So what's the deal with Alex Collins??

scutterhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3nj6hdk1 said:
I would bet he is and has been a favorite in college of either pete or John, and I bet it's John. I think Pete is giving him every possible chance this year to prove he wants it and belongs here. If they release him, it will be because they have exhausted trying to get him on the same page as the coaching and the mentality of this team.

Judging him just from his play, it doesn't look like he wants it. Goes down way too easy. I'm guessing he is not here next year unless he really turns it around. Might be the same kind of thing Cmike had, where he came here as knd of a star. Collins had a lot of success in college, and probably thought it would be that easy in the pros.

You don't hear the other players talk him up much either, so it could be some locker room stuff behind the scenes, and Collins just doesn't really want to be here.

Agreed ^ I also think that because Troymaine Pope came in as undrafted, and under the radar, Pete might have thought that he'd slip through in the practice squad, obviously, the Jets interests was piqued by what Pope showed in Pre-Season, and decided to give him a try...They signed a RB that they felt had more upside, and sent him to their PS.

I think that Pope is playing with a lot more hunger, and given a second shot at being a Seahawk, he probably thinks that if they decide to let him walk this time, it won't be because he didn't go balls out with effort.

mkamodo

Reaction score
Yah if anyone payed attention to hawkblogger training camp info and such ive heard numerous reports of collins putting the ball on the ground. Next thread plz.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
jerry-seinfeld-deal-with-it1.gif

I was gonna post a typical Jerry Seinfeld "what's the deeeall" thing. But then this came up and laughed.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Everyone knows I'm pretty high on The Pope's prospects as the next big deal running back on the Seahawks horizon. Thomas Rawls is getting back on track and we are gonna see some awesome numbers coming from him the rest of this season, if he can stay healthy. That is my biggest concern with him. Because of his style of play he puts it all on the line every time he gets the ball.

Troymaine Pope is very similar to Rawls in styles, the big difference I see is that The Pope realizes he' s useless to the team if he's injured and can't play, where Rawls will pick a fight with the defense, and damn the torpedos. The Pope knows when not to trade an injury for an extra yard. I think in the long haul, Troymaine will be on the field more of the season playing with that mentality, and will overall prove to be a greater, and more productive RB for the hawks, time will tell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He's a rookie and trying to adjust to the NFL. Not everyone can be plugged in and productive. If he continues to put the work in and he'll get his opportunity. I believe that Eddie Lacy also struggled quite a bit during his rookie year. He stuck with it and became a solid back. Maybe Collins is the same way.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
pacific101":2p1298mz said:
Everyone knows I'm pretty high on The Popes prospects as the next big deal running back on the Seahawks horizon. Thomas Rawls is getting back on track and we are gonna see some awesome numbers coming from him the rest of this season if he can stay healthy. That is my biggest concert with him. Because of his style of play he puts it all on the line every time he gets the ball.

Troymaine Pope is very similar to Rawls in styles, the big difference I see is that The Pope realizes he' s useless to the team if he's injured and can't play, and where Rawls will pick a fight with the defense, The Pope knows when not to trade an injury for an extra yard. I think in the long haul, Troymaine will be on the field more of the season playing with that mentality, and will overall prove to be a greater, and more productive RB for the hawks, time will tell.

I don;'t know if CJ would do it, but, I'd sure like to see Pope hang out with him and learn the nuances of catching balls out of the backfield. It would be a invaluable skill for him if he could learn. That said, he could be good at it already for all I know.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that the whole Alex Collins thing is starting to remind me of when they kept 2 kickers on the roster a number of years ago. Yes, a backup RB has a little more value than a backup kicker, but Collins is looking more and more like a waste of roster space.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Besides him being a personal project of the FO, I think they are worried if they waive him he might not make it to the PS. From the little we have seen of his play, that wouldn't bother me that much.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hic42db said:
Rawls is elite, Pope has the ability to be close to Rawls, and imho, is a similar runner, and Farmer is an elite physical talent.

It's numbers, and I don't think AC was ever a good practice player. He's more of a bruiser that needs holes opened for him, and we aren't getting that from our cobbled together line.

He's a good runner, but the numbers are not in his favor. IMHO, he's slightly above Turbo intalent, a good backup who would be an average starter and requires a lot of carries to get going.

He's just unlucky in that Pete & John are magical when it comes to finding great backs in the middle of nowhere.

That's a really good post. i didn't think of this, but it's possible the coaching staff is keeping him for the future.

When the line gels and starts run blocking better and more consistently, it's possible that they see Collins as going to be an elite fit in the system.