So why the ratings plunge?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's the games.

The Colts and Texans? Jesus, who wants to watch that dreck. Niners have been on twice, garbage team. Bears twice. Jets, Bengals.........Giants? Bucs at Panthers with three wins between them. Seriously?

BORING
BORING
BORING

If the NFL wants to fix this they have to implement their SNF Flex into ALL the primetime games. Two weeks ahead of time they should be able to cancel the Colts and Texans and flex a good game.......like the Hawks and Falcons!

BChawkfan

Reaction score
253hawk":282rgr8l said:
Smellyman":282rgr8l said:
Commercials!

Judas Priest can we cut them in half!

also, streaming

During the 4th quarter there was a 25 minute stretch of no commercials.

I dont think I saw a commercial until after the Seahawks scored the first touchdown

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2wsfqp2l said:
Streaming. TV isn't as big of a medium as it was 5-10 years ago.

Presidential election and baseball play-offs naturally take some viewers away as well.

Streaming for free online.

Cable is expensive and thus unnecessary to have with platforms such at Netflix, Hulu and online streaming around.

I will say the commercial thing is a big turn off as well, I'd almost rather watch a blank fox background than see ads, so obnoxious.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RiverDog":prv1f1d3 said:
The NFL's TV ratings are down across the board. MNF is down 17%, SNF down 13%, and the morning/afternoon games by CBS and Fox down 3-4%. Despite their color rush gimmick, TNF continues to flounder.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/08/media/t ... index.html

There's been a number of theories proposed, including:

1. The Presidential election.

2. Baseball's post season

3. The Kaepernick effect

4. Overexposure

5. No star power

6. Multiple forms of distribution (streaming, etc)

Is this an anomaly and will return to normal after the elections and the World Series? Or is something else going on?
Yep, ratings are down but who besides the guys trying to sell the commercials really cares?

The ratings don't at all affect my enjoyment of following the Hawks, that I'm aware of.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
There are still as many people as ever watching NFL football. So the ratings are fine...it's just that people aren't watching the games the way the NFL and cable/satellite companies want them to :)

Due to broadcasting rules, lack of options, and the cost of cable/satellite, there has always been a huge market to provide a cheaper and easier way for people to watch the games. We are now very lucky to live in a time where technology has allowed hard-working and driven people to solve this problem.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Personally, I'm just losing interest in the non-Seahawks games. I haven't watched a single Sunday, Monday, or Thursday Night game this season.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I think streaming, as well as other entertainment mediums such as video games, have really cut into viewership. Red Zone has spoiled people like me. Six hours of uninterrupted NFL football means I'm not watching any other games except Seahawks. It also means that when there is a good primetime matchup, I'm less interested in watching it because I'm used to not having to sit through commercials.

The matchups are pretty bad as well, as others have pointed out. I don't think that bad officiating is impacting ratings, nor is Kaepernick, Goodell, or even lack of star power. More and more people are ditching cable (my wife and I are discussing it), and sticking with Netflix.

StoneCold

Reaction score
RiverDog":qz8x3myg said:
The NFL's TV ratings are down across the board. MNF is down 17%, SNF down 13%, and the morning/afternoon games by CBS and Fox down 3-4%. Despite their color rush gimmick, TNF continues to flounder.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/08/media/t ... index.html

There's been a number of theories proposed, including:

1. The Presidential election.

2. Baseball's post season

3. The Kaepernick effect

4. Overexposure

5. No star power

6. Multiple forms of distribution (streaming, etc)

Is this an anomaly and will return to normal after the elections and the World Series? Or is something else going on?

Are there any numbers combining overall viewership on all platforms? Would be a more accurate way to view ratings. Even Variety uses Youtube and Download numbers to set the number one song.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
StoneCold":4ygmj3a9 said:
Are there any numbers combining overall viewership on all platforms? Would be a more accurate way to view ratings. Even Variety uses Youtube and Download numbers to set the number one song.

It's just TV ratings.

But the thing is, baseball also streams their games but their TV numbers for the same period are way up, so different methods of delivery can't be the sole reason for the decline.

Take a look at baseball's playoff matchups vs. NFL teams in those same markets. The Cubs set a viewership record on FS-1 the other night. They're paired up with the Dodgers, a team that has become extremely popular with the large Hispanic population in that area. And what does the NFL have to offer in those #2 and #3 markets? The pitiful Bears and the transplanted Rams that no one in LA gives two hoots about. Or how about in the Big Apple? Jets and Giants going up against the Mets. What NFL team does Canada have to follow, and why would they when the Blue Jays are in the playoffs?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Players and TV personalities constantly complaining about the owners, injuries, Goodell, officiating, so the people watching begin to think it's real.

"The players said Roger has ruined the game, so no sense in watching."

"The pundits on ESPN says the NFL is ruining the health and lives of players, they're all dying from concussions, so I won't support it by watching it."

There's a lot. People tire of the bickering.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":24wmqbgn said:
"The players said Roger has ruined the game, so no sense in watching.".

There's some truth to this, especially with the fun factor. The NFL has become a no fun sterile form of entertainment where Goodell and the owner's want everyone to look and act the same.

No more Fun Bunch, no more Icky Shuffle, no more Sharpie footballs signed, no more Billy White Shoes Johnson or Deion Sanders high steppin' it into the endzone.

So if you're an indifferent fan, which most primetime game audiences are..............why watch when you know you won't see anything of interest or fun?

I love the NFL, but give me a great primetime college game any day of the week. For the sheer atmosphere, excitement of the fans and fun factor alone.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
McGruff":391gdovw said:
Death of rivalries. NFC East sucks, and that hurts national rating. Gone are the Colts/Pats and even the Seahawks/Niners. There's not enough hatred among present NFL payers, coaches and tears to draw a national interest.

Sounds like we need Sherman to rile some folks up.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
McGruff":sy2zqq59 said:
Here's some thing I've heard from people just in recent days.

The Kapernick effect is real. I don't think it is the primary reason, but it is significant.

The awareness of the long term effects of injuries. Among parents of youth this is real. In their minds football is on the same level as boxing now.

Perception of rigged games. In part due to poor officiating, there is a rise in the perception that outcomes are decided before kickoff, or at least guided from above. Football is the new WWF, and the spectacle will only get you so far.

Hatred of Roger Goodell. The belief among many fans is that the game we are watching on Sunday is no longer football, and it's largely due to one man.

Poor primetime match ups.

Lack of star power among younger players, especially at the QB position.

Death of rivalries. NFC East sucks, and that hurts national rating. Gone are the Colts/Pats and even the Seahawks/Niners. There's not enough hatred among present NFL payers, coaches and tears to draw a national interest.

The fact that there's no good rivalries going hasn't been mentioned, but it does make sense. Bears-Packers, Redskins-Cowboys, Raiders-Chiefs all have seen better days.

Russell Wilson would make a perfect young star QB and face of the league, but because he plays in what the rest of the country considers Outer Mongolia, he doesn't attract as much national attention as a young, good looking, well spoken great player would normally receive if he was playing on the east coast. He would be a natural heir apparent to the throne that Peyton Manning gave up.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33sg9eql said:
It's the games.

The Colts and Texans? Jesus, who wants to watch that dreck. Niners have been on twice, garbage team. Bears twice. Jets, Bengals.........Giants? Bucs at Panthers with three wins between them. Seriously?

BORING
BORING
BORING

If the NFL wants to fix this they have to implement their SNF Flex into ALL the primetime games. Two weeks ahead of time they should be able to cancel the Colts and Texans and flex a good game.......like the Hawks and Falcons!

:lol: the colts Texans game was actually good and was won in overtime.

mikeak

Reaction score
Was the game good or was the last 5 minutes good? Either way it is still an issue of perception. You look at it and it is two teams that haven't played well, unlikely to have playoff implications and neither team is playing very fun football.

I get why it was on the schedule before the season started though

classicaaron

Reaction score
its because the greedy nfl makes you buy sunday ticket in order to watch teams you like. I live in the philly market and absolutely despise the eagles but im forced to watch them every week because its the only game on.

luckily I bought the illegal download stick to watch my seahawks but would be nice to just flip to any sports channel and watch whatever game you feel like.

its why college to me is such a better product. every Saturday I can watch the entire top 25 and then some with no effort, flip back and forth between the games and enjoy. NFL gives me the worst possible games, wow that eagles browns matchup I was forced to watch to open the year was really exciting tv let me tell you.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3lfk8y6z said:
Sgt. Largent":3lfk8y6z said:
It's the games.

BORING
BORING
BORING

:lol: the colts Texans game was actually good and was won in overtime.

I'm not waiting around 3 1/2 hours hoping that a terrible AFC South matchup turns into a good game...........and the rest of America agrees with me seeing how dismal the ratings were.

In fact, the NFL needs to institute a "no AFC South Prime Time games" rule. They all suck, they've sucked for a long time, and from the looks of it will suck for the foreseeable future.......stop putting them in prime time.

kpak76

Reaction score
I think people on here are really underestimating the Kapernick effect here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nf ... xvbkllcbvk

The Presidential debate was only 1 Sunday but it does effect it.

Stars have always come and gone in this league.

This is not the first baseball post season happened during the NFL season, why does it effect it now? It's not more exciting this year than it has been the last 5 years.

Multiple forms of distribution means more people watching not less.

Overexposure, anyone believing this needs a quick lesson by McDonalds and Subway.

We don't notice here because we have an exciting team to watch. If I were a Rams fan and saw what Krap was doing I might be voiding the NFL as well. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. Look at the NBA ratings around here when the Sonics bolted out of town. Peoples beliefs do matter in this world, and it turns out there are A LOT of people who still love the USA.