Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Smurf":1kemhldj said:
Uncle Si":1kemhldj said:
Smurf":1kemhldj said:
Taylor Twellman is reporting the deal has been finalized.

Yedlin to Spurs for $4.0 Million.

Yedlin will remain with the sounders through the 2014 season and the earliest.

good for him. The PL will be a great place for him to develop (or fail out). either way, its the appropriate challenge for his ambitions and Spurs are a highly successful and recognizable club

Yedlin will surpass Kyle Walker within 3 years to be the #1 RB at spurs.
You're assuming he'll still be with Spurs in 3 years.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":29idca5b said:
Smurf":29idca5b said:
Uncle Si":29idca5b said:
Smurf":29idca5b said:
Taylor Twellman is reporting the deal has been finalized.

Yedlin to Spurs for $4.0 Million.

Yedlin will remain with the sounders through the 2014 season and the earliest.

good for him. The PL will be a great place for him to develop (or fail out). either way, its the appropriate challenge for his ambitions and Spurs are a highly successful and recognizable club

Yedlin will surpass Kyle Walker within 3 years to be the #1 RB at spurs.
You're assuming he'll still be with Spurs in 3 years.

Lol, yeah...

McG

Reaction score
I really wish Yedlin would have gone to Liverpool. With the US ties, Brendan Rogers seeming to be very good with youth players, and with Glen Johnson seeming like he has lost a step at RB I figured it would have been a perfect fit. If not Liverpool, than maybe a mid level Premier League team or even an Everton type that's fighting for a possible top 4 finish. I'm just not sure that Tottenham would be the best place for him to get first team football. Kyle Walker is young and will be England's #1 choice for years to come, so I can't see him beating him out now or in three years. Walker has great pace, is physically strong and can pass/cross very well, he is ideal RB in the Premier League. I just wonder what the plan is for Yedlin at Tottenham.

I really think Yedlin's ideal position is at RM or a RWB in a 3 CB formation. Personally, I believe the formation that Man United is going to run under Louis Van Gaal would be ideal for his play and wouldn't allow the counter attack to hit so hard when he is caught up the field, a la Danny Alves from Barca. I know a lot of people seem to think Yedlin should develop his defensive skills more, but I believe upgrading his attacking skills (first touch/ball control, crossing, passing, etc.) would make him 10 times more valuable. I just don't see a 1st team future for him at Tottenham, but you never know. I do see a lot of loan outs to mid-level sides and/or sides fighting for relegation. I really hope they don't loan him out to any Championship sides, I don't see how that will help him develop properly or any better than staying in the MLS. Good luck to him though, I just wish that he would have a better situation to fall into when he leaves Seattle next year.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders crush the Chicago Fire 6-0 to advance to the US Open Cup final.

The Sounders have made the Open Cup final in 5 of their 6 seasons in MLS.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow...Sounds like the Fire played more like water last night. Nice thrashing by Rave Green. I hope they didn't use up all their goals for the week since they have a big game at RSL on Saturday.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ro6q13d said:
Wow...Sounds like the Fire played more like water last night. Nice thrashing by Rave Green. I hope they didn't use up all their goals for the week since they have a big game at RSL on Saturday.

Andy Rose scored 2 of them....so that should show you how bad the fire were.

This team will have goals in it come Saturday.

knownone

Reaction score
This is the downside to going deep in the Open Cup. We don't have the depth to go on the road against the second place team, and compete on 3 days rest. Alonso, Neagle, Cooper, Evans, Scott, and Pappa all played significant minutes Wednesday night, and all of them looked off from the start. Pappa being the lone exception (he's got a slight knock).

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sigi put a cup final appearance as more important than 3 points vs RSL. Not worried about it. We will be ok.

McG

Reaction score
Smurf":1umidcdr said:
Sigi put a cup final appearance as more important than 3 points vs RSL. Not worried about it. We will be ok.

The regular season is what it is. It's a grind, we aren't a top 4 EPL side. Hell, we aren't even a top for Mexican side, so the quality of depth isn't there for us to field a great starting 11 every game. I believe that this may be the year we can win it all (both the Lamar Hunt and MLS cups), but I have so little faith in our goalkeeper Frei. Ironically, goalkeeper has always been the strong point of this team. Well, great goalkeeping and Alonso, but it seems like now the team is built from the front to back. Our forwards are strong, then midfield, then defense and lastly our goal keeping. It is the MLS, so you never really know who is going to win, but I really hope we can pull it off this year, despite the lackluster goalkeeping. I just can't wait for the day the salary cap is vastly increased and there is a lot more great talent in the league. The MLS overall is getting better, but it's not even up to par with the Mexican League, much less the rest of the world.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully the Sounders get Pappa back for tonight's match against San Jose. I have a feeling that Sigi will tinker with the lineup tonight. Trying to keep guys fresh for the match this Sunday against Portland.

Here's the pre-match lineups via Seattle Times -

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/sound...fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes-pre-match-lineups/

No Dempsey, Gonzalez, Neagle, and Pineda for the Sounders starting 11. Pappa is back in though.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Rough stretch.

Too narrow with Dempsey on the pitch. Forwards drifting too deep.

Portland on Sunday is massive.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":16iuzbg5 said:
Seattle drops two points at home as the Summer Slide continues.

They gave away 2 points yesterday. Should have had 3 instead of 1. This team goes to sleep when they have the lead most of the time. They dominated possession. They took 24 shots and came away with 1 goal.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's attack looks much better today than the previous few matches. I attribute it to the fact that they're getting back to playing the ball wide and not funneling everything to the top of the box.