facilitated a few players to Seattle like Dempsey, even though we were WAY down the allocation list.

But still, for defunct franchise players? Shouldn't they go back into some sort of allocation draft like USMNT players have to do?

Technically Cubo Torres is not part of the MLS right now. He was on loan. If he returns, the league would have to buy him (7 Million)....

All that being said, there is a new CBA being negotiated this offseason....so perhaps some things will change.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":32bxb9xm said:
So, according to this Garth Lagerway is leaving RSL and coming to Seattle to replace Adrian Hanauer.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... r-seattle/

I doubt he takes over as GM...I would assume he takes the role of Team President that was vacated when the Sounders/Seahawks split their front offices.

Adrian is one of the best GM's in the league, IMO.

Also heard a rumor today that Lagerwey's arrival could coincide with Hanauer looking towards getting the Sounders their own stadium.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Smurf":2vpzs0ie said:
SeatownJay":2vpzs0ie said:
So, according to this Garth Lagerway is leaving RSL and coming to Seattle to replace Adrian Hanauer.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... r-seattle/

I doubt he takes over as GM...I would assume he takes the role of Team President that was vacated when the Sounders/Seahawks split their front offices.

Adrian is one of the best GM's in the league, IMO.

Also heard a rumor today that Lagerwey's arrival could coincide with Hanauer looking towards getting the Sounders their own stadium.

That stadium comment by Twellman turned SaH into an absolute blackhole devoid of reasoning and logic today. The group think that that site is very strange. The Sonics will win the NBA title in Seattle before the Sounders get a new stadium of their own.

I completely understand his grievances, Hanauer would be wise not to bite the hand that feeds him.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I have heard other rumors that Lagerwey will takeover as GM and Hanauer will become team president. I believe currently he is both team president/GM, right? That's a lot of work. Lagerwey will be a very good replacement for Hanauer. Wonder if Hanauer will work in a small role for Lagerwey, or Lagerwey will be the sole GM and Hanauer will step down and become full-time team president?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":22fe7ywz said:
I have heard other rumors that Lagerwey will takeover as GM and Hanauer will become team president. I believe currently he is both team president/GM, right? That's a lot of work. Lagerwey will be a very good replacement for Hanauer. Wonder if Hanauer will work in a small role for Lagerwey, or Lagerwey will be the sole GM and Hanauer will step down and become full-time team president?

If I had to guess, kinda a smooth year of transition for Hanauer leaving and Lagerwey taking over full time next year.

Hanauer does have other business interests, so it wouldn't surprise me if he got out of soccer entirely.