Sonics return

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
A lot of the scoring increase has to do with the rules. The game is called different, there is much more freedom of movement now. Before you could bump and hand check, can't do that anymore. Similar to how cornerbacks can't use their hands much anymore on WR's.

But the main one is the three point shot. But I also agree, the players now are so much better than they used to be. The NBA also plays at a much faster pace now.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm reading above..
Players are more talented then back then???
Trust me if the players today had to play full
court defense and by all the rules of back then
their so called more talent goes down a few
notches.I absolutely have no doubt of that.

Msfann

Reaction score
I'll forever miss the Sonics but the nba has been dead to me since they let our team be stolen and didn't do jack shit to help us, yet have helped other cities since. Remember stern blocking the kings sale for example, he bent over backwards to help Sacramento but didn't do a damn thing to help Seattle.

The NHL has been a breath of fresh air, the games are way more exciting and real and have less commercials etc.

My guess is the nba will get a boner to have a team in vegas and to make things even they will toss us a bone too.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty understanding that whole last paragraph. And I'm Unsure where you're getting your stats from. NBA ratings have been down for quite some time. Certainly since the era(s) you reference.

I am a middle aged "white guy" for sure. And I'm OK with you calling me that. I played the game my whole life starting as a kid in the inner city (Milwaukee). And I also played a lot of baseball. Yep. Baseball is probably boring to some. I get that. It's a thinking man's sport.

No, I'm not crazy about many of these rule changes you enjoy. I feel they are designed to entertain those with short attention spans. I enjoy a game with great defense as much as I do an offensive shoot-out.

The short attention span generation have hurt many sports. Football, basketball and they've ruined the once great sport of boxing. The short attention span do not possess the patience or mental fortitude to watch 12 full rds of such science and strategy. Nope, they want blood and they want it now. They want MMA.

Anyway, I guess you're entertained by the music played at these events, but I go to a ton of games and I do not see many people that are. And I don't see a large population of "urban youth and people of color" at these games either. What I do see is a helluva lot of empty seats. Probably because of the music.

This was fun and I thank you for your opinion and this banter. I do agree with you that this year's NBA play-offs may prove to be epic. Enjoy! Go Bucks!
Baseball is a great sport to play and watch, but a “thinking man’s sport” sounds like you’re trying to exclude someone…

Rule changes have come to every single sport, and for the most part have been good for their respective games. Even though most leagues have moved towards offense I still see great defense in all the sports…when the games have real meaning.

“Mental fortitude” to watch 12 rounds of boxing? Give me a break, I would say fans of that sport are more turned off by the blatant manipulation of the half dozen “titles” they promote. It has historically been a fringe sport for most of the world. Yet when they have legit title bouts with their top talent they get millions of viewers….for all the rounds.

I don’t always like a particular song but that includes some of the moldy oldies, 80 rock, party anthems, or crowd sing alongs that play in every stadium/arena. They don’t play it just for your enjoyment. As for the league’s, they market for not only in house but TV and more importantly to them social media consumers…it is the future with or without you.
I would say the empty seats you referenced are due to the insane cost of attending rather than the “music” they play. I have season tickets for Hawks and Kraken and I can confirm the presence of both “urban youth and POC” in large numbers so I’m not quite sure what message you’re pushing….

chris98251

Reaction score
Basketball is now what we called shooting practice, no real skill on defense, coaching and set ups of offense, it's like a pick up game on any court in the country with lazy people shooting threes. Everyone a Fred Brown, Give me Gus Williams, Slick Watts, Gary Payton, Dennis Johnson.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
If old white guys hate the NBA that makes me want to get into it even more.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If LGBT want to love and get into the NBA more..I support that 100%

Msfann

Reaction score
I see the thunder are in 29th place out of 30th place in attendance. Why don't they support their team? They must be shitty fans who don't care about their team. And all that other bs they liked to say to Seattle fans to troll them.

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Modern players are better shooters but that's that's it. People have become better at shooting so they just chuck up 3's all game. They should get rid of the 3 point line again or make the court bigger and move out the 3 point line.
Basketball is now what we called shooting practice, no real skill on defense, coaching and set ups of offense, it's like a pick up game on any court in the country with lazy people shooting threes. Everyone a Fred Brown, Give me Gus Williams, Slick Watts, Gary Payton, Dennis Johnson.
Ya exactly.

D

DomeHawk

Would have loved to see Downtown Freddy Brown w the 3-point shot in place!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
**** david stern. but it's time to bring back the sonics. if we get awarded a franchise soon, maybe we can lure KD back to finish his career here.

Seahawker

Reaction score
From the 79 Champs to GP & SK it was a great time to be a basketball fan. Got to watch them a handful of times including twice at the Coliseum in 79', loved listening to Bob Blackburn on the radio. Have not watched the NBA since the Sonics left.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Someone mentioned they are better shooters today..
If all the other era's had to just chuck 3's everyone would have been better shooters.
i agree with getting rid of the three point line forcing it to be a better all around game.

Vesuve

Reaction score
I loved the Sonics and they are part of my childhood but I haven't watched an NBA game since they left. I catch scores every once in a while and it seems as though defense does not exist anymore.

I used to want my team back so bad but not if it is just a 3 point shooting contest every night...
I'm the same way.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
As someone stated earlier ---- I'm really digging Kraken hockey. What a fun sport and right now fun team to root for. Even if somehow the NBA came back it would be behind NFL and NHL for my attention.