So why the ratings plunge?

mrt144

Reaction score
Despite a lack of hard evidence on my part, I reckon that for casual fans of the NFL, things like flags and injuries slow the game down to the point where it isn't nearly as 'entertaining' to them as it could be. For die hards like us there is so much we can focus on each play and pre snap. But football viewership in aggregate shouldn't require a huge boner for football to be enjoyable.

A

Anonymous

It will be interesting to see what happens after that SNF contest last night.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Goodell: "Hey why do our rating stink so bad?"

League Office: "I don't know sir, we're furiously looking into it as we speak."

Goodell: "Good to hear, who's the Thursday Night Matchup?"

League Office: "Jags and Titans"

Goodell: *blink*

HawkGA

Reaction score
There's a poll linked to on a popular media site blaming the protests. Honestly, I don't buy it. I just don't see people turning the game because of something they don't actually even show on TV (they don't actually show the national anthem except for the Super Bowl, right?).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RiverDog":2dzojn54 said:
I really think that football has peaked. It's still going to remain as the 500 pound gorilla of the American sporting scene, but we've seen an end to this exponential climb in popularity. It's not unlike Major League Baseball in the late 50's.

Or boxing in the 30s, and so on. Of all the reasons that people give (the election, boring games, too many games broadcast making each game less of an "event") the one people don't talk about enough IMO is the seemingly never-ending negative press the NFL has generated over the past five years.

I know two people who after being lifelong football fans have converted all their fandom over to the NBA in the past few years, simply because they're turned off by the NFL. It was a combination of trying to stiffle concusion research, the NFL's obsession with penalizing players for smoking weed and celebrating and pretty wanton disinterest in penalizing players for domestic battery and sexual assault unless their hand is forced, and so on that caused these people to tune out.

TaFeargOrm

Reaction score
I tend to agree that the ratings plunge has more to do with the NFL's recent push to be a 24/7 365 entity and much like the news it became a lot of garbage filler or negativity. I don't recall a commissioner being seen and heard this frequently and quite frankly I'm tired of the drama.

I will always watch the Seahawks play but I absolutely cannot stand games that are littered with flags or constant game stoppage. Quit changing the rules and let the game flow. The games I enjoy the most are where both teams are allowed to have limited contact with each other beyond the 5 yard line and two stars such as Sherman and Marshall are fighting it out each play. If I'm watching a game Seattle is not involved in and there are constant flags for ticky tack fouls I turn it off.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Another thing worth considering:

ESPN has lost 620K subscribers this year.

Part of the NFL's ratings plunge has nothing to do with the NFL at all.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I won't click on ESPN articles or or go to their website. I am sick and tired of their political agenda pushing there. It doesn't surprise me they have lost subscribers because I am one of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
The NFL squashes big personalities, simply look at how the handled Lynch and what the just did to Sherman on that no call interference, eliminated the head slap on the replay by Jones. Everyone that is out going they target and try to fine or flag to extreme. NO FUN LEAGUE has reached new levels. Half the league in the 60's and 70's would not be able to afford to play these days due to fines and flags. Where would T.O. be now, Randy Moss, or further back Ken Stabler, Sonny Jergenson, Joe Namath, and a host of others that were known to tip a few and party. Then those guys that stand up for their players and QB's from aggressive play and hits, they would be tossed and or fined also.

They want Vibration Football tables in real life, no personality and boring. When's the last time you seen a Vibrating Football table for sale at the stores, NFL is losing viewers because of this and the rain of flags and long delays in them figuring out what they threw the flag for.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1243ra5q said:
So if I'm your boss at work and order you to do something stupid, it's your fault. Sweet. :)
So you are saying they pay Rog 30+ million dollars a year and then and then they tell him EVERY SINGLE WORD to say???
If that's the case, that's one expensive dummy, and uncle Jerruh and the Rooney's are horrible ventriloquists.

I know Rog is your dog and all, but come on man. :lol:[/quote]
:roll:

I just believe in trying to go after the source of the problem, not bash my head against the wall playing whack-a-mole on the mere symptoms.

Largent80

Reaction score
My main case for not watching was showcased in the Seahawks game today.

Penalties, both called and uncalled, and the obvious bias and lack of control of the referees. They have ruined the game for me.

I hope someone from the nfl actually reads this, but I doubt this will ever change until all of us quit caring.

Jville

Reaction score
I am part of the viewer fall off. No question about it.

I remember a time, before the internet, when I followed a dozen teams and knew their rosters name by name. But, no more. I've watched only one live Seahawk game this year. All other Seahawk games have been at home thru a purposely time delayed DVR. I simply have lost all tolerance for suffocating commercials, flags, bickering and unreliable broadcasts. Fact is, the rest of the NFL telecasts have now become dead to me.

Game rules have badly tilted and soften the game to comply with television correctness. In my eyes, all pretense of balanced contests has evaporated. The telecast dominates and belittles the game. It is easier for me to see the game diminished and walk away than it is for those invested or hooked on coattail businesses such as Madden games or fantasy leagues.

As for television network conglomerates, they can't die off soon enough. They have become a public disservice.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Bears have their 2nd MNF game in only 8 weeks tonight. Stuff like that that is why the ratings suck.

Just checked, this will be their 4th primetime game. Half of their games have been in primetime. 2 MNF games, 1 Sunday Night Football Game, and 1 TNF game. Luckily this is their last.

Who's bright idea was it to give the Bears 4 prime time games in the first 8 weeks? Everyone knew they were going to suck this year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1myfr3cb said:
The Bears have their 2nd MNF game in only 8 weeks tonight. Stuff like that that is why the ratings suck.

Just checked, this will be their 4th primetime game. Half of their games have been in primetime. 2 MNF games, 1 Sunday Night Football Game, and 1 TNF game. Luckily this is their last.

Who's bright idea was it to give the Bears 4 prime time games in the first 8 weeks? Everyone knew they were going to suck this year.

I tried to watch tonight, but had to shut it off. It's the commercials for me. They ruin any enjoyment I may have had watching the game.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Perhaps this was posted elsewhere, and nothing in it will be a surprise to anyone here, but it clearly states that one of the main reasons ratings are down are the growing number of penalties. Stops the play, stops the flow and you get more commercials while they figure out what the hell the call should be. They are ruining the sport.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... ge%2Fstory

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":1byxglgl said:
Perhaps this was posted elsewhere, and nothing in it will be a surprise to anyone here, but it clearly states that one of the main reasons ratings are down are the growing number of penalties. Stops the play, stops the flow and you get more commercials while they figure out what the hell the call should be. They are ruining the sport.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... ge%2Fstory

It's everything. Too many penalties, too many stoppages, too many reviews, games are too long, bad games with bad teams, lack of good QB play all over the league.

IMO the biggest thing for me is games just aren't fun. Goodell and his merry band of No Fun League Nazi's in order to create the most sterile safe environment to maximize and satisfy advertisers have sucked all the fun out of games. Players can barely crack a smile after scoring, let along have a good time and celebrate.

THIS is why we all fell in love with football growing up. The league was full of characters having fun. Icky Woods, Neon Dion, Billy White Shoes Johnson, The Boz vs Mr. Ed, The Fun Bunch, Purple People Eaters, Raider Nation, The Hogs, TO and his Sharpie...........on and on.

Any good form of entertainment needs it's heroes, it's villians and it's characters. The NFL has rid itself of all of this and told it's players to just be robots.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sherman just said what I said, that makes us both highly intelligent human beings and smart brothers 4 lyfe.

Sherman, asked why TV ratings are down, says "the league isn't fun anymore.'' Players not being allowed to entertain anymore.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Things that could get me to stop watching:

Refs controlling/deciding games (even more than they already do).

I think that's pretty much it.