So What Do We Do About This Defense?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2u72m5rr said:
Why would Washington help a team they might have to face in the playoffs?

Didn’t know player trading was relegated only to losing teams within their own conference.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1y8iqgol said:
Why would Washington help a team they might have to face in the playoffs?

They wouldn't, at least not until week 10 or 11 before the trade deadline when they can maximize the trade value.

This is something that should have been addressed correctly in free agency back in February, March or April.

- Fowler (45M)
- Hargrave (39M)
- DJ Reader (53M)
- Quinn (73M)
- Collins (6M)
- Lawson (30M)
- Suh (8M)
- Pierre Paul (27M)
- Joseph (17M)
- Philips (30M)
- Beasley (9.5M)
- Brockers (31M)
- Addison (30M)
- Shelton (8M)
- Wolfe (6M)

There are even more I could have added to this list, and ALL except maybe Quinn that would have been ecstatic to sign with the Hawks, AND most cap friendly 1-2 year deals.

Instead we signed Reed to a 20M contract and signed Irvin and Mayowa. Which would have been fine if we would have already signed at LEAST one of these guys on my list of available D-Line free agents.

RCATES

Reaction score
LTH":2tvji3wa said:
Sgt. Largent":2tvji3wa said:
LTH":2tvji3wa said:
Aros":2tvji3wa said:
Yes, Jamal has been a wonderful gift and has seemed to give life back to our defense that we haven't seen since Kam and Earl and Richard were in their heyday...Our DL is still a mess. Zero pass pressure. Anytime you give Cam Newton the opportunity to throw nearly 400 yards is a problem.

Irvin went out early with an injury so that probably had some effect, but other than that I just think we stink at DL. Talk me off the ledge here.

OK... gosh dang Ill bite...

The Hawks could have signed JC but they thought they would have gotten better production out of #33 for over all play... Good choice in my opinion because obviously they felt that JC was not worth the money or they would have pulled the trigger...

Obviously they think that any of the FA were not going to improve over what they have, Hoping that in the progression of the season they are going to be able to coach up the young guys enough , along with the production from the secondary and Blitz packages, to have just enough to compete for the SB with the outstanding play of Wilson and the O...

But the thing that could blow it all up is injuries... if they lose Irvin or #33... if they stay healthy they are going to be fine.. might see some close games again but it will be good enough...

we just have to be patient and let the young guys develop lets see where we are in 5 weeks..

Just my take

LTH

The Adams trade had nothing to do with Clowney. Adam's cap hit this year is only 3.5M.........and if you brought in a safety to bulk up your D-line and pass rush? Then that's insane.

We didn't sign Clowney because he was only coming back here for MUCH more than he was getting elsewhere because he didn't want another season of being double and triple teamed heading into free agency next year with only one sack again.

Pete and John didn't want to pay him that much, which rightly so. But Plan B shouldn't have been "lets get a couple mid-level DE's and trust them with a couple 1st and 2nd year guys.............AND we're still bad at DT, Reed hasn't done anything.

Really? seems to me that #33 has already has good sack numbers...I just think the reason they haven't signed a DE is because there is nobody they think is worth the money and or they dont think any of the FA are better than what they are developing... this is a fair point... why else would they not sign a DE? I just think you guys need to be patient and let things play out...

LTH

Lol little late when its the 3rd week of the season. Seahawks had plenty of oppurtunity to sign difference makers on the D-Line this offseason. They jacked around and now we have the worst statistically Defense in the league. Scary part is this is a PC team which traditionally focuses on playing good Defense and running the football.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks were busy handing out stupid money to JAGs all off-season. Leaving a lot of us scratching our heads. The team needed an infusion of star power and they had the space to do it.

Their analytics told them coverage wins not, pass rushers, so they didn't chase after the higher priced guys, instead choosing to over pay for JAGs.

The problem is you've got to be at least average at rushing the passer for that philosophy to work. Not bottom 3.

They whiffed on J. Reed, paying him big money for 1 outlier season as well.

Sign Clay Matthews, and make a trade for another pass rusher mid-season when there are more teams willing to sell and prices come down.

Meanwhile, Wilson will just have to keep being near perfect. He's used to it at this point.

Fact of the day: Seattle's Defense has gotten worse statistically for 6 straight seasons. This year would make 7. Pete needs to spend less time with the O, and more time with the D, they need all the help they can get.

hawks85

Reaction score
Aros":3mp8532i said:
Sgt. Largent":3mp8532i said:
No excuses for how bad this D-line is. They knew it, thought they could band-aid it together with midling free agents and unproven draft picks......and so far it's backfired, and even been worse than we thought.

This is what scares me. The DL reallly is as bad as we feared. Ugh. So Russ has to have a MVP season just to mask the truth of our deficiencies on D. We will win despite this horrible DL only because of Russell Wilson.
What's scarier than that, John and Pete say the defense is doing fine. We just gotta eliminate the chunk plays etc...saying the same crap as last year. There is a deeper issue here, and there has to be a change, or we will not make the playoffs. It's only 2 weeks in and our Pass D has given up over 800 yards....that's unacceptable. We will not make the PO playing like this or if we do we get knocked out first round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawks85":3d8e6nod said:
Aros":3d8e6nod said:
Sgt. Largent":3d8e6nod said:
No excuses for how bad this D-line is. They knew it, thought they could band-aid it together with midling free agents and unproven draft picks......and so far it's backfired, and even been worse than we thought.

This is what scares me. The DL reallly is as bad as we feared. Ugh. So Russ has to have a MVP season just to mask the truth of our deficiencies on D. We will win despite this horrible DL only because of Russell Wilson.
What's scarier than that, John and Pete say the defense is doing fine. We just gotta eliminate the chunk plays etc...saying the same crap as last year. There is a deeper issue here, and there has to be a change, or we will not make the playoffs. It's only 2 weeks in and our Pass D has given up over 800 yards....that's unacceptable. We will not make the PO playing like this or if we do we get knocked out first round.

What do you want them to say............OMG WE'RE IN BIG BIG TROUBLE!!

Pete and John aren't stupid, they know their D-line's in big trouble, and I'm sure as we type they're trying to make the situation better.

Problem is, how? Again, the time to address the most glaring need on the team isn't September 21st, it's March 21st.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to spend every draft pick on defense in 2021. And get Dan Quinn back, as a D-Line guy he pairs real well with Pete.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1307854617942929410[/tweet]

bigskydoc

Reaction score
On the positive side, if we do get back to the super bowl, no one will be saying that Russ rode his defense to the title, this time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Basis4day":1uxx5kow said:
I'll just leave this here

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1307854617942929410[/tweet]
That’s nothing. Wait until next week when *allas comes to town. They get away with offensive holding more than any other team in the NFL.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Once the season starts, you are what you are.

This is like those years Saints fans were upset about not having a defense. We might make a move or two, but I doubt it.

Either way, same DC - same problems if not more to come.

We are either the old Saints or the Chiefs a year or two ago. The good news is that both those teams are now some of the better teams in the NFL.

So there is an up from here.

But it is also clear, this will very likely not be our year*

* Unless Russ continues to throw almost as many TDs as incompletions. If he stays on this pace, with 72 TDs for the year? We could win it all. But that is probably unlikely, even as great as Wilson is.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
If Quinn gets canned before the end of the season, we need to dump Norton and grab Quinn right away.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":bnv8f1rx said:
The Seahawks need to spend every draft pick on defense in 2021. And get Dan Quinn back, as a D-Line guy he pairs real well with Pete.

Unfortunately we've spent 7 of our last 10 top 1st or 2nd round picks on the defensive side of the ball, and don't have much to show for it.

Pete and John obviously know this, because they just gave up two first rounders to get someone else's great defensive player. So even they know now that their hit rate on defensive players is not good.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
hawks85":16cmzvv6 said:
. It's only 2 weeks in and our Pass D has given up over 800 yards....that's unacceptable. We will not make the PO playing like this or if we do we get knocked out first round.

Pete Carroll has won every game (8-0) where the opponent has thrown over 400 yds. So at this rate we are going 16-0.

Getting thrown at for 400 yards means you are likely in a double digit lead most of the time. So I'm not worried about passing yards given up. I don't like the points given up, but it seems most NFL games are going high scoring.

35-30 is the new 24-20.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":3m14lo4i said:
Damn, Niners best us to Ziggy Ansah. John and Pete too slow again.

From what I saw of Ansah last year, he's no better than what we have.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
FA DEs are going to be near impossible to find. At least decent ones.

Miller is down. Key SF players are down.

EVERY team needs DL and DE help if they can get it.

We were dumb not to plan better. Now we have to work with what we got, which isn't much on the DL

There is very little chance we can fix this with FA additions. Unless a UDFA rookie pops up out of nowhere and blossoms for us this season.

Really hoping all the smoke they were blowing about Alton has something to it. Just play him. He doesn't need to be perfect. I don't care how many mistakes he makes against the run or in coverage, because he should never be in coverage.

Not optimistic but the only hope is some of these guys we were hearing about do enough to move us from BEING THE WORST DEFENSE AGAINST THE PASS IN THE NFL.

LTH

Reaction score
RCATES":2eygod9y said:
LTH":2eygod9y said:
Sgt. Largent":2eygod9y said:
LTH":2eygod9y said:
OK... gosh dang Ill bite...

The Hawks could have signed JC but they thought they would have gotten better production out of #33 for over all play... Good choice in my opinion because obviously they felt that JC was not worth the money or they would have pulled the trigger...

Obviously they think that any of the FA were not going to improve over what they have, Hoping that in the progression of the season they are going to be able to coach up the young guys enough , along with the production from the secondary and Blitz packages, to have just enough to compete for the SB with the outstanding play of Wilson and the O...

But the thing that could blow it all up is injuries... if they lose Irvin or #33... if they stay healthy they are going to be fine.. might see some close games again but it will be good enough...

we just have to be patient and let the young guys develop lets see where we are in 5 weeks..

Just my take

LTH

The Adams trade had nothing to do with Clowney. Adam's cap hit this year is only 3.5M.........and if you brought in a safety to bulk up your D-line and pass rush? Then that's insane.

We didn't sign Clowney because he was only coming back here for MUCH more than he was getting elsewhere because he didn't want another season of being double and triple teamed heading into free agency next year with only one sack again.

Pete and John didn't want to pay him that much, which rightly so. But Plan B shouldn't have been "lets get a couple mid-level DE's and trust them with a couple 1st and 2nd year guys.............AND we're still bad at DT, Reed hasn't done anything.

Really? seems to me that #33 has already has good sack numbers...I just think the reason they haven't signed a DE is because there is nobody they think is worth the money and or they dont think any of the FA are better than what they are developing... this is a fair point... why else would they not sign a DE? I just think you guys need to be patient and let things play out...

LTH

Lol little late when its the 3rd week of the season. Seahawks had plenty of oppurtunity to sign difference makers on the D-Line this offseason. They jacked around and now we have the worst statistically Defense in the league. Scary part is this is a PC team which traditionally focuses on playing good Defense and running the football.

So you think there is little to no chance that the young guys might get better? You think the Hawks just wasted their draft picks on poor DE's ? you dont believe that the season is a process of growth and development and that the D is just crap unless they sign some big name? REALLY?

I mean it very well might turn out that the young guys dont pan out and the Hawks need to make a FA signing but as to this point in the season the Hawks are 2-0 (it's not just because of Wilson and the O) Yes they need to get more production out of the D line and yes the D isn't as good as 2013... but dont ya think you should just let the Hawks coach these guys up and see where we are in the later weeks to come? Im willing to bet , barring major injury, that by the 4th quarter of the season the Hawks will have this thing sorted out at least good enough so that this team is competing for the Super Bowl..

LTH