So, my question is,......Moeaki or Willson??

CPHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pauj2yg said:
Chawks1":2pauj2yg said:
Yeah, let's get rid if the 6'5" TE that runs the 40 In 4.54 seconds and stays healthy. :sarcasm_on:
Remind me again how big an impact he had in the SB. I'll wait.

He's a solid backup, but some of you can't get past our backups not putting up starter numbers. But hey Scotty by your logic we should be getting rid of a bunch of our D, because all that matters is how they performed in the super bowl, and those guys gave up a 10 point lead.

netskier

Reaction score
Avril's concussion was the proverbial straw that broke the back of the defense in that game.

We need to reduce the injury rate, and/or add another Avril.

King Dog

Reaction score
I like Moeaki, but at least Willson is available for almost every game. Reduce his salary? lol

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Throwdown":22ks8cc6 said:
Moeaki can catch, so him

Very tempting for me to agree because I'm tired of Willson-like and even Kearse-like hands, but Moeaki spends too much time injured. Luke stays fairly healthy and heals very quickly when injured. Hopefully his body control and catching in traffic will improve.

getnasty

Reaction score
The only way Willson isnt the #2 TE at the being of next year is if Anthony McCoy beats him out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Paschtorian":31sdz8md said:
My money's on Moeaki.

Hungrier.

And studlier. Period.

Pay the man,............let Willson warm the bench (at reduced pay).
Please no, Moeaki is a walking injury the talent is there and he can catch a ball but he's painfully brittle and cannot be counted on to actually be on the field. Hopefully with the acquisition of Graham we can move on and let Willson have a chance to develop a year or two more. Or maybe McCoy can actually just beat him out if we're really lucky.

kearly

Reaction score
Moeki is a camp invite type. I think there is a decent chance he signs back with us, but it wouldn't be until June or July or possibly even August.

Luke Willson would be a minor star if he played on almost any other offense and had good hands. His explosive play ability not only makes him a lock for the team, but probably also puts him in line for a 2nd contract. I'm not saying I think he's all that great, but he definitely seems like the kind of player our FO would value higher than most.

For all the grief Kearse gets with his league average drop rate, Willson is actually the one with the biggest drop problem in our pass offense. I'm surprised he nor the team never talks about it as an area they intend to work on.

idahohawk

Reaction score
MrThortan":18wcpxii said:
Willson has some talent and I think potentially has a higher ceiling if he improves his catching ability. This will be Willson's 3rd season and Moeaki's 6th. We seen a lot more of Willson than Moeaki last year and I don't expect that to change.

Not a flame... but does anyone think someone's "catching ability" can be improved once you are an NFL player? I think you either "got it," or you don't. Maybe there are a few exceptions but when is the last time you saw a player that improved his "catching ability" significantly from one time to another?

chris98251

Reaction score
idahohawk":1v703kya said:
MrThortan":1v703kya said:
Willson has some talent and I think potentially has a higher ceiling if he improves his catching ability. This will be Willson's 3rd season and Moeaki's 6th. We seen a lot more of Willson than Moeaki last year and I don't expect that to change.

Not a flame... does anyone think someone's "catching ability" can be improved once you are an NFL player? I think you either "got it," or you don't. Maybe there are a few exceptions but when is the last time you saw a player that improved his "catching ability" significantly from one time to another?

Lazik!

kearly

Reaction score
IIRC Tate had drop issues at ND, then became basically the best set of hands in the NFL. Kearse improved drastically from this days at UW. Big Mike Williams saw his catch rate improve strongly with Seattle.

In general, Seattle's WRs have had some of the best hands in the league as a whole. That dipped some in 2014 when Tate left and Willson took a bigger role, but Seattle is still a good catching team. Part of that is Russell's catchable football technique, but part of that is coaching too.

kobebryant

Reaction score
idahohawk":h92ycwov said:
MrThortan":h92ycwov said:

Not a flame... but does anyone think someone's "catching ability" can be improved once you are an NFL player? I think you either "got it," or you don't. Maybe there are a few exceptions but when is the last time you saw a player that improved his "catching ability" significantly from one time to another?

Darrell Jackson comes to mind.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CPHawk":3jdbkcya said:
Scottemojo":3jdbkcya said:
Chawks1":3jdbkcya said:
Yeah, let's get rid if the 6'5" TE that runs the 40 In 4.54 seconds and stays healthy. :sarcasm_on:

He's a solid backup, but some of you can't get past our backups not putting up starter numbers. But hey Scotty by your logic we should be getting rid of a bunch of our D, because all that matters is how they performed in the super bowl, and those guys gave up a 10 point lead.

When did I say get rid of him? My point was his sparQ numbers didn't really provide a big matchup issue. I could have referenced a half dozen or more games where he was a body on the field. A healthy body that still struggles to make a block. Zach Miller ran what looked like a 5.54 40, but was still a better TE than Miller, because he had good hands and could throw a block.

We don't get glimpses of football brilliance with Willson. We get occasional plays where his speed matters. We get below average blocking. We get enough double catches on his actual receptions to make me wonder if he is ever going to be a solid pass catcher. He fights the ball like it might sting him.

What we don't get is the one thing we needed all year. A post up player who can body a defender and make a tough catch with someone hanging on him. If we have not seen it by now, I doubt we will.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Paschtorian":z4w5nwax said:
My money's on Moeaki.

let Willson warm the bench (at reduced pay).

He already makes 5th round money and his contract isn't eligible to be re-done. But yes, let's ask for a young man to make less money (or we could just keep our hands out of another man's pockets).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":7l2ni83k said:
Very tempting for me to agree because I'm tired of Willson-like and even Kearse-like hands, but Moeaki spends too much time injured. Luke stays fairly healthy and heals very quickly when injured. Hopefully his body control and catching in traffic will improve.
You summed up my feelings succinctly. Thanks.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
For what seems like the third year in a row, I am hanging my hat on Anthony McCoy. If he could only stay healthy. Willson should be placed in front of a Juggs machine throwing cold, wet, overinflated balls at max speed until he gets the hang of this whole "catching a football" thing. Purely my opinion. :th2thumbs:

Largent80

Reaction score
Luke Willson has everything except good hands.

He appears to just let balls bounce off. At some point one would hope coaching can help him, but I really think this is a large problem to overcome.

Tical21

Reaction score
Luke Willson is an awful football player. I dare anybody to watch every offensive play of the Super Bowl and concentrate solely on him and tell me that guys deserves to be on an NFL roster. I have never seen a professional athlete look so lost. He completely whiffed several blocks, was ineffective on the rest, and gave up after 1.5 seconds and started watching the play. Seriously, watch replays. Every running play, you will see 82 standing around the pile watching because he had just missed his block and decided to watch the play instead.

McCoy is the correct answer.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ux99tix said:
Chawks1":1ux99tix said:
So he should be cut?

Latest posts